HL2 Multiplayer = Shocking

tokin

Reaction score
This is so unbelievable....i am so incredibly pissed and im not just flaming to piss people off. Ok so these games might be kinda cool on the source engine especially TFC and CS but big deal! Why was TF2 not mentioned? I hear it's suppose to and now that it isn't going to be. And oh lord there better be some sort of HL2 deathmatch. I am "shocked"

What the hell are you ranting about? They haven't mentioned anything about HL2 MP yet...

tehsolace said:
What the hell are you ranting about? They haven't mentioned anything about HL2 MP yet...
They have. there is new video footage out on the net.

True that the current HL mods dont have that much 'potential' than Source allows. I really hope there will be a proper MP later then or a lot of Source would go to waste.

To repeat myself:

Gabe: "One of the big questions is, 'what about multiplayer?'. So we decided to combine the most popular online action game with the power of the Half-Life 2 engine. And..."
<Counter-Strike appears on video display>

sweet tokin........

maybe when we find out what the mp actually is ill come back to this thread.....

dumbass....

Tbh, I highly doubt CS-Source is the only multiplayer component of HL2.

CS won't even be free, so if CS was the only multiplayer part then HL2 will be shipping without a multiplayer component, and I highly doubt that.

Gabe even announced it himself guinny...wtf is wrong with you. It will prolly be CS and HL2 deathmatch....knowing they are going to charge for these damn games on the source they surely will make TF2 seperate for like $50...so damn crazy.

mortiz said:
CS won't even be free, so if CS was the only multiplayer part then HL2 will be shipping without a multiplayer component, and I highly doubt that.
CS2 won't be free. This is not CS2.

for gods sake, nothing has been said about hl2 multiplayer, they said that Counter Strike will be ported to source, and will not be free. They havent even said anything about CS2.

Six Three said:
for gods sake, nothing has been said about hl2 multiplayer, they said that Counter Strike will be ported to source, and will not be free. They havent even said anything about CS2.

i dont know... the way Gabe put it in that video it sounds like CS is going to be their core MP component of HL2. perhaps some poor choice of words... but it certainly was implied that from the context of the question asked immediatley before.

this is 'counterstrike source' not cs2.

lol these people are retarded! HL2's MULTIPLAYER WILL BE COUNTER STRIKE ON SOURCE and possibly a deathmatch style!

CS will have a source engine version but this is a seperate product from hl2. Lets put this rumor to bed plz.

CS is far more popular than HLDM, so is only natural that its this thats showcased.

There isn't even going to be a CS2 the way Gabe was talking, Just CS source that they will upgrade like they are doing with CS at the moment.

CS source WILL NOT be free.

Mp

It is being reported on actiontrip.com that CS is indeed the mp part of HL2. Hopefully an admin here can confirm. Admin at mentioned site said he spoke with Gabe and this is what he got for info. Still, seems poor judgement to just release CS. I realise there is a fan base for the game but I myself am not a part of it. I like DoD and TFC (occasionally) now if they can get rid of bunny-hoppers I can be a happy person.

Didn't Valve mention ages ago that both TF2 and CS2 would be stand alone commercial products?

Obviously they wont let the franchise die though. Rest assured there will be a CS2.. eventually.

Look at Everquest. They (the eq dev team) are taking their time working on EQ2, but still have 2 expansion packs planned for the original game to keep the current player base happy.

i'm not sure at all if the cs is going to be hl2 mp, the way gabe said it......keep waiting, and what really makes the wait better is the new bad quality eurofiles vid, it's a thousand times better than the official pre-e3 vid, everyone should check it out

According to Gabe's reaction at the end of the movie. I think there's no "CS2", well it is "CS2" but they don't call it "CS2".
Think about it, CS 1.x, CS:CZ, CS source, and CS2... that would be too much. I think CS:CZ should never have been made in the first place.

Some places state that it will be sold seperatly; I really don't think HL2 will ship without multiplayer!
Even if it would come with HL2, it would be really surprising (stupid) that there's no standard multiplayer including weapons and elements from the single player mode.

With the few info we have on MP and and the fact that there's also an other demonstration we still haven't seen, you have no reason to be pissed yet.

tokin i will bet you anything you want that cs source is not hl2's mp

Hasn't anyone remembered how a few weeks ago those Belgium students got to go into Valve HQ? If I remember correctly they saw a multiplayer map called Car Chase or something, and it although it wasn't mentioned it certainly sounded like a HL2 DM map than some sort of CS map.

People are really over reacting here.

The Mullinator said:
Hasn't anyone remembered how a few weeks ago those Belgium students got to go into Valve HQ? If I remember correctly they saw a multiplayer map called Car Chase or something, and it although it wasn't mentioned it certainly sounded like a HL2 DM map than some sort of CS map.

People are really over reacting here.

no no no, that was the car trap, and they showed the video of it

If CS is the MP of Half-Life 2, then shouldn't it have been in the leaked version? Well there wasn't CS in the leak (I haven't tried it, but no one has said anything abou CS in it), so why would they have had to rewrite the MP code again? Ah, I'm tired, hope you get my point. My view is that CS isn't the MP of HL2.

All I know is, regardless of if there is a Half-Life 2 Deathmatch mode, there's something else. And that something is else is TFC with Source engine properties. And that my friends, is my dream come true. Add in the original Half-Life's deathmatch with the source engine, and we are looking at some brilliant, mindblowing shit. If you think for even half a second modmakers arent going to make deathmatch maps utilizing vehicles and the like you're crazy. We should be convulsing with joy, like I am at this very moment.

TFC with Source Engine :) :) :) :) :) :)

Wsh said:
They have. there is new video footage out on the net.

Thats footage of CS with the source engine implimented. No one at valve has given any reason for us to believe that cs source or cs2 will be hl2 mp.

Well I've seen the vid, and Gabe sure makes it sound like that's the multiplayer.

That was an amazing vid even if the quality was terrible it was amazing. The confused mp message was a let down but from what I understand cs-source is not going to be hl2 multiplayer just a good excuse for valve to make a lot of money. What I wander is if we will have to pay seperatley to update cs and tfc because I play both and I would hope that I only have to pay once to update the source of all the main mods. Obviously all the smaller mods will be free.

If I had to guess the hl2 multiplayer it will most likely be HL-Deathmatch like the original. I don't know where TF2 fits into all of this, I guess I could always hope that TF2 is in fact the HL2 multiplayer but I think that is unlikely some how and it is more likely that is going to be yet another game for us to buy seperate from HL2 and resourced cs and TFC, although that's just a guess as well.

I loved that bit in the main vid where he picked up the grenade with the manipulator and threw is back at the combines lol.

Ritch.

Some of you people are in serious denial. Shacknews and EvilAvatar are both reporting that CS-Source is HL2MP. If it weren't, why would Gabe display it in an HL2 presentation, and say "Some people have been wondering about multiplayer...", and release it at the same time as HL2?

Gabe: "oh geez, I almost forgot to tell you all, the actual HL2MP is something completely different and totally exciting. which I'm not going to show you. at all. buy my game!"

I wouldn't be too surprised if there's some kind of minimal-effort HL2DM mode included, but... bleh. DM is even more overdone than CS is.

No, I think you guys are wrong. Some one asked gabe "Is that a mod for half life 2?" He was not sure how to answer that because all half life and all mods and expansion packs will becoming out in source. Meaning that its just and upgrade. At least thats the way it appears to me. I belive they showed it because, it is the most popular game online, and they want you to buy it.

Despite the fact I liked Counter-Strike.. A bit too much. I really HOPE Valve is not going to release Counter-Strike:Source as their main Half-Life2 MP. Something that highly doubt anyway. I would really like to see a CTF, Deathmatch type of game with the Half-Life2 Theme, With the manipulator, vehicles, City 17 maps and such...

One thing that would be very cool is Valve release Half-Life2 with his own MP like I said before but with Counter-Strike:Source as a mod that you can download for free via Steam (Personally I don't see the point of selling the same exact game with updated graphic)... And after awhile they'll release Counter-Strike2 as a whole new game, not just a simple remake. And Valve could sell it as a Retail game.

What do you think?

Well it's all very confusing as to whats going on, we will have to wait and see and only hope to figure out wtf is going on with the multiplayer. WE BETTER HEAR SOMETHING ABOUT TF2...DAMN

Even if HL2's mp turns out to be CS:Source (which is fine by me), just wait for the hordes of excellent mods that are going to come out for HL2. We are sure to have many great ones to play in the coming years!

All I want to know is when CS:CZ2 comes out!!!

j/k

Anyways, I think that what Gabe said in the video leaves a lot to interpretation. He said that people have been asking about multiplayer...not HL2 mp specifically. Obviously it was an HL2 demonstration, so it can easily be assumed that it is the HL2 mp...or at least a part of it. I'm hoping that that's not all there is to the multiplayer aspect, but I'm sure it'll come out in a valve e-mail or at E3 within the next few days.

For now though, it kind of seems like they're skirting the issue of saying definitively whether or not it is part of the HL2 mp. Their choice of wording in the presentation and the fact that they ignored the specific HL2 mp question in the info from valve thread makes me think that there may be something more beneath the surface...

Here's hopin'

Gabe said Half-Life 2 would be releasing in 3 versions. One would be SP only, another SP + MP, and the last would be the Collector's Edition.

My thoughts on this is that reason they have put both an SP as well as an SP+MP combo package is because the MP is all of the Source versions of the HL1 stuff. I know people have already speculated that the Source versions will be the only Hl2 MP, but it seems like some people were having confusion as to when Counter-Strike Source and the others would actually release. Gabe said himself they would release at the same time as HL2, so having them bundled in as the MP makes sense.

Back