HL2 Official Website

L

LucaZone

Just as years past, Valve product websites have seen immense activty and then Death. Merely to be kept on as records of days past.

Can they same already be said for the Officla HL2 site? www.half-life2.com

Within a week of annnouncement that HL2 would once again appear in new media at E3 and final solid release schedules were put in place, the games official website sprung up and burst into life.

Yet as quick as it arrived, it appears to have been forgotten. The site hasnt been updated since before E3?!?!?!?! How can anyone marketing HL2 or working on it, be so stupid? make a website to promote the biggest game ever, sure of the fact it will get thousands of hits an hour and then put nothing more on it that the opening content.

Why on earth have a news section when it seems less likely of hearing anything new on the site, than a screenshot of the game being taken by a colour blind hedgehog in a brown paper bag!

There is any interview with Gabe and somebody ask him this question. All he says is that the neglect is intentional and that he want people to get news from community sites such as this.

They let the sea of HL2 fansites do the promoting, all they [valve] has to do is answer a few emails, give a couple of tours and the entire community knows about it within hours...

My speculation is that they'll update it nearing it's release.

Yea. Right now I want Doom 3 to update. IMO it's even worse than HL2's site, especially when Doom 3 is coming out first (most likely). Doom 3's site has barely anything on it, and it seemed to be password protected all of a sudden.

Lets hope they put more on the HL2 site though.

LucaZone said:
Just as years past, Valve product websites have seen immense activty and then Death. Merely to be kept on as records of days past.

Can they same already be said for the Officla HL2 site? www.half-life2.com

Within a week of annnouncement that HL2 would once again appear in new media at E3 and final solid release schedules were put in place, the games official website sprung up and burst into life.

Yet as quick as it arrived, it appears to have been forgotten. The site hasnt been updated since before E3?!?!?!?! How can anyone marketing HL2 or working on it, be so stupid? make a website to promote the biggest game ever, sure of the fact it will get thousands of hits an hour and then put nothing more on it that the opening content.

Why on earth have a news section when it seems less likely of hearing anything new on the site, than a screenshot of the game being taken by a colour blind hedgehog in a brown paper bag!

Yawn. Oh no, those bad bad game developers. Let's get em. /yawn

interesting point, but i'll gladly accecpt the idea that they want info to be spread by fan sites, rather then spend time maintaining their own.

dangerousdarrin said:
Yea. Right now I want Doom 3 to update. IMO it's even worse than HL2's site, especially when Doom 3 is coming out first (most likely). Doom 3's site has barely anything on it, and it seemed to be password protected all of a sudden.

Lets hope they put more on the HL2 site though.

Doom3 is coming out first considering they will have a public deathmatch of Doom3 at QuakeCon Aug 12.... 128 man tourney.

That'll be interesting when Doom3 isn't meant to be able to hold more than 4 people to a deathmatch...

Its probably 32 men per computer.....like 1 person for each button.

"Jimmy FORWARD"

"Frank srafe left, Howard scroll to shotgun and Allen FIRE!"

Rupertvdb said:
That'll be interesting when Doom3 isn't meant to be able to hold more than 4 people to a deathmatch...
Carmack has disputed that :p

Doom 3's website has been in the freezer for ages....the HL2 site has at least opened. It's still "comming soon" there.

ComradeBadger said:
Carmack has disputed that :p

From what ive heard it will be Peer to Peer Multiplayer, not Server to Client.

If it is, they are cutting their own throat.

Yeah but wasnt that whole big issue about the Planet HL guy leaving and slagging Valve off because despite being the biggest fansite on the web, neither he nor any other massively loyal sites ever got any new info before the magazines did, and werent even allowed to post info from magazines because of copyright issues.

So valve is contradicting itself there. Let the Fansites do the online promoting, but dont give them any info, let them get it from the magazines.

urseus said:

"Jimmy FORWARD"

lol 10 char

LucaZone said:
Yeah but wasnt that whole big issue about the Planet HL guy leaving and slagging Valve off because despite being the biggest fansite on the web, neither he nor any other massively loyal sites ever got any new info before the magazines did, and werent even allowed to post info from magazines because of copyright issues.

So valve is contradicting itself there. Let the Fansites do the online promoting, but dont give them any info, let them get it from the magazines.
He is a reporter (although not a very good one but that is just my opinion), reporters will always feel insulted and will become downright nasty when someone denies them information. To me he was over reacting about that, as long as we get the information in the end then does it really matter how it comes to us? The magazines get it first but then how does that end up limiting the information getting out to the fansites? Aside from pictures or direct quotes from magazine articles the fansites end up with the exact same information and usually at the same time (sometimes earlier) as the magazine subscribers.

urseus said:

"Jimmy FORWARD"

This made me really lol! :D

urseus said:

It's ancient news that they scrapped that ages ago due to the massive amount of server calculations required for physics etc. I would also like to add that I think Valve's websites are indeed lacking in updates and attention imo you would wonder why a company with such an active community would totally fail to agnowledge the website for theyre biggest game yet.

"...including information released next week at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (e3) in Los Angeles, CA."

Valve ought to hire a webmaster.

Pjotr said:
"...including information released next week at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (e3) in Los Angeles, CA."

Valve ought to hire a webmaster.

You mean like the guy who runs steampowered.com? Oh yeah.

SMT said:
You mean like the guy who runs steampowered.com? Oh yeah.

Well, steampowered News section does have weekly messages almost. E3 was in April or so?

urseus said:

"Jimmy FORWARD"

haha excellent.

What could valve add to their website though? It serves it's purpose as far as I can tell.

Honestly, I could really care less about their website. Their good enough at answering emails that we get enough news from community sites such as this anyways. It's just one more thing that they would have to worry about while trying to get HL2 out the door and as far as I'm concerned it's something that ultimately has no direct positive effect on the game anyways and serves as nothing but a distraction. So they might as well divert their attention to much more pressing matters, like actually preping the game for launch. I'd even go as far as saying that they've developed one of the largest pre-release online gaming communities ever, and it was all done by fan sites like this, with no help from an "official" HL2 website, so there's no reason to go and change that now as long as it's working.

Valve is actually not making any Half-Life 2, they're just doing low-poly prerendered stuff for their website, their goal is to infect the internet with as many dead websites to cause it to die.

urseus said:

doom 3 = server/client. it was originally going to be p2p but it was changed.

63SixThreeSix3 said:
They let the sea of HL2 fansites do the promoting, all they [valve] has to do is answer a few emails, give a couple of tours and the entire community knows about it within hours...
Wow, good point. Never thought of it that way.

The site will add stuff when it needs too. IE when the game is out. Patches, FAQ's, etc.

Im pretty sure that they will update it soon since HL2 is near completion.

You ever think MAYBE they are so busy working on the GAME they don't have the time to update the site, only to answer a few emails a day from the fanbase....a lack of updates on a game still under development to me just means they are hard at work like they should be on the GAMe and not the website

FictiousWill said:
haha excellent.

What could valve add to their website though? It serves it's purpose as far as I can tell.

i agree with u... but i guess what these pple want is.. every time new info is revealed.. some sort of "log" or news section where Valve talks about the new info.. whatever that is.

kinda like the "Info from Valve only" thread... the difference being that its on Valve's website.. and presented and written proffessionally..

lazicsavo said:
There is any interview with Gabe and somebody ask him this question. All he says is that the neglect is intentional and that he want people to get news from community sites such as this.

They do seem to be getting a reputation for having the community do all the work for them.. We'll be making HL3 next.

The Dark Elf said:
They do seem to be getting a reputation for having the community do all the work for them.. We'll be making HL3 next.

i can't remember where i read it.. but halflife3.net is owned by VU but when i enter the URL i get nothing...hmm

has Munro thought that far ahead into securing that address? just wondering :)

its simple. a free website about half-life 2 is not profitable. so valve is not that interested.

The Dark Elf said:

I REALLY believe they are THAT lazy @ VALVe :D

CreamOfetus said:
its simple. a free website about half-life 2 is not profitable. so valve is not that interested.

If VALVe were only interested in profit they would have released HL2 at the pinnacle of it's hype last year :x

Back