HL2 internet activation and early shipping?

P

PMan

Does this mean that HL2 can ship early to stores and infact be sold early but won't be able to be played untill activation is turned on?

Valve said that as soon as they hear about a store selling they will activate the steam distribution.

But surely a store selling the game doesn't matter, if it needs to be activated online before playing? As long as that activation isn't working a boxed copy is still not going to work.

I think Valve is fishing for reasons to release the game early over Steam. If you havent heard, Valve wants people to use Steam. :p What better reason to use it than to get games earlier and easier?

In order for Valve's statement to be true, the Steam servers must be set to validate retail copies no matter when they're purchased. Which would make sense, since it's not the consumer's fault that a store broke street date.

I'm hoping that BestBuy breaks it. They have tons of money, they could afford the fine easily, and get an advantage on everyone else. ;)

But surely a store selling the game doesn't matter, if it needs to be activated online before playing? As long as that activation isn't working a boxed copy is still not going to work.

Yes, which is why they will activate it when they become aware shops are selling it.

Gotter said:
In order for Valve's statement to be true, the Steam servers must be set to validate retail copies no matter when they're purchased. Which would make sense, since it's not the consumer's fault that a store broke street date.

I'm hoping that BestBuy breaks it. They have tons of money, they could afford the fine easily, and get an advantage on everyone else. ;)

Well, yea they'll be getting fined up the arse. But I also read somewhere, that constant abuse on breaking street date according to the contract between Best Buy and the Publisher, could also result in the publisher not allowing best buy to sell it's products if abused enough. I heard that somewhere, I don't know if it is true or not.

UmbrellaMaster said:
I think Valve is fishing for reasons to release the game early over Steam. If you havent heard, Valve wants people to use Steam. :p What better reason to use it than to get games earlier and easier?
good point

<wildspeculation>
Hmm... maybe Valve will unlock HL2 for Steam purchasers when the first retail HL2 CD-Key is registered?
</wildspeculation>

Goombatommy said:
Well, yea they'll be getting fined up the arse. But I also read somewhere, that constant abuse on breaking street date according to the contract between Best Buy and the Publisher, could also result in the publisher not allowing best buy to sell it's products if abused enough. I heard that somewhere, I don't know if it is true or not.

No publisher would ever drop a client like Bestbuy. That would be the height of stupidity to drop a customer that buys as many copies as they do.

It's pays to be big. ;)

why dint valve just get a copy off the production line and install it at one of their home pc's, then it would count, rite?? so wed get it then, ie, they could do that now (if they were being produced now)

rf

UmbrellaMaster said:

Could be, but how should VALVe allow retail users to register their game and deny steam users access to the preloaded data at the same time?

UKchaos2 said:
Valve said that as soon as they hear about a store selling they will activate the steam distribution.
Has Valve actually said this, or is it just a rumor?

valve has said that they will activate steam once they hear about it being sold retail anywhere. So odds are steam users will get to play before 16 of november, especially since the game is so big.

Everyone seems to be saying it, but i have yet to see where valve "officially stated" that they will do that. Anyone have links?

rumblefish said:
why dint valve just get a copy off the production line and install it at one of their home pc's, then it would count, rite?? so wed get it then, ie, they could do that now (if they were being produced now)

rf

This would probably be in violation with their contract with Vivendi Universal, because in your case, Vivendi didn't actually sell the game.

otomo said:
valve has said that they will activate steam once they hear about it being sold retail anywhere.
Shacknews.com suggested this, but I've not seen an official or even an unofficial statement from Valve. Do you have a link?

a few stores (ebgames, gamestop) have changed thier dates to the 15th.....

BUt if game will not get out before release date which i doubt then steam users will not play early.

Someone post a SOURCE for these "Valve have said" statements. People rabbit it on and on and on and I've yet to see one shred of evidence that it is, in fact, true.

otomo said:
valve has said that they will activate steam once they hear about it being sold retail anywhere. So odds are steam users will get to play before 16 of november, especially since the game is so big.

Shacknews said this, nothing from VALVe...

cadaveca said:
a few stores (ebgames, gamestop) have changed thier dates to the 15th.....

Most of the sites i've seen say this is the date the pre-orders are shipped out. So they recieve it on the 16th.

VUG Site:
Pre-Release
ETA: 11/15/04

Game Type: Shooters
Platform: PC
Availabile: 11/16/04!

Goombatommy said:

(I work at Best Buy)

This has never happened to our store, and I've never heard of it actually happening at another store, but it's possible:

If a Best Buy sells something early, they can get fined by the publisher, the publisher may quit shipping them releases before the street date, or the publisher may pull all of their products from that store (probably after repeated problems). The store is screwed if this happens (imagine if a huge publisher like Vivendi, Warner Brothers, or Fox pulled ALL their products from a Best Buy).

cadaveca said:
VUG Site:
Pre-Release
ETA: 11/15/04

Game Type: Shooters
Platform: PC
Availabile: 11/16/04!

dude, look again at that you just pasted. Notice how it says Avaible? 16th Nov. Pre-release, 15th nov (when the pre-releases are sent out).

or you could interpret it that pre-release orders are to arrive the 15th...

lol here we are, arguing over one day. :dozey:

cadaveca said:
or you could interpret it that pre-release orders are to arrive the 15th...

lol here we are, arguing over one day. :dozey:

hehehe its all we have to argue about lol...

ok im going out for air now.

Yombi said:
hehehe its all we have to argue about lol...

ok im going out for air now.

GIVE US THE DAMN GAME ALRE-DAY VALVE! PUH-LEEZE....

maybe i'll just go buy Starwars:Battlefront, and blow up some droids for fun. :rolleyes:

From the official FAQ at the Steam website:

"When will I be able to play my games?
º Counter-Strike: Source is available now!
º Half-Life 2 will be unlocked, the moment it is "released" - which means the minute it is available on store shelves.
º Day of Defeat: Source and Half-Life 1: Source release dates are to be announced."

I believe the second bullet actually means that once it hits any store shelve - it is unlocked. We'll see...

/ Kobbe

^ like hell thats what it means!

if thats the "official" statement from valve then thats no proof whatso ever

I can see valve unlocking HL² before the 16th if it hits the shelves early, as valve dose not want to lose steam sales due to a early retail release. I was able to get The Sims 2 three days before the slated release date from EB games but that was EA not VUG so we'll see.

So the official message is a bit fuzzy (who would expect anything else...). BUT, it makes an awful lot of sense to unlock the game immediately when any store in the world starts to sell it (and Valve knows that some stores will sell it early - as always).

(speculation)

1) Valve does not want to mistreat Steam subscribers (said before)
2) Steam will run red hot the first days of release - if I was Valve I would make sure my entire team of software engineers sat with every possible tool in their laps - AND I would unlock the servers for a smaller group of people at least 24 hours before the official release to test the servers and tweak the code if necessary (makes an awful lot of sense). They have created the argument for an early unlock already in the FAQ wording (I and guess they have the same in the contract with Vivendi)

Pure speculation through...

/ Kobbe

Thanks Stage - Had not seen the Steve message before. Makes even more sense now.

/ Kobbe

If it's true that all copies will be unlocked as soon as someone activates a retail copy then we we definitely be getting it early.

Over in the UK I've order about 10 new releases from gameplay.co.uk and ALL of them have came the day before release (due to them sending it out two days before release to catch the 2nd class mail thing).

We will be playing on the 15th if thats the case.

Wooooo.....yah!!!!!!......hm..... maybe i should go pre-order my retail version? Would make sense so that it's not sold out...... hm..... do you think hl2 will sell ot in lotsa places???

someone contact VALVe about HL2 will unlock early news..

DigiQ8 said:
someone contact VALVe about HL2 will unlock early news..
someone hoax getting an early version..... *again*... heh

-- actually don't because it is sad.....but i jst think it's funny...even postulating that it might happen..... :naughty:

Back