HL2 delayed again?

X-FacToR said:
I think they need to get Condition Zero out the door by feb to be ANY kind of success and it might still not be, a poll at PHL that was titled "Will you buy cz" 63% voted nope lost interest I allong was one of that 63% if the game was released within a fair amount of time after it went gold I think they would have seen decent profits... in the case of halflife1 mods etc time is definately a issue with bigger games around the corner.

I think CS:CZ might be a mild success simply because there are enough uninformed gamers out there that think this might be a full-blown sequel to CS. Anyway, like the guy said previously, when CS:CZ is released through Steam you can expect to see HL2 released a relatively short time later. I'm thoroughly confident that Steam's problems were what led to HL2's delayed release, not some fantastic, 'Mission Impossible'-style source code theft by a bunch of hackers.

I remember a time when the only game on my radar that I cared about was HL2. It was June 2003, I'd just upgraded my rig and was ready to play HL2 to death.

Flash forward say, 7 months, and here I am. Now HL2 is still up there for me, but I have to say that since playing the Far Cry demo, I'm split between the two. Sure HL2 has better characther facial animation, but far cry is the better looking game for the most part. The gameplay is pretty good, and so is the AI.

If Valve had released HL2 on time it would have OWNED 2003. Now they'll have to actually compete against the likes of DoomIII, Far Cry, and Stalker.

Don't get me wrong, I think it'll handle it's own against these other titles, but the impact won't be as strong because now there are several games (or atleast a couple more) that have superb graphics, AI, vehicles etc.

Oh well. I just wish it was out already.

well said I feel the same,, but hey, its Half Life. ;) what a sci fi story,, the only game to get proffessional writers on the job to create an indepth story from scratch, not based entirely on a book, isnt about killing hordes of marines or creatures from hell.. Half life , and Half life 2 are the most orgional creations, ever... the movie industry could do with some Origionality, shame Half life 2 is a game.. :p

bring ON the competition!!11

I am perfectly willing to 'waste' $$ on a whole 'schlew' of good games. :D

personally, I think their septemeber release date, is one of the oldest rules of business... To Underpromise and Overdeliver... however in saying that, nobody here, or anywhere else, apart from a couple of people @ Valve software, have no idea whatsoever, when it will be released... so quit you're moaning...

southparksam said:
personally, I think their septemeber release date, is one of the oldest rules of business... To Underpromise and Overdeliver... however in saying that, nobody here, or anywhere else, apart from a couple of people @ Valve software, have no idea whatsoever, when it will be released... so quit you're moaning...

Let´s stick to the facts here,ok? I would like to have the game in april as promised by Vivendi, but the logic and a bit of aknowledge about the games industry would give us the more posible release date of september as a better candidate. But let´s translate the last bits of info coming from Valve itself:

- In one the last fan visits to Valve, the guy said that they were testing an helicopter in game, so if they are still putting content, the isn´t finished at all. Usually, you stop adding content around 3 or 4 months prior release, for debbuging and beta testing.
- In one of the lasts emails coming from Valve, I think was Rick Ellis who said that he real time lip sync wasn´t even programmed, so just apply what I said above.

So, summarizing, if they are still adding content and programming stuff, well, april doesn´t seem very accurate, so expect another delay almost for sure. And the Inquirer rumour that started this thread is just the confirmation of that.
We say in Spain that when you hear the sound of the river, is because is carrying water, you know what I mean? :(

For all anyone knows, they may have merely been making some last tweaks or bug fixes to the copter's AI.

And as for the Lip Sync:

Yahn said:
We haven't finalized the realtime lip sync so I can't provide info on that yet.

Yahn

Not having finalised it is quite different to not having programmed it... and I'm pretty sure that the realtime lip sync is for multiplayer with people who communicate with audio, not singleplayer. So I'd say that there is even a chance it could be released in a patch...

So we'll have real-time lip-syncing to go with our crappy-sounding mono (I believe it was posted in the Valve thread that they're not upgrading to stereo) voice.... oooookay...

Back