hl2 not so far off in the future...

X

XenoSpirit

id say 5 years is good for hl2.. but i saw the same PDW on Spawn 2 days ago and in a few outher places...

Six Three said:
whats the point in this?
this is speculation and rumors right? im thinking from the weapon models that hl2 ante no 15 years in the future...

it depends, if the human race has been in some sort of alien war (as it seems) for who knows how many years, then development into new weapons would have stopped, if u see what i mean ... but yes this thread has no point.

ppl now a days go and post anything THEY think is interesting?

wbcheater said:
ppl now a days go and post anything THEY think is interesting?
if you got a problem with the way i think then dont even bother posting

TrinityXero said:
this is speculation and rumors right? im thinking from the weapon models that hl2 ante no 15 years in the future...

Like the PDW isn't used anymore in 15 years time. Weapons like the AR15 and AK47 are in use for over 40 years. It could be any period.

Well, can get a vague timescale for the HL series based on the fact the HL1 occured some time in the current decade. The letter to Gordon from the Administrator in the HL1 manual is dated something-something-"200-". The last digit was left off so we wouldn't know exactly when the game happened, for whatever creative reasons Valve chose. I doubt HL2 is any more than 10-15 years after HL1 based on the fact that Freeman and everyone else in HL2 doesn't look any older than that. So...
2009 (at the latest) + 15 (maximum) = latest likely setting for HL2 is 2024.

TrinityXero said:

oh sorry, my bad! I thought you were posting sense-less-anti-valve-noob-crap, and "5 years" was the release date! srry!

I think its around 5-10 years max. Gordan was 27 in HL1 and in the concept art he looks mid to late 30s.

Also judging by the cars in the vids they are boxy and recent looking (actually even early 1990s in looks?!?)

G.Freeman said:
I think its around 5-10 years max. Gordan was 27 in HL1 and in the concept art he looks mid to late 30s.

Also judging by the cars in the vids they are boxy and recent looking (actually even early 1990s in looks?!?)

10 years, enough time for the invasion to spread across the world. The cars you see are Skoda's, and are widely used in the Czech Republic. What I don't understand is that there are usually large military inovations during time of war, which brings me to the conclusion that the combine might be Human soldiers (Who knows, the UN peacekeepers might be called The Combine in the future) and are trying to keep the citizens calm while trying to find a solution to the Xen mishap.

I think it has been the length of time since HL1 was released (in 98 right, so 5-6 yearsish). I mean, they keep stressing that the player IS Gordon, so having it be a somewhat realistic timeline (real life time), that would add that much more to the game.

G.Freeman said:

Keep in mind those are European cars, which are usually smaller and boxier than American cars (Mini Cooper).

EDIT: Oops, skipped Death's post.

BTW, usually military innovations come from the side that is winning-- Humanity looks to be kind of desperate in HL2, and when desperation sets in, you get desperate tactics. The military innovations would come in an area other than development of small firearms. Like Nuclear Weapons or something.

G.Freeman said:

bear in mind we are in an eastern european country plagued by war of the world style stuff, the fast cars probably got the hell out of there, plus not everyone in the world drives the latest BMWs. I guess you just weren't thinking.... are you American?

Rupertvdb said:
bear in mind we are in an eastern european country plagued by war of the world style stuff, the fast cars probably got the hell out of there, plus not everyone in the world drives the latest BMWs. I guess you just weren't thinking.... are you American?
i think the original HL took place in 1995 and the cars in europe arent thees fancy sleek car - driver AI...

Rupertvdb said:

British me :rolling: Even though its set in eastern euro land, the cars look like the type they drive now give or take a year or so. So obviously its not set 20-30 years into the future as these cars would not be there or rusted to bits.

Dude, eastern european countries AREN'T poor anymore. Well... not THAT poor.

TrinityXero said:
i think the original HL took place in 1995 and the cars in europe arent thees fancy sleek car - driver AI...

Dunno if you're being serious or making a joke...but if you are being serious...you're wrong about the date. Like I said before, HL1 is definitely based sometime in the current decade, as shown by the Administrator's letter in the manual.

Gergor said:
BTW, usually military innovations come from the side that is winning-- Humanity looks to be kind of desperate in HL2, and when desperation sets in, you get desperate tactics. The military innovations would come in an area other than development of small firearms. Like Nuclear Weapons or something.

i disagree

Eg.

The T34 (russia)

It was made becuase the german Blitzkrieg completely wiped out every one of russias Old out dated tanks and the Scientists were told to come up with something.

Tactics also follow a similar path, at the start of WW2 german tactics were so good becuase all of their Old generals had died in WW1 or been executed, Britian and france and russia etc... still had 90% of their WW1 commanders in charge and they didnt have any grasp of how the batteflield had changed.

after dunkirk and the initial advance into russia the Allies lost most of their old commanders and lost the old ways of fighting with them, the new blood that replaced them were far more willing to try out new tactics and give new weapons (T34's tanks dive bombers etc...) a chance compared to the old out of date commanders who thought to win a war you pound the enemy with artillery then charge Alla WW1 trench fighting.

:)

Back