HL2: Delayed until this Fall for CS Source

Zyphria

Reaction score
Given the sudden emphasis on CS Source, I'm willing to speculate that the other multiplayer that was going to be in HL2 is going to be scrapped as it isn't anywhere near as complete or potentially fun as CS Source.

CS Source is a seperate game. Both will have their own multiplayer. There will be no delay so that valve will shift all their attention cs source instead of half life 2.

If HL2 is complete and the Source conversions aren't, then Valve will make the chop and release HL2 on its own. We've all played the original's to the conversions already so that's merely a bonus.

CS:S is NOT "Delayed until Fall." It's always been presumed for a early fall/late summer release. VALVe only said it'd go gold in August, which so far looks accurate. Why do people ALWAYS think VALVe said "HL2 = out in August!?"

it shall supposedly go Gold in August, like Shuzer says, but people are still trapped in the CS:S is HL2's multiplayer mindset which is wrong! There shall be a separate and uniquely HL2 multiplayer. The source conversions may well be free to those who purchase HL2 but their release shall have no impact on HL2's release. It would be ridiculous to assume this is the case!

BTW, I meant HL2, not CS:S, I can't edit my post now, and I must've been distracted when I said that :eek:

RoguePsi said:
If HL2 is complete and the Source conversions aren't, then Valve will make the chop and release HL2 on its own. We've all played the original's to the conversions already so that's merely a bonus.
No, they said when HL2 is finished they will release CS-S. It will have whatever they get done.

ShadowFox said:
No, they said when HL2 is finished they will release CS-S. It will have whatever they get done.

They won't release the conversions if they're not finished. Besides, this is all irrelevent because I'm sure that all projects are well on their way to completion.

HL2 goes gold in august and we should expect it in September.

which means ill be in school and have more important things to do :(

It could still be out in August. It all depends on which part of August the game goes gold in.

It kind of pisses me off when people make threads and call the title sometihng that sounds official, but when you actually click the link you see it's just their opinion.. Yes, we know you think HL2 may be out in Fall, or whenever, but I don't really think it's necessary that your opinion has its own thread in the forums.. Not to mention it's discussed in every thread any way..

Uh, Rumors and Speculation board, is all about opinions and speculation. DUH! :) I'll also stand by my initial opinion. I think Valve is going to cut and run. They know people would be content with CS: Source as the multiplayer, so all they need to do is wrap that up and they're set.

Zyphria said:
Uh, Rumors and Speculation board, is all about opinions and speculation. DUH! :) I'll also stand by my initial opinion. I think Valve is going to cut and run. They know people would be content with CS: Source as the multiplayer, so all they need to do is wrap that up and they're set.

Fact is, many fans are NOT satisfied with CS:S as multiplayer. I'm not even satisfied (even though I'm looking forward to CS:S as much as HL2)

I just want a genuine HL2DM experience.. first party, not some third party mod

Shuzer said:
Fact is, many fans are NOT satisfied with CS:S as multiplayer. I'm not even satisfied (even though I'm looking forward to CS:S as much as HL2)

I just want a genuine HL2DM experience.. first party, not some third party mod

HL2 will have its own Multiplayer.. it was a typo or smth at a magazin that made ppl think CS:S is the mutli.

here's my "theory".. originally valve thought 9/30/2003 was when they would release the game. they later admitted they were way off and couldn't have made that date.

almost a year passes... and not only are we expecting the release of HL2 again, but also the release of cs:s, dod:s, hl:s, etc... seems like to me that valve would have done better to spend all their resources on just getting the base game done and releasing that as soon as possible. instead they decided to convert all this old stuff to source and release at the same time, no doubt making the project longer. i think part of the reason they did this is to justify them taking so long. "yeah it's been a year since we said we'd release the game but look at all the stuff we've been working on!" something like that.

no doubt the game will be sweet and i'm looking forward to playing, and the source converted stuff... but i wish they would have just focused on HL2 and released that asap. "the summer of HL2" is half gone and i haven't even got to play it yet :(

Zyphria said:
Given the sudden emphasis on CS Source, I'm willing to speculate that the other multiplayer that was going to be in HL2 is going to be scrapped as it isn't anywhere near as complete or potentially fun as CS Source.

I speculate that my underwear will be dirty if I shit in my pants.

Zyphria said:

If I'm not mistaken, this was originally posted in the "Half-Life 2 Discussion" board, if not, my bad. If so, maybe I just should have said "wrong board".

yeah, and they said that bots will be included with CS:S... so isn't everyone that bought CZ abit gutted that the bots are going to be free anyway?

Bah.

If I don't see TF: S or Ricochet: S, I'll be a sad, sad person.

I think the latest news on CS:S sort of confirms my theory.

Which news is that?

[EDIT]: Wait, that news about how VALVe want to use CS:S to test Source's multiplayer capabilities among a limited number of people before the release of HL2? How does that confirm that the original multiplayer has been scrapped?

I e-mailed Gabe about it and he replied:
Don't know if we knew this already, but:

Hi!
I was just wondering whether the production of CS: Source was hindering
that of HL2 or influencing its release date at all?
I understand you're very busy so good luck.
Cheers,
Chris George

It's work we have to do regardless (e.g. for multiplayer sample code for
the SDK).

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 5:22 AM
To: Gabe Newell
Subject: CS: Source

Sure sounds like they're just using it to test the multiplayer components of Source to me...

Yes.. But I hope they won't delay it just to polish the damn CS:Source game.

Dunno why they'd do that... I mean, it seems to me they'd give HL2 top priority...

It also seems to me that some people on this forum seem to actively search for things to get disappointed about, even if said things are pretty flimsy...

I willing to put a wager on the game being delayed! Valve have already bulls**tted us numerous times before...

Whats to stop them doing it again?

A growing awareness of squalling "fan"boys?

Seriously, I only recall the 30th of September date as being untrue, and they've admitted that was due to bad planning and over optimism. Anything up till the declaration that it should be going gold in the northern-hemisphere summer has been a cautious estimation at best...

Brian Damage said:
Dunno why they'd do that... I mean, it seems to me they'd give HL2 top priority...

It also seems to me that some people on this forum seem to actively search for things to get disappointed about, even if said things are pretty flimsy...

I'm not disappointed, or looking to be disappointed, or even stir up negativity, merely speculating upon facts using a little logic. HL2 is a priority. Shipping with multiplayer *IS* absolutely a priority.

Shipping with multiplayer that they know that will be warmly received is about as close to being a top priority as anything else. They'll release the SDK as well and we'll see all sorts of multiplayer available. Valve might even turn around and split up their programmers to develop HL3 (already mentioned quite a while back) and to develop another in-house Source title (with strong potential for TF2).

Well, I certainly get that weird ol' "I love being pessimistic!" vibe from some of the people on here...

Thing is, CS:S is not a multiplayer component that will be recieved warmly by everyone. Seems to me they've probably got something at least a little more general (And more specifically, HL2-themed) in its outlook as the main multiplayer component. I doubt they'll hold what could be THE most eagerly-anticipated game of this (and/or last) year back for a multiplayer that might leave a great deal of people (Who don't really like counterterrorism mods) with a bad taste in their mouths... And whoever at VALVe is working on the multiplayer's probably had just as much time to do so as the SP people. CS:S is too specific in its tastes to appeal to a wide enough range of HL2 fans/buyers, methinks...

They certainly seem to be fairly confident of their multiplayer code, at least from what we can tell from occasional eMails referring to the netcode and similar things in the Info thread...

As usual, the only thing we can really do besides speculate is wait and see, and I feel we may not have to do that for too much longer. I certainly hope so, anyway.

Nice thread title by the way. You forgot the question mark, though...

my only concern is the whereabouts of a pre-load on the cs:s beta if it is supposed to be released so soon.. with hl2 coming soon and all

Well, they said the beta was coming in a couple of weeks, didn't they? What would it need for the pre-load, a week? I wouldn't know, I don't use Steam.

Bloody 56k connection...

http://www.csnation.net/articles.php/192/3/

CS-Nation: Is CS: Source the only multiplayer game shipping with Half-Life 2?

cliffe: Half-Life 2 will come with CS: Source. Right now, we do not plan to include any other multiplayer games with Half-Life 2.

Thank you madam Cleo!

Yes? CS: Source is a separate game. Whoop de doo. We want to know about other multiplayer modes. I still doubt it'll be delayed for it...

You're talking to the man with three bookcases, so yes. It says CS: Source will be a multiplayer game shipping with HL2. Not that it'll be HL2's MP mode. Makes it even less likely to delay HL2 IMHO.

I draw your attention to this:

article said:
CS-Nation: Moving to the final release, how will CS: Source be distributed? Will it be available exclusively to Half-Life 2 owners?

cliffe: Counter-Strike: Source will be included with all versions of Half-Life 2. However, we will also make it available as a stand alone purchase for those who'd prefer to purchase CS:S a la carte.

Notice it says ALL VERSIONS? That means CS: S is s a separate game that'll even come with the SP version of HL2. Logically, then, HL2 must have a separate MP. Therefore, I doubt they'll delay HL2 if CS: S is late...

Back