Hl2 Fanfic

heheh, I love this stuff!

Keep it comeing guys, your doing a great job distracting me from my work!

Ok , thanks for the encouragement Theotherguy ! I'll try to finish it then and post it here.

end of

_______________________HALF-LIFE 2 - BEHIND ENEMY LINES_______________________

decreted
I'm starting a new fanfic.

hey mods you made those 2 guys topic about going to Valve a Sticky so mk this too.
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASSE!!

y0!

OMG 6.. 7 and then BAM! 8! It goes on and on!!! AAAAahhhh! :):):)

I havent even read it yet... gonna print it out and read in the train or something... Im looking forward to it indeed. :)

Okay I made a Word 2003 file and a .txt doc with Resistance episode 1 - 8...

The doc file seems empty, as it's size suggests too. Docs are usually larger than raw text files....

Now, after much waiting, another!
I have also attached a word document
_______HALFLIFE-2-Resistance________________
NUMBER 9
Theotherguy

But, in time, their goals seemed within reach. The second floor was easily constructed, they simply used the remaining wood that they had to construct four pillars and the floor itself; if it would stay stable, and however, was another story.

As he drove his last nail into the floorboard of their newly constructed home, Ian smiled at Tonia. All this time, they had still been chained together, using teamwork to accomplish their goals. Ian was a major help to the project, and became generally respected among the slaves. Dr. Kliener, however, was another story. He complained of “back pains” and did little to help the cause except move a few tools around and direct some people into jobs. He seemed constantly agitated, as if waiting for something to happen.

“Tonya, we are done!” Ian said joyously to Tonya. They had completed their first building project in less than half a day. Ian repeated “half a day” in his mind over and over. He felt as if the air had some effect on his mind, it had only been half a day and so much had happened. His country had collapsed, his mother and father were killed, and he was the prisoner of an alien race.

Ian and the others drifted out of the building in an unorganized mass, they still had two structures to go, but everyone seemed to have the attitude that they were done.

Suddenly, as Ian was now kicking his way through the newly-dried mud, he heard a gunshot ring out from the direction of the main podium in the center of the complex.

Smoke trailed out of the muzzle of the Combine officer’s gun, who had fired his weapon in the air. He held up his megaphone and said through it: “Very good comrades, you have proven yourselves worthy to help us construct the glorious Combine Citadel! No worries about your living space, we will take care of the rest, we just needed a basic plan, and besides, we had to do something with your lives and the piles of wood!” The other Combine soldiers laughed at this, as if at some hidden inside joke.

Several of the soldiers went over to where the building had been constructed, and took some very strange looking devices out of a bin. They placed each of the devices on the four corners of the building, pressed a button on each one of them, and they sprung to life with beeping sounds and lights.

The Combine soldiers fled from the area, as a huge green energy spout began appearing on each side of the crude structure. There was an enormous zapping sound, as electric sparks sprang from the devices, and then, teleported out of nowhere came two identical buildings to the ones that Ian and the others had built, parallel to the original building. Ian could hardly believe his eyes.

“I’ll be damned, they teleported buildings in from Xen, ingenious!” Dr. Kleiner exclaimed. So, apparently, to save time on the useless slaves, The Combine simply teleported exact copies from their home world of Xen, Ian had no idea how they did it, but he just had to accept the facts.

“Excellent! The teleportation is complete, sadly, we cannot do the same with the Combine Citadel, we have to construct that ourselves. All you slaves, report to the center podium, where we will begin construction on the Citadel!” Said the Combine officer, and he turned and began walking to the podium.

“This is where the real work begins” Dr. Kleiner said with a sigh. Ian knew this could hardly mean a good thing. What was this citadel? And what terrible things would it do?

But there wasn’t time to think about it. Just as Ian was walking toward the podium, he heard a huge screeching sound from one of the walls. Ian saw several flares go up, and red lights were flashing all over the place, apparently it was a siren.

“AIRSTRIKE IN PROGRESS!” said a massive booming mechanical voice emanating from the podium in the center of the complex. To Ian, this meant one thing… hide; But there was nowhere for Ian to go, only the mud around him, and the structures which were now far away. Ian chose the mud.

“Hit the deck Tonya!” Ian shouted as he tackled the mud on the ground before him. Tonya did the same, and so did the other slaves around him. Ian looked into the cloudy sky for signs of the air strike. Within seconds, he could see the icy blue engine glow of human jets.

Usually, Ian would he happy to see such a thing, but knowing that their bombs and missiles were aimed at him was not a good thing. The two jets streaked over the complex at fascinating speeds, followed closely by the anti-aircraft fire and SAM fire from the complex.

Ian saw as a missile was fired from one of the jets. It began streaking towards the podium, but was veered off its course by some unseen force. It slammed into the ground, exploding a group of Combine soldiers and slaves, rocketing them high into the air. There was nothing left but a crater.

The two jets flew past; their sonic engines making a screech as they ended their pass on the complex, but Ian knew they would be coming back for more. The Combine wouldn’t let them damage their complex.

Then, just as the jets were making their second pass, Ian heard what sounded like the rotors of a helicopter, and out from behind one of the walls hovered the most frightening thing he had ever seen in his life.

Magic-Sim said:
The doc file seems empty, as it's size suggests too. Docs are usually larger than raw text files....
Weird... Oh well I was in a hurry so thats probably it... Im using my work puter since I dont have a printer @ home, and I cant use too much time at this cuz ppl would become suspecious or something so thats prolly it.. But TheOtherGuy got the brilliant idea of making one himself ;o)) so I wont make a new one.

Number 10!
Not that long, but at least this time you don't have to wait. I will realease a word document after every other post.

___________________half-life 2 resistance________________________
Theotherguy
NUMBER 10

At first, Ian thought the thing was an animal of some kind, as it moved with fluid motion through the air, as if it was some kind of sleek flying creature. But then Ian noticed the large propeller in the back which kept it aloft. The whole vehicle looked somewhat like a flying manatee, and it was the first alien vehicle Ian had ever seen.

It was obviously brimming with weapons, judging by the various spikes that stuck out of it. It made the most terrifying sound, the whirring of propellers accompanied by the roar of jets in its front, as well as the alien beeping and pulsing that emanated from its hull.

The aircraft picked up speed and altitude, momentarily blocking the sun from Ian as it flew over him. The two jets swooped around to meet it, quickly zooming into attack position. This is when the alien craft began to fire.

A huge zapping sound blasted from the alien vessel, a super-bright flare of light shooting out of the spikes in its front, sending out rapid-fire sky-blue beams at its targets with autonomous accuracy.

Despite the amazing speed of the human jets, one of them was struck with the blue beams from the alien vessel. Its wing was cut in half, and then its gas engine ruptured, and the aircraft exploded, leaving a trail of smoke behind it, and a deafening boom.

The other jet, however, managed to launch of an air-to-air missile at the ever-firing alien ship, and then pulled away from the complex. The alien ship attempted to dodge the missile at first, firing wildly at it, then, something very precarious happened.

An electrical charging sound emanated from somewhere in the alien gunship and the missile simply stopped in its tracks, and fell harmlessly to he ground below, without exploding.

The alien craft now turned to chase its fleeing adversary, firing two missiles of its own. These missiles were far faster than their human counterparts, and made short work of catching up to the human jet and crashing into it, creating a rippling blue energy explosion, and causing the pilot to eject from the jet, at which point he was ripped up by the shrapnel from his own plane, and fell lifeless to the earth below.

Upon seeing this, the Combine soldiers began cheering, and firing their guns in the air. Ian hardly felt like celebrating, slowly, he stood up.

“Are you alright?” he asked Tonya. “Yes” she said fearfully. Ian walked over to doctor Kleiner, who was hiding behind a piece of debris like the coward he was. “Is it over?” he asked nervously to Ian. “What the hell was that?!” Ian asked Dr. Kleiner, rather than answering his question.

“Oh, no doubt the Czech Republic was retaliating, that thing that you saw was the Alien Gunship; The Combine’s major form of air force, we’re just lucky we weren’t killed!”

In the future, Ian would learn to fear the Alien Gunship. Whenever something went wrong, the officers would fire up flares, and one of them would appear to make short work of the threat.

“Quit standing around slaves!” shouted the head officer. “There is nothing left to be seen! As you can see, your pathetic military forces are no match for us! There can be no resistance, now get to the podium so we can get to work!” One of the slaves got nervous, panicked, and bolted in the direction of the East wall. The officer calmly got out his pistol and made a clean headshot, downing the man without hesitation. “Anyone else?” he sighed, almost detached.

Ian feared his situation was getting worse and worse, and he still didn’t know how he would ever get out of this complex, as his own military was clearly not suited for the task. He didn’t even know if humanity could get through this invasion alive, but he seriously doubted that they would.

Rather good. I personally would have waited until HL2 was out and we all had some idea of the plot before I wrote a fanfic, but these are good.

Although, I'd substitute "Peculiar" for "Precarious" in the last chapter, theotherguy...

. Although said:
lol, yes, that was the word i was looking for ;)

Heh, anyways, heres the newest one..its number..11 isnt it?
Now they will be divided into chapters every now and then, and I have included the word document as promised!

_____________________half-life 2 resistance________________
NUMBER11
Theotherguy

Ian and Tonya moved slowly towards the podium yet again. Ian was frightened by the dead bodies of the slaves that had been blown sky high by the missile, as they were now being neatly piled next to the podium; Ian suspected that they would be used for dissection and cloning purposes.

When they reached the podium, a two story metal structure, they were met yet again by the officer in charge. “Alright, slaves, this is what is called the podium, and it is the center of the Combine Citadel. The Combine Citadel will be the center of your lives from now on. You will spend all day helping to construct it, and all night listening to the wonderful sounds that will come from it.” The officer boomed over his loudspeaker as he was standing on the top of this podium. “The purpose of the citadel is to create a strong force in the area, it will serve as a teleportation device for our troops and equipment, it will also serve as a communication tower, so that we can easily contact other citadels on this planet. But, it’s most important role is to grow on it’s own, and spread it’s “roots” under the surface of the Earth in order to mine it’s precious resources, the Citadel walls will also spread throughout the city, and will devour any resources above ground that we find.”

The officer made a motion with his hands that represented the spreading of the citadel, as if trying to explain to a less intelligent people. “Your work will begin with the welding of metals based on a strict plan provided by the officers, sometimes you will be accompanied by the alien slaves, other times not…(our alien slaves are becoming more rebellious by the day), after the mainframe of the central teleporter, you will construct its many walls and facilities. Then, the structure will basically build itself, at which point you will be ordered to go into the newly built mines, and help with the mining of resources, and after that, we will kill you.”

He beckoned for another officer to come near him, and whispered something into his ear. The other officer nodded, and took the megaphone from the leader. “Alright you dogs!” he shouted, “You will make a single file line in front of the entrance to the podium, you will not touch anything, and you will be given tools to weld and structure the metals that will be teleported from Xen, as we have a small teleporter already in place. You will not touch anything important, and you will do exactly as the officers say!”

Upon hearing this, the other soldiers began herding the crowd into a line. Ian was shoved about by his comrades, and eventually was standing in the center of a very long line. Officers began going down the line and unshackling the slaves from each other. For the first time in just under a day, Ian was unshackled from his cousin. He glanced painfully at the red mark that was left on his hand.

Ian thought that the Combine soldiers were insane; how could you expect a couple of hundred untrained slaves to construct a massive futuristic teleporter? Ian would soon get his answer.

-Chapter 7, Workload-
Ian and the others were handed tools, far better than the ones they used to construct their own homes, but Ian thought they could hardly be used to construct such a daunting structure as a Combine Citadel. Ian didn’t even know what the things were.

For example, he was handed something that looked like a large gun, but it was obviously alien, and had a blue glow to it, at its front it had three prongs, as if it was used for grasping something. Tonya was handed nothing, and Ian assumed that she must have been too young to handle such unwieldy tools.

Ian tried to test out his tool, yanking on the thing that appeared to be a trigger at its bottom. “Don’t touch that!” The officer next to him said, pointing his weapon at Ian’s head. Ian quickly lowered the tool. “You will test it in time.” The officer said, moving down the line.

“Ah!” Dr. Kleiner said excitedly, “These are inventions of Black Mesa! However, they are modified quite a bit; for instance, these look like gravity guns and constraint tools!” Dr. Kleiner turned his tool around in his hand, looking at every part, obviously excited to receive such a thing.

Ian didn’t understand anything that Kleiner said, and he was just shoved along the flow of the line, right into the dark depths of the structure before him…

Aha! So that's where the manipulator came from...
Very very good...

lol, why dont they use them as weapons?

you know, technically, Ian would be the only guy in the entire game wih a European accent. Everyone else I've heard has an American accent, including the citizens.

after actually reading the FF, I take back what I just said.

Sorry.

Six Three said:
lol, why dont they use them as weapons?
you'll see! (this is why the combine soldier is so ancy about Ian pointing the manipulator at him) :naughty:

Heres the next one!
________________________half-life 2/ resistance____________________
NUMBER 12
THEOTHERGUY

The structure was far louder than Ian had expected, he could hear mechanical clanking and churning all about him, and it was also very hard to see. All that he could see, in fact, were the blue and orange glows of the tools that the slaves carried.

And then, right ahead of them, something lit up. What had lit up were the construction lights that surrounded a combine soldier, who stood in the center of a group of sandbags, holding a weapon in his icy grip.

Again, Ian felt frightened that The Combine would choose to kill all of them here, this structure their mass grave. He tightened his grip on his tool, as it ever increasingly felt like a weapon of some kind in his hands.

He could feel that Tonya was tugging at the back of his shirt. “What is it?” he asked her. “Look!” Tonya exclaimed, pointing in the direction of another light.

Ian saw green and orange lights in the direction Tonya was pointing, they surrounded some kind of hole, probably the beginnings of a mine, but that wasn’t what Tonya was pointing at either. In a group outside of the hole stood several strange alien creatures, they stood on two legs, and had three spiny arms; they were bent over in such a way that they reminded Ian of the Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Their skin was a green tint, and glowed every so often, but out of all, their most prominent feature was the group of 3 red eyes that covered most of their spiny heads. Ian was disgusted.

“What on Earth are those things?” he asked Dr. Kleiner. “What do you mean those..” Kleiner turned in the direction Ian was pointing and screamed. “W-w-why those are Alien Slaves! They were all over Black Mesa, I barley escaped them when I hid in the dumpster…I mean when I fought my way out with a crowbar!”

Dr. Kleiner started looking more and more like a coward to Ian.

Upon seeing the humans, the alien slaves made some noises, and ran off into the hole. All of the sudden, there was a shout from the combine soldier Ian had seen earlier. “This is the center of the podium!” he shouted, “This is where you will begin construction of the Citadel. We will teleport in pieces of metal, at which point the slaves carrying the gravity guns and constraint beams will hold them in place, and those with welders will well them together…we will take care of the rest.”

The soldier began directing slaves to certain parts of the room, and teaching them how to use their tools. “It’s rather simple,” Dr. Kliener told Ian, “All you have to do it point it at an object, at which point it will light up, and then you pull the trigger and hold it, and as long as you have the trigger held down, the object will be suspended in mid-air. You can not use it on Combine soldiers, I’m afraid, since its programming won’t allow it, trust me, I’ve tried.”

When all of the slaves were in place, the Combine soldier made a hand motion to the others, and suddenly, in the blink of an eye, bars of strange looking metal appeared all over the room, almost without warning.

And then, there was a bright flash of light, and what appeared to be green, holographic representations of the beams appeared in a pattern that looked like the frame to a building.

Ian guessed that you had to put the bars in place where the holographic ones were, a lot like a puzzle. Ian decided that he best try to actually do something, so he pointed his tool at the nearest bar, and pulled the trigger.

Instantly, out of the tool shot a blue beam, it appeared to be made of energy, but at the same time looked fluid. The beam latched onto the bar, and Ian was easily able to lift the thing into the air, turn it, and roughly place it in a vertical position in the location of its corresponding holographic counterpart. An electronic beep was heard, and the hologram disappeared.

Then, Dr. Kleiner aimed his tool at the base of the pillar and pulled the trigger. A red beam shot out of it, and instantly melted the base of the pillar, firmly securing it to the metal flooring.

After seeing this method of construction, the other slaves began doing the same. Meanwhile, the Combine soldiers stood by, amused, and pleased.

After quite a bit of beaming, the slaves managed to place all of the metal bars in the locations they were supposed to go. “Stop!” shouted one of the officers.

“Now, we will teleport the rest from Xen!” he exclaimed. Immediately after he said this, a huge green flash appeared, and panels seemed to come out of nowhere, filling up the spaces between bars. After all of the space was filled, there was another green flash, and a huge yellow machine of some kind appeared going through the center of the newly-constructed structure, and reaching all the way to the ceiling. “Ah, the teleporter!” said Doctor Kleiner, staring up in amazement.

“That’s all you have to do! “Said the officers, and they began taking up the slaves tools and throwing them into a rolling bin. Ian was very surprised that this was all he had to do, but the officers were right, immediately after the yellow thing had appeared, the structure began expanding all on its own, slowly teleporting in more metal, and constructing itself with anti-gravity fields, the process looked incredible.

After their tools were all gone, the soldiers directed the slaves back to their sleeping structures, where they would be locked for the night. Ian checked his watch, it was already 8:30, and it had been the longest day of his life, a day like no other, a day that his fellow slaves and countrymen would dub “dooms day”. Ian settled down in an uncomfortable wooden corner, with Tonya and Kleiner near by, and in his exhaustion, quickly fell asleep.

theotherguy said:
you'll see! (this is why the combine soldier is so ancy about Ian pointing the manipulator at him) :naughty:

You can not use it on Combine soldiers, I’m afraid, since its programming won’t allow it, trust me, I’ve tried.”

You Lied! You Promised me a Combine Anti-Grav ASS KICKING!! I DEMAND SATISFACTION!!!!

Six Three said:
You Lied! You Promised me a Combine Anti-Grav ASS KICKING!! I DEMAND SATISFACTION!!!!
I said you would see why he doesnt use it as a weapon, and there will be a combine anti-grav ass kicking in a little while...Ian just hasnt figured out how yet (i'll give you a hint: he can pick up heavy metal bars)

theotherguy said:
I said you would see why he doesnt use it as a weapon, and there will be a combine anti-grav ass kicking in a little while...Ian just hasnt figured out how yet (i'll give you a hint: he can pick up heavy metal bars)

By Saying "he can pick up heavy metal bars" didnt you just tell me how he fights the combies? How about the mean general guy with the loudspeaker (the one near the "podium" stands on a board, and IAN LIFTS IT UP A MILLION FEET AND DROPS HIS SORRY ASS!! just a though...

If you picked up a heavy bar with the grav gun wouldnt the actual grav gun become the weight of the bar....

the thing would fall outa your hands and crush your feet.... :LOL:

poor gordon will be a lepper by the time he finishes Hl2 :cheese:

Kryptic17 said:
moooooooooore....
Hold your horses, I have a life too!

anyway, now...after much anticipation....
NUMBER 12
__________________________half-life 2/ resistance____________
THEOTHERGUY
NUMBER 12

The next day, Ian was awoken by the sound of a loudspeaker emanating from the compound walls. “Get up slaves, another day of work, this time; you’ll be in the mines!” It was the sound of the lead officer’s voice. Ian got up slowly, and looked around, and he saw the officer, walking around the grounds, and shouting out orders on his loudspeaker to the slaves and soldiers around him.

Ian could also see the group that had been conscripted into the Combine Army; they were being marched around the grounds, carrying sticks in the place of rifles, constantly being followed by the propaganda trucks and officers. He could hear what was blasting out of the trucks:

“The Combine is your friend, you are The Combine, The Combine wants to help you, and you will fight for The Combine…The Combine is your friend…”

The Combine is your friend. That seemed to be the slogan for their propaganda, Ian could hardly imagined being brainwashed by such repetitive trash, but he didn’t intend to find out what it was like.

Ian, Tonya and Kleiner moved out from their structure and into the grounds. It was bright outside, and the other slaves shielded their eyes from the sunlight. The mud had turned into packed dirt, and sand was blowing every place that there was construction going on.

The group of slaves took the now familiar path to the podium, but they noticed something strange… Sticking out of the top of the podium was a tall spike, and it seemed to be growing by the second. Ian guessed that this must have been the start of the new Combine Citadel.

The slaves were motioned into the structure by guards carrying guns; Ian averted his eyes from the guards as he marched into the interior of the podium. However, the interior of this structure was no longer dark, as it was being lit by the moody lights that littered the ever-growing teleporter in the center of the room.

Ian noticed that there were more tunnels now, about six of them, leading off in different directions of the room. “Mines,” said Dr. Kleiner. Ian and the rest of the slaves were led down one of the deep, dark, tunnels. It was accented by the rows of mustard-yellow lights that lined its rocky interior, ever advancing into the darkness of the tunnel.

The soldiers marched the slaves down the long, narrow hill for quite some time; Ian could smell the musty smell of the dirt around him. After a while, the tunnel widened, and the accent lights were insufficient to light the subterranean cavern. The officers were forced to take out their flashlights, so that the others could see clearly.

The 300 or so slaves lined up in the cavern, as they were directed by the officers, none of them could make out the size of the room that they now stood in. Ian could guess by the echoes and reverb that his footfalls made that the cavern was very large, no doubt it took The Combine quite a while to construct such a cavern, or so it seemed.

When the party of slaves had completely lined up in 6 rows, one of the officers began waving his flashlight in the air, and radioed something to another officer somewhere else.

Judging by the glows that now came from the eyes of the officer’s gasmasks, it was obvious that they had night vision, and didn’t need any additional light to see. However, if the slaves were to work, they would need more illumination.

Suddenly, the slaves got the light they needed. There was a massive creaking sound, and light sprang forth from the center of the cavern.

-Chapter 8, Light and Dark-

The light came from what looked like the intertwining, twisting roots of a massive metal tree. The roots spread out all along the floor of the cavern, and they were covered with navigation lights. These “roots” were actually the collection ports of the Combine Citadel, which was now spreading its way under, as well as above city-17.

The officers explained that the slaves would simply dig massive quantities of dirt from the surrounding area out, and then sift through it. Anything solid that was found, rocks, metals, or minerals would be carted to one of the roots, where it would go through a conveyor system, and The Citadel would sort precious metals and useful minerals out of the mixture, and use it for the good of the combine.

However, not a speck of dust would be wasted, as every grain of sand would be chemically separated to make silicon (for the computer components). The operation would be carried out with great efficiency, until the entire subterranean system would spread throughout city-17.

Topside, similar efficient methods would be used to spread the mighty Combine war machine across the expanses of city-17, harvesting buildings, vehicles and even people from the city around it, this process, however would be much slower than the mining process.

The slaves were handed pickaxes and shovels, hardly high-tech tools, and were marched off to the walls of the cavern. It was going to be a long day for Ian.

I believe you mean Number 13 :)

Ah, and this thread has reminded me to finish Uprising #2. Is anyone excited yet? </sarcasm>

Your writing is really good, theotherguy. I can see the constructions and the people in my head when i read it(not like the hl2 screenshots, or because of them). Not many authors can do that. Just read all your stuff in one go. Great quality. Keep it up.

vgard said:
Your writing is really good, theotherguy. I can see the constructions and the people in my head when i read it(not like the hl2 screenshots, or because of them). Not many authors can do that. Just read all your stuff in one go. Great quality. Keep it up.

thank you, that really means alot to me :thumbs:

Yes, bravo theotherguy, great job on the stories. If you ever write a book, ill be the first one to buy it!

Well, I finished the second part of my story, HL2: Uprising. I've uploaded both parts of my story for those who don't want to go searching for my first part.

Now, here's Part 2:

////////// Half-Life 2: Uprising
----------
////////// PART 2 -- Blackout

Thick sewage sprayed about as Erik toppled backwards, taken completely by surprise. "Holy... God... Shit!" were the words he managed to form, while a large lump collected in his throat. His PDA slipped from his hand and shattered across the nearby wall. Modified with an impact-resistant covering, only the thumb-sized memory block survived. He hoped he would remember to recover it.

The Combine Metrocop, as their species someteimes identified themselves, took two steps backwards and raised its MP7 personal defense weapon. It, as gender was impossible to discern, pulled back the weapon's slider, pushing a small yet extremely deadly metal slug into the barrel. Erik lost control of his bowels. Nobody noticed.

"On your feet, criminal!" came the warbling, digitalized speech from the Metrocop's translator. Still frozen with fear, Erik hesitated. Taking a single step forward, the Combine ordered again, "Citizen, obey or you will be terminated!"

Realizing what was about to happen, Erik hurried to comply. He stood himself on legs that seemed curiously nonexistent, and terrified though he was, he knew he was making the best choice possible. Even if he was taken into the Index, and summarily to God-knows-where, he still had a chance to fight.

The soldier grabbed Erik's shoulder and roughly turned him about, then patted him down for weapons. Finding the 9mm sidearm, the Combine ejected the full clip and slipped it into its equipment belt, and dropped the pistol to the floor. A synthesized order to "Start moving!" barked out from the Combine's translator, and Erik began to walk.

He marched down the sewer. But not fast enough it seemed, as the soldier's weapon stock was jabbed sharply between Erik's shoulder blades. He let out a yelp of pain, and crumbled to his knees.

"Increase your pace, criminal!" the alien ordered him, and before Erik could rise, pushed the felon's face into the sewage for good measure. In the Combine's eyes, the petty criminal deserved more punishment than he recieved. But any more, and the Combine would be demoted to the dishonorable position of Runner. The soldier shuddered at the memories of that rank, but the pleasure of torturing the human just a little bit more pushed those memories aside.

The Combine's boot, after what seemed like an eternity, was lifted from the back of Erik's head. His lungs screaming in protest, he managed to roll himself over and let the air rush into his deflated lungs. He took a deep breath, and worked his way to a standing position, still gasping for breath. "Burn... in hell... you... BASTARD," he spat at the Combine's face.

What amounted to rage began to build in the Combine's mind. The last word of the sentence had no Combine equivalent, but the first four words were not lost on the soldier. It moved to crack the MP7 down on the human, but stopped itself short. Demotion would be too much, would destroy any chance the Combine had of becoming a Metroleader, and instead chose to let the insult slide. There would be more opportunities to get revenge, and those opportunities would involve no punishment to the soldier. For now, the only thing that mattered was getting the human topside, and into the capable hands of the Indexers.

Once Erik caught his breath and began again toward the lighted sewers, he heard a faint crackle of static, and knew the soldier was alerting nearby Combine, or announcing Erik's capture. Or both. His spirits plunged even deeper than before. He now had no hope of escaping now.

The pair followed Erik's path from the dumpster, but in a move that half-surprised him, he was ordered along a different route. Rather than move east to the hidden entrance, the two marched down a wide but completely dark sewer, interspersed with smaller pipes that drained sewage into the passage. Erik swallowed loudly as he realized why they changed routes. SHIT, WE'RE GOING INTO THE CONTROL ZONE. Past the walls that ate away at the city was an area completely controlled by the Combine. Most humans who were taken inside to the Index were, from what he had heard, shipped off-world, and those who remained were enslaved by the aliens. IT CAN'T GET ANY WORSE THAN THIS, he thought to himself, and nearly vomited in fear. The soldier clicked its barrel-mounted tactical flashlight on, and a beam of light cut through the darkness.

After nearly an hour of walking, what amounted to a small army of Scanners, with an additional five Combine surrouding Erik and his captor, had collected nearby. Quietly buzzing through the adjacent sewers, the Scanners were, true to their name, constantly scanning for the presence of lifeforms. It was hardly worth the fuel to check for humans, but the Scanners were here to scan for OTHER lifeforms. As of yet, Erik had never seen any creatures other than the Combine soldiers, but he had heard... stories... of them. Horrible stories that made him truly afraid of them. Headcrabs, bullsquids, controllers, HYDRAS... The list went on, and for each new story he heard, he had become more paranoid, always checking the shadows for anything. His eyes darted left and right, continually searching for movement in the drainpipes.

The lead soldier's radio hissed with static, its sound-insulator broken, and words of a vaguely-human but alien tongue reverberated off the cold steel walls. Once the transmission ended, the leader flashed a set of hand signals, and the soldiers immediately stopped. And waited.

Erik opened his mouth to speak, but a voice stopped him short. "No talking," was the Combine's order. And they continued to wait.

And wait.

The soldier to the left, of which only the glowing red eyes were visible, seemed to look at Erik longer than any of the others. THAT'S ODD, he thought, and something began nagging at the back of his mind. It was something about a Combine soldier, but he couldn't put his finger on it... As he racked his memory, he looked straight at the soldier. It stared right back, and Erik noticed something different about it. But before he could figure it out, he heard the sound of metal scraping metal, and a dim column of starlight shot down just ahead of the group.

The beam of light was cut to pieces as a Combine soldier stepped into the manhole and descended down the ladder. A second figure, likely another captured human, followed it down the ladder. A second Combine followed the prisoner, and pulled the manhole cover back, cutting off the only natural light in the passage.

It was then that Erik realised there was not only something different about the soldier on his left, there was something different about the sewer. Something had changed since they had stopped. He looked around, and heard nothing. NOTHING, he thought... THE SCANNERS ARE GONE!

At that moment, the soldier off to the left deactivated its tac-light, and splashes of running feet sounded in the smaller connecting sewers. They were getting closer. The Combine on the left clicked its weapon's safety off. Erik thought he heard a muffled laugh.

The splashing got closer, until several muscular, avian-legged lifeforms moved into the main sewer. One put its hands together, and a large ball of what looked like electricity formed between them. The Combine soldiers' armor and equipment began to rattle, and seemed to be attracted to the ball of electric charge. The lifeform's hands moved apart to accomodate the growing charge, and then clapped. Blue threads of electrons shot out in all directions. All of the tac-lights immediately flashed off. The faint hiss of the Metrocops' radios disappeared, as did the dim glow of red eyes.

Suddenly, small bolts of lightning flew from the other aliens' locations. Some shot wide, hitting the damp steel walls and firing sparks in all directions. Other bolts managed to find their targets in the darkness, burning holes through all but one Combine soldier as their weapons fired blindly, strobing the sewer with light. While collecting a charge, one of the new lifeforms managed to absorb several 9mm slugs, until an either skillfully-placed or very lucky shot obliterated the front of its skull. It toppled forwards, and with the very last of its energy attempted to stop its fall with its hands. The charge that had collected had somehow remained between the alien's hands, and the instant it reached the liquid waste covering the floor, Erik's vision went black.

////////// END PART 2

Is it any good? I really want to know if it's worth continuing.

Yes its worth continuing for sure.

That last bit has left me on a cliff hanger and i want to know what happens lol.

Seriously though. The last part was very very good. :)

I like the part when Erik blacks out cause he gets electro-ma-cuted. Maybe you can give Erik some sort of Nuke gun that he finds in a garbage can, and he drinks and alien juice that gives him super-human strength!!11!!!

excellent story...it reminds me to put more action into mine. Good ideas there. (I especially like the part where they are deported off-world)

Thanks for the compliments:E, more good reviews means faster progress (one person said something about part 1 so it took me awhile to start on part 2 :)).

But I also want some constructive criticism to help me improve my writing. Like... What didn't you like about the story? Is the pacing too jumpy, too slow? Stuff like that would be great.

Back