hl2.net giving me virus warnings

Ok, I haven't had any virus problems, but I do have something kind of similar that I find annoying.

Look here:
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52447&page=2&pp=15

On post #27 there is this weird link to "serious sam." The poster did not make it a link at all. Third party software on this site found the phrase and created a link by itself.

When I click on it and go to "what's this" I get this page:
http://www.vibrantmedia.com/whatisIntelliTXT.asp?ipid=1298

Here's what it says:
IntelliTXT is not SPYWARE:
IntelliTXT is integrated on the website you’re visiting and not your computer. This technology does not collect personal information or require any form of software to be downloaded.

What is IntelliTXT?
It is a third-party technology created and distributed through Vibrant Media Incorporated, developed to locate keywords & phrases found within text and link them to relevant commercial information. IntelliTXT is identified with a double-underline and all corresponding text ads are clearly marked with “Advertisement” or “Sponsored Link”.

This website and Vibrant Media.
This website provides valuable content and information to internet users. IntelliTXT enhances and helps support this content by delivering relevant messages in a user-controlled format. IntelliTXT helps empower users to view relevant advertising on their own terms.

Integrity
IntelliTXT is implemented in real-time and deployed after the article has been published by the editorial team. This is an automated process that cannot influence, or be influenced by the Editorial Team at this website or any other partner publication. Vibrant Media is an active member of the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB). Please click here to review Vibrant Media’s IntelliTXT Guidelines and Standards.

How do I use IntelliTXT?
1) Mouse over a double-underlined word or phrase to display a “Tooltip” containing a relevant advertiser description.
2) For further information, click inside the “Tooltip” to go to the advertiser website.
3) If you don’t come across a keyword or phrase of interest, simply ignore the double-underlined words and continue your reading session with no interruptions.
Ignore the double-underlined words and they will ignore you.

What the heck? That's some of the most annoying adware I've seen. I would have thought it was just me, but it says it's integreated on the website. Is that true?

Neutrino said:
Ok, I haven't had any virus problems, but I do have something kind of similar that I find annoying.

Look here:

On post #27 there is this weird link to "serious sam." The poster did not make it a link at all. Third party software on this site found the phrase and created a link by itself.

Here's what it says:

What the heck? That's some of the most annoying adware I've seen. I would have thought it was just me, but it says it's integreated on the website. Is that true?
Yeah. I'm thinking Munro took out the banners and advertisements on this page and instead automatically put in sponsored links in our posts. Depending on the words you use in that post, it will link them.
I like this better than the advertisements. :)

Neutrino said:

Look here:

Here's what it says:

It's intergrated into a lot of websites. The banner ads will be making a return later without the trojans.

Munro is currently struggling with the code for the text words - don't worry they will be changing colour and becoming less obtrusive. Once that happens you'll forget they're there.

Chris_D said:
It's intergrated into a lot of websites. The banner ads will be making a return later without the trojans.

Munro is currently struggling with the code for the text words - don't worry they will be changing colour and becoming less obtrusive. Once that happens you'll forget they're there.

So once the ads return will you be getting rid of these word links? Because I don't mind the ads at all but I really don't like these word links no matter what color they are. Ads I can stand as I don't have to look at them and they don't intrude inside threads or posts. But these things won't even let me read a post in peace. I have no desire for things I type to turn into ad links. It's worse than popups even because I can't get rid of it.

Chris_D said:
You're missing the point. I've never said I don't believe you - I've said that for us to do anything we need to know which two ads are causing it so we can notify the people that are serving those specific ads.

Munro has tried several times to replicate different situations where this might be occuring including two versions of Windows, different service packs, different firewalls, different AV and different browsers. He's turning up nothing.

The ads are getting pulled until further notice. I would greatly appreciate any virus scanner or firewall logs as it may actually help us to get to the problem. We've been asking for more info for days but no one seems that bothered about actually providing it. There is also a thread stickied in this forum that includes my e-mail address and other information that'd be nice to help us solve the problem.

It's been up for nearly a day, but no one's replied yet. If you want us to solve this situation, please help us to do so because we've done all that we can now.

The problem is, most of those people who report their problems also have the needed protection. The ones who have problems are the kind of people who call tech support and say "I've got a problem with my Internet. It doesn't work." and haven't got any good reply to "state the nature of your problem". In many a cases, that is. Some, like Falcon(Nate) can help, but as you noticed, even those are usually quick to get the protection needed.
Just thought someone should say it.

Kyo said:
This document contains no data is caused by all your bandwidth being chewed up by other apps and thus Firefox eventually gives up trying to grab the site content.

ahh alrighty then :D thanks

ManHacks said:
ahh alrighty then :D thanks

I have that same error, "Document contains no data." But it's not other apps eating up my bandwidth. I don't have anything else running and this is the only site that it happens on.

Neutrino said:
I have that same error, "Document contains no data." But it's not other apps eating up my bandwidth. I don't have anything else running and this is the only site that it happens on.

I believe you get those messages from crappy web servers that are trying to display a certain ad on this web site.

That isn't techincally adaware. Adaware is usually defined as software that is locally installed on your computer that displays advertisments usually without your permission and collects personal information.

This is just a more targeted form of advertisement. Certain sites like Anandtech and gamespy sites use similar forms of advertising. However, I do find this form of advertising as annoying as you do.

Chris_D said:
The ads are getting pulled until further notice.

Thank-you for listening to the community.

blahblahblah said:
I believe you get those messages from crappy web servers that are trying to display a certain ad on this web site.

Ya, that's kind of what I assumed. I don't know why this is the only site that does it though. Is there any way to disable that warning I wonder? Because it's getting annoying to have to manually close it every time I load a new page on this forum.

blahblahblah said:
That isn't techincally adaware. Adaware is usually defined as software that is locally installed on your computer that displays advertisments usually without your permission and collects personal information.

Well, true. I just tend to use adware as a general term for most invasive internet advertisements such as this and popups or popunders.

I think the things that collect person information are spyware though aren't they?

Neutrino said:
I think the things that collect person information are spyware though aren't they?

Wrong terminology for this forum (blame it on my classes).

There is a very fine line. There are two categories of person information, personal and private (IIRC).

Personal information are things like your computer specs, and possibly things like your name and browsing habits. These things may fall under the darker side of adware but often times they use loopholes so they are considered legal under the eyes of the law. You may classify adware as something that just displays ads, often times they collect personal information as well.

Private information is things like your race, gender, and sensitive information like social security number, credit card number. Spyware usually targets things like those. Spyware is much less common than adware primarily because true spyware is illegal.

A smart person will make sure their computer is completely absent of adware and spyware. Stuff like that intelli-text doesn't collect personal information at all. So you should hate it because it is annoying and obtrusive, not because it is adware.

blahblahblah said:
Stuff like that intelli-text doesn't collect personal information at all. So you should hate it because it is annoying and obtrusive, not because it is adaware.

Ya, I wasn't worried about it collecting personal information.

Heh, isn't it "adware" not "adaware"? Adaware is the Lavasoft anti-adware program.

Neutrino said:
Ya, I wasn't worried about it collecting personal information.

Heh, isn't it "adware" not "adaware"? Adaware is the Lavasoft anti-adware program.

Don't make me go edit my post. :p

[Edit]: The crime has been done. :devil: Neutrino, you look like a senile, old man right now. :LOL:

blahblahblah said:
Don't make me go edit my post. :p

[Edit]: The crime has been done. :devil: Neutrino, you look like a senile, old man right now. :LOL:

Post #88.

Foiled! :p

The banner ads are back up minus one of the ad serving companies who has a bit of a bad reputation for things like that.

Let us know if there's any problems.

There was a story run on the register about an ad company being hit by spyware and trojans through their ads. I can't remember the companies name but it happened the same day this thread was started. Perhaps it was the same company?

Back