hl2 multiplayer

Darkknighttt

Reaction score
what do you think half-life 2 multiplayer will be like?! Cast your vote here!

Wait Wait! How are we supposed to cast a vote when there isn't a flippin poll!? AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

eer...anyways.

I think it's probably going to be pretty much like single player, except with multiple players...

Personally I hope theres DM, maybe some coop.

It will blow youe mind, I know what its like cause my dad is friends with this guy, who knows this girl, whose the sister of this enginner who works for this other guy who knows Gabe.

I think as for killing people you don;t only shoot them, theres also traps just like in traps in multipplayer also, and itll be cool to use that weapon(whatever its called) to pick stuff up and launch them at people.

There won't be co-op right off the bat. That will have to wait for the Sven-coop team. As for other multiplayer, i think there will be the basics(dm, tdm, maybe ctf), as well as some kinda really cool teambased objectine type thing. The teams could be the combine and the resistance forces. None of the locations would be anywhere that Gordon goes, but other conflicts around the city.

It'll be TF2! and I'm going to conc jump everywhere!! If you can still conc jump that is. Hmm, wonder what it would be like to conc jump with the source engine. When you hit a wall will you bounce off of it?

hopefully as fun as HLDM!!!

TF2 will probably be released a few months after HL2.

Does anyone know if the physics are going to be toned down for multiplayer? I hope they aren't...

I think it will be team based with a class structure and specific objectives and I expect more than just capture the flag. The maps should have a variety of interesting scenarios and themes. If Valve wants it to really rock they better not just try to recycle single player levels but rather created elaborate scenarios/maps from scratch. If they can make a team based game as fun if not better as the one that came with let's say RTCW (but also including vehicles) then I will be quite happy :D :D :D

Hopefully the team based mode will have enough depth (class based with vehicles) to inspire the map making community to create a wide variety of new maps and we will be playing the game for years and years.

I also hope that they will create a HL2 deathmatch, I think they could throw this together pretty easily and perhaps reuse/rework some of the single player levels and create a deathmatch as good as HLDM (I played hundreds of hours of HLDM and I think its the best DM I've ever played, the weapons/weapon balance is what made it special IMHO) I'm hoping for as good as HL1 deathmatch but also including vehicles and physics.

:dork: Valve has been promising something special so, it better exceed Farcry's multiplayer...

I think a combine vs. resistence fighters gameply mode would be cool!!

With all the secrecy surrounding it im guessing its something they have created from scratch that we will never guess. If its not that creative and blow your mind new then there would be no point in keeping it so damn secret...

VALVE ANNOUNCES MULTIPLAYER: Enjoy CTF and DM with HL2! Our unoriginal and already played-to-death form of multiplayer that we suprised you with.

That just doesn't seem like something Valve would do. Hence, expect the unexpected!

Alright let me throw my two cents in on this subject.

First off, you must understand for until very recently, I was a full-fledged TFC ADDICT. I considered it my favorite online game ever (I'd still put it in my top3) and I loved Half-Life deathmatch quite a bit as well.

As for TF2, they have said it will be sold as a stand-alone product, so no I doubt it will be with HL2. I'd love to be wrong on that of course, but I won't be getting my hopes up regardless.

Anyway, I don't care WHAT the HL2 multiplayer is. It can be vanilla deathmatch for all I care, it is still going to kick ass. I see people on various forums complaining that if HL2 deathmatch isn't something revolutionary it's gonna suck. Well I think that's a load of BS. Just imagine the original Half-Life deathmatch...but with the Source engine. That alone would be amazing. Now add in vehicles and whatever new features and modes Valve has no doubt cooked up for arguably one of the biggest PC games ever and you just know it's going to be something great.

As for the physics being toned down, why would they? Far Cry keeps a good portion of the physics intact (with the bodies and vehicles at least). Actually that's what has got me excited for HL2 multiplayer even more, through Far Cry I've realized that those little things like the ragdoll and physics and all that really do make the gameplay even more fun, and can really spice up what would otherwise be a vanilla deathmatch mode.

I guess what I'm trying to say is what everyone else thinks, and that is that HL2 deathmatch, whatever it may be, is going to be a virtual heaven for online FPS fans.

And that's just the beginning...then there will be TF2...that my friends will be when I disappear off the face of the planet. :)

-----

I totally 100 percent agree on that. And if you happen to not like hl2 multiplayer, in the future TF2 And Counter-Strike 2 will be released and you definetly have to like them!!! I'm sure there will be tons of mods also.

Hell yeah man, just the thought of the possibilites is too much. I seriously don't wanna think of what people are gonna come up with because it'll make the wait so much worse....ooh, a They Hunger-type game...a new Counter-Strike style game...argh I gotta get my mind on something else

Speaking of Counter-Strike 2, I would assume they will also try to sell that as a stand alone product, so hopefully they will cook up a single player for that? Sorry to go off-topic, but just imagining anything on Source sounds awesome.

BTW : Is TF2 going to just be MP, or will it also be SP?

I wonder how Counterstrike 2 will be as far as play compared to the original. I know it will have physics, talking on the faces of your teamates and stuff. I'm mostly concerned with the fact that with a new engine they get much larger map sizes. This seems like it would take away from the fast paced firefights and standoffs that occur so commonly in CS. Everyone would be all spread out and everything. What do you guys think?

I personally would think they would avoid changing the map sizes because of the affect on gameplay...

Thoughts?

Darkknighttt said:
All of the physics in singleplayer will be the same in multiplayer!

You missed my point. What new multi-player types can be created with physics? Giving somebody a manipulator during a multiplayer will be fun but not revolutionary. I expect Valve to somehow use the physics system to make a new multiplayer mode.

For some reason I am imagining a multi-player match with some interesting Z-axis fighting possibilities.

Hard to guess at what they have planned, but what i'd like to see is an attack and defence game type.

Resistance vs Combine in some kind of city environment.

Along with normal DM and TDM as well, those were so fun in hl.

HL2 multiplayer doesnt exsist and is there so that we can say this to ppl "man hl2 is gonna be cool, cause m/p is teh 1337"

About the CS2 and TF2 questions and stuff in this thread:

My take on CS2 is that it will be standalone. I think pretty much everyone already thinks this though so it's nothing new. For better or for worse, CS is immensely popular and they would be crazy not to release it for retail because it WILL sell massive amounts of copies, I have no doubt about that in my mind. As for single-player being implemented, I suppose they could but I'm not really sure they will. Everyone who plays CS just wants the multiplayer aspect. I'd love a single player campaign though, perhaps something in the vein of Rainbow Six campaign modes, you with a squad of guys hunting down various terrorist factions throughout the globe.

Regarding CS map size, well keep in mind just because they CAN make the maps bigger doesn't necessarily mean they have to, ya know? The guys behind CS know not to mess with the formula too much as it's obviously a winning one as is. All I know is a CS with ragdoll would make it a whole new ball-game in terms of entertainment. You know how when there's only one person from each team left at the end of the round, it's always high tension and then one of them dies and it sometimes happens in funny ways? Well imagine two guys left, they finally see each other and one gets hit with a sniper round and flies off a ladder into a pile of crates. It would just be so damn cool looking and would add to the whole experience, for me at least.

As for TF2, that's a good question about the possibility of a single player. I can't really imagine how a campaign would work in that game, unless you meant single player as in just the multiplayer mode but with bots. I'm certain there will at least be that.

For one thing, if CS2 doesn't have updated models, that are actually good (The "high-definition" models that were released for CZ, are completely crap!) I sure as hell won't be buying it :p

what if one day a magical hedgehog would come to ur house and say that cs2 sucks, but it was good, would u buy it?

Darkknighttt said:
I totally 100 percent agree on that. And if you happen to not like hl2 multiplayer, in the future TF2 And Counter-Strike 2 will be released and you definetly have to like them!!! I'm sure there will be tons of mods also.

Agreed; and with the netcode being rewritten to avoid hacks and cheaters, the future of HL2 (and Source) based MP is looking very bright indeed. :cool:

Even in far cry you could turn ALL physics on but it isn't playable. I imagine something very similar in HL2.

Quixote said:
Even in far cry you could turn ALL physics on but it isn't playable. I imagine something very similar in HL2.

I think the physics system in HL2 will be more streamlined and less demanding then that of Far Cry. If you have a dcent computer, I see no reason why it shouldn't be ok.

Taken from ign.com

What's up with TF2?

We went right to the, ahem, source. Here's the word from Valve's Doug Lombardi: "Some time after we announced Team Fortress 2, which was then being created on the HL1 tech, the decision was made to move the project to the Source Engine, the same engine used for HL2. The project is still in development here at Valve and we will be announcing more info after HL2 ships."

I suspect a possiblility of tf2 being shipped with hl2, or some other mod. I remember gabe saying in the past that there will be some suprises included so, make your own assumptions.

Man HL2 will own all other games, maybe even HL1.

Think about all the cool mods: Dod2,NS2,CS2,TF2...the list goes on.

I'm going to throw chairs and crates at people, and when they pull their crowbar up, i'll blast'em with my gauss cannon.

This has been said b4 , pyshics in MP will be client side and server side, depending what role they play or how essential they r

so ide say the pyshics in MP will be better then u think

Cutey_Kaite said:
what if one day a magical hedgehog would come to ur house and say that cs2 sucks, but it was good, would u buy it?
Rofl

I'm fearing that the "official" MP will be a CS / TFC hybrid kind of game, not 2 separate ones.. But I'm still praying! ;p

There will be a coop mode at least, made by the SvenCoop team. It was officially announced and all.. Can't wait to try that :e

KurtCobain said:
This has been said b4 , pyshics in MP will be client side and server side, depending what role they play or how essential they r

so ide say the pyshics in MP will be better then u think

too explain:

Large objects like say a cars wreckage will be seen to move with physics by all players.

however a Can or a bottle will not be seen by all players.

IIRC.

I reckon there will be another version of HLDM and they will keep TF2 CS2 and DOD2 as standalone titles. I think they will let the mod teams do the rest :)

No, no, no....you're all wrong.

Valve will make a unique, realistic WWII multiplayer of course.

Back