HL2 got 9.2 from gamespot

I hope that they give at least 9.4 like the original (HL1), because everyone that reviewed the game are saying that is better than the first.

KagePrototype said:
:LOL: I can't beleive some of you are actually dissapointed with a 9.2...according to Gamespot:

No reason to be pissed off at Gamespot because they didn't think Half-Life 2 was god's gift to gaming.

9.2 is a pretty low score for a game that has been hyped as much as this. But then again Gamespots review system seems to be pretty strict.

I don't know about you guys, but I value a realistic honest score than a "omfg, all those reviewers gave this game a good score! That must mean that we should also review this game just like them!".

So did they put 9.1 for Halo 2 first? Did they ban anyone?

Max00 said:
9.2 is a pretty low score for a game that has been hyped as much as this. But then again Gamespots review system seems to be pretty strict.

So, because it's hyped, a "superb" score is now "pretty low"? :|

The problem with Gamespot is their average system. Gameplay may be a 10 but if they feel the graphics are a bit dated (last year) they may give it an eight. Audio is also highly subjective. Most games today have stellar audio, but how Gamespot subjectively comes up with their ratings is unknown.

Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games. Even at the time of its releast the graphics were dated. The game was still a heck of a lot of fun.

Until Gamespot starts taking in games as a whole, I will take all their reviews with a grain of salt. Gameplay matters. Not a grading system.

well i hoped they would be so impressed by the game as to give it one of the highest scores ever, but superb isn't too bad..

Gamespot.com is a grate site and do have really good reviews and give us insights in to games all the time. Lets not forget they did give us The Final Hours of Half-Life 2. People are so spoiled, we really don't know if 9.2 is the score as of yet we have to wait about 30 more mins. to find out for sure. I will be glad even if the game got a 9.2 because of all the bad things that happened. A 9.2 is a grate score and I'm sure other site will give it a higher score or a lower score. So, what? As long as you like the game that's all that matters. :borg:

KagePrototype said:
So, because it's hyped, a "superb" score is now "pretty low"? :|

I mean although 9.2 is a very good score mabey it just didnt live up to the very high expectations (through Gamespots eyes anyway)

Poster has almost 3k posts, so I'm inclineed to believe it.

9.2.... pitiful...never go to gamespot again after I read the review that makes HL2 equal to far cry and less than halo...never..

we11er said:
lol someone released it early, then realised their mistake :D
Yeah, at how low the score was. And on their scale, UT2k4 is more superior? <fanboy>Blasphemy.</fanboy>

Fletch said:
hmm, expected higher, based off other reviews. will read now - thanks :)

edit:well as if 9.2 aint high :dozey:

edit: wait a minute!! where is it??!!
whats better than editors choice?

9.2 is pitiful considering Far Cry got 9.2. Looks like i'm never visiting Gamespot for reviews again since their system seems pretty flawed.

Lets wait for the review though... 19 mins 30 seconds.

Of course this could be last minute bullshit....

Posted at 7:03

Second Poster couldn't see it at 7:04.

Score is not beneath GS, however...hmph.

Rhalle said:
Poster has almost 3k posts, so I'm inclineed to believe it.

9.2.... pitiful...never go to gamespot again after I read the review that makes HL2 equal to far cry and less than halo...never..

Have you played HL2 yet? Oh wait, you mean you haven't?

Shut your face until you've played it yourself.

and the oranges best game Halo 2 got 9.4 ... wtf!!!!!!!

our apple game is gettting 9.2, like FarCry? No waaaaaaayyyyyy! Even if FC was great!

Well...o.k. Ill be quiet as soon a Far Cry and Halo get a lot better.

10 min or so left..

One reason it could've got 9.2 is the lack of multiplayer... In fact, I hope it's score did get decreased for lack of multiplayer, that'll teach them for not including it.

most people here know based on the existing reviews that HL2 will be a better game than Far Cry you know. You dont have to of played it to know that....

Maybe it got a 9.2 instead of a 9.4 because they were confused playing a game on a PC platform instead of a repetive console format.

I would take off 5 points atleast for lack of normal death match :|

This thread should be deleted or locked since it's spreading false information.

Gamespot reviews are shit. They rate mediocre multiplayer games with horrible single player experience as being a 9.4 such as the crappy UT2004 which nobody plays except the bots :D

By the way Halo2 got a 7.6/10 from gamingNexus :)

One of the most thrilling times for me since the announcement of HL2 :D

StardogChampion said:
One reason it could've got 9.2 is the lack of multiplayer... In fact, I hope it's score did get decreased for lack of multiplayer, that'll teach them for not including it.

Counterstrike: source is MP and is included with any package you buy. Sure it's not new, but it's not like the original half-life had very good MP out of the box. It was just boring death match if i remember correctly. Personally, i don't really care what score Gamespot gives HL2, i just want to read about the details and get the opion of someone who has actually played it. My only problem would be if they knocked points off of HL2 for not including MP while a game like GTA:SA gets a 9.6 without any hint of MP. It's not that i need to see HL2 get a high score, i just want to know that the GS scores are consistant so it's easier for me, the consumer, to use their reviews when i want to purchase a game.

Some people continue to advance the idea that the score is meaningless without the words - I can sort of understand that.

And yet, isn't the score supposed to reflect the words?

LAking said:
Counterstrike: source is MP and is included with any package you buy. Sure it's not new, but it's not like the original half-life had very good MP out of the box. It was just boring death match if i remember correctly. Personally, i don't really care what score Gamespot gives HL2, i just want to read about the details and get the opion of someone who has actually played it. My only problem would be if they knocked points off of HL2 for not including MP while a game like GTA:SA gets a 9.6 without any hint of MP. It's not that i need to see HL2 get a high score, i just want to know that the GS scores are consistant so it's easier for me, the consumer, to use their reviews when i want to purchase a game.

Gamespot seems to only care about multiplayer, so even a crappy game with multiplayer can get a great score. The funny thing is that statistically no more than 10-15% of people who buy games play online. Don't trust gamespot, their reviews are usually shit :D

well it's out...9.2...I expected a little more though, not necessarily 9.8 but meh.. :/

i cant ****ing believe this , this is the same reviewer as the one that reviewed halo2! i demand another reviewer since he is a halo2 fanboy!!! :[

Well look at all the other reviews:

Pczone benelux: 95%
Pczone uk: 97%
pcgamer uk: 96%
pcgamer us: 98%

etc..

I think this says more about the gamespot reviewer then about hl2..

I read the first paragraph. It sucked. Disappointing story? The last thing I would ever believe about HL2. Rant off.

Pitiful. Just Pitiful. Gamespot...

San Andreas, a game about being a drug dealer, driving monster trucks, and mowing down civilians, all done with rehashed and ugly and dated technology gets a better score.

Same score as Far Cry, which I'm sorry kids, was crap.

Never returning to Gamespot, ever.

Back