HL2 Crashes alot

Dario D.

Spy
Reaction score
Quite often HL2 crashes with this error that says something like, "CRC Error: the memory could not be read."

Does anybody else have that problem, or know why it does that?

Have you updated your Half-Life 2 through Steam?

And are you sure you aren't using a cracked version of HL2 :p

Yes, and yes.

I haven't tried HL2 Singleplayer, but HL2 Deathmatch and a singleplayer mission that I downloaded both have the problem about once per hour of gameplay, but very randomly, at the roll of a dice it seems.

The "memory cannot be read" problem plagues thousands of users, just have a look at the steampowered.com forums. You'd think that 9 1/2 months after release Valve would've sorted it out, but nope.

Hmm, dang. Okay, thanks. On one hand, I'm glad there isn't something wrong with my computer. On the other hand, it's annoying to think so that many people have to deal with it.

Cant get past tunnel = crashes all the time

yeah my HL2 crashes as well, ive got the legit retail version. But for some reason on Highway 17 after i do the jump and destroy the flying machine, past the pile of recked cars. In the following tunnel, HL2 crashes on me at the loading screen. On the same spot constantly just one single "beep" sound then freezes on that screen. Later on when ive resorted of Alt+F4 Comes up with a message "not enough resources" or somwhere along those lines. CSS works perfectly.
Can someone help me please... i seriously need it

You can probably load a save (that you can get from someone) just past the part you're stuck.

Sorry, but I don't have any saves. I had to re-install the game. :hmph:

After I got that memory error, Windows disintegrated over 2 months, completely rendering my PC useless for gaming.

I've also started getting a fair few frequent crashes lately... In which HL2 will randomly start skipping, then after a moment come to a complete halt... In the task manager HL2 will have stopped using ressources (not even RAM is moving) and Steam is hogging 100% CPU... All I can do is a forceful closeure of HL2 after which Steam will stop it's "misfit" and proceed as normal without even an error to report.

At first guess I thought it would be all that high-detail crap I installed, but it doesn't seem so, as the game plays fine and doesn't really seem affected until incident happens.

Lately, the crashing has been getting a lot worse.

I tried playing Dystopia demo, and it crashed within 5 minutes the first time I ran it.

I've crashed in HL2: DM four out of the last five times I've played it.

Errr... something wrong with the game?
-
Im running a GF 6600 GT, and the latest drivers on everything.

Dario D. said:
Lately, the crashing has been getting a lot worse.

I tried playing Dystopia demo, and it crashed within 5 minutes the first time I ran it.

I've crashed in HL2: DM four out of the last five times I've played it.

Errr... something wrong with the game?
-
Im running a GF 6600 GT, and the latest drivers on everything.

I'm running a GF4 Ti4600, haven't updated the drivers in a while, and I get the same problem: In HL2, the sound will loop and the game itself will grind to a halt. I get the same thing in Dystopia, and even in non-valve games like Serious Sam and Dawn of War. (Unsure as to whether that's related or not.)

Argh, I hope they patch this soon.

It would if it occured literally every minute, rendering the games in question unplayable. :p

It's gotten to the point where I can't play my HL2: DM anymore, because I get "Memory cannot be read" at random times, at least once per hour of play.

Back