HL2 PCGAMEPLAY NL score!

flupke

Reaction score
In this thread, a guy got the chance to look at the score of the gameplay NL magazine. This magazine is supposed to be available the 5th octobre, but he works at a press store (how do you call it, where they print LOADS of magazines, papers, etc) & it's there already. be prepaired, here it comes :

90%

Pos : physics engine & gameplay
neg : NO HLDM
____

This is pretty short, because didn't got the chance to look at it very good. He wás at work so... This can be called a rumour or 'fake' but this a man of his words (i know him personally) & he wouldn't do that.

There you've got it :)

90% is awfully low.. in comparasion, how did they rate other games, such as Doom 3?

I don't think they would subtract 10% all becuase of no DM. How many games are there out there that were single player only and didn't have any problems with the marks?

Did the first Splinter Cell game get marks off because of a lack of multiplayer from anyone (especially anything like 10%).

i could believe it but the pos neg thing seems to much like a fan conversation on a forum, so ill wait for myself thanks :D

Shuzer said:
90% is awfully low.. in comparasion, how did they rate other games, such as Doom 3?

I believe something like 85%, so they're fairly strict with high scores.

And if no HLDM is the only con of the game, I don't give a damn :)

not too bad, but not that great either. Well, the HLDM thing has given a lot of people a bad taste in the mouth, so they took that out of the score (maybe that 0,6 point could have been avoided, not that I care though)

my freinds is best mates with gabe newell and gabe lets him play Hl2 all day long.

He says thats BS

it's true, some guy does say that PCGameplay arrived in the warehouse at his work...and he took the liberty to read it...but I still doubt it :(

It's a sad day when people start thinking 90% is a low score.

Shuzer said:

Reviewers are far far far too generous with their ratings. They have been for years. Eventually they will have to go to a 200% scale or something....

Sorry to be so agressive, but you guys are lame. What, you want HL2 to get 99 / 100 %. That's more than rediculous because a game these days CAN'T be perfect. And don't say 100% doesn't mean perfect. Not even the Unreal3 engine will get 100% because even with that engine, games will still not be like real life. When the first game comes out in 2020 which will be called 'Life', that will get 100% i guess.

PC Gamer (both UK and USA) have stated that we won't be disappointed and that the game achieves more than was expected. PC Gamer (and PC Zone) do not subtract marks for no multiplayer, they review the game that IS there (e.g. Max Payne, Unreal 2). I think that perhaps these magazines will give a fairer review of the game.

I think I'll wait until these magazines are actually released. :) Not that I don't trust random people on forums that supposedly work for printing companies...

~Chris

Concept said:
It's a sad day when people start thinking 90% is a low score.

Indeed. My heart did sink a bit when I saw it however. Silly me getting overwhelmed by the hype machine.

Well pcgameplay was VERY positive about HL2 always, in previews, and when they got to play it as a preview.

Therefor I DO NOT believe this..

However, it could be that they weigh the fact that HL2 does not containt any multiplayer very heavy.

But I dont think that, because you can also thee cs:s as the multiplayer for HL2.

I honestly believe that HL2 will receive 95% or better, in pcgamer UK and pczone at least..if they dont weigh the 'lack of MP', while MP is still there..

PCGP would originally come out on 30 sept 2004 and it's true - it has arrived in my village as well. You can even buy it at the moment in the supermarket so it's hardly groundbreaking :)

I blame it on the general videogame scoring system for these distortions.

Thanks to the likes of IGN et al, people seem to think 70% is poor, 85% is average and 90% is only good. So when you do get magazines and critics applying a much more straighforward rationale (50% average, 90% excellent etc.), people don't seem to take account of it.

Guys, you're acting like HL2 got a 50% or something, 90% is definitely a good score for a game with this amount of hype in a pretty strict magazine (although FC got a 91%, lets just assume that was a slip-up) and it will get higher scores in PC Gamer(s) no doubt.

flupke said:
Sorry to be so agressive, but you guys are lame. What, you want HL2 to get 99 / 100 %. That's more than rediculous because a game these days CAN'T be perfect. And don't say 100% doesn't mean perfect. Not even the Unreal3 engine will get 100% because even with that engine, games will still not be like real life. When the first game comes out in 2020 which will be called 'Life', that will get 100% i guess.
People are used to PC Gamer ratings thats why. HL1 got a 97% from them.

I think alot of people need to realize that this magazine (at least from how it sounds to me) has marks significantly lower than PC Gamer and so it really is a very good mark.

flupke said:

quoting myself SO EVERYBODY COULD READ IT! (read it!!)

The Mullinator said:

I think alot of people need to realize that this magazine (at least from how it sounds to me) has marks significantly lower than PC Gamer and so it really is a very good mark.

They're the primary problem as far as ratings go. They should fix their scale somehow.

The Mullinator said:

Indeed, thanks.

PCgameplay dont extrac marks for the lack of MP either, they just give sum up some positive points and some negative points.
The game is rated for what's there, not for what's missing (unless textures are missing :p)

I also do not believe it, since Far Cry got 91% of them, and far cry's MP was crap..

Halflife 2 must be better than far cry, I think we all expect that.

However, I have much confidence in that.. and think this may be wrong.

ferd said:
PCgameplay dont extrac marks for the lack of MP either, they just give sum up some positive points and some negative points.
The game is rated for what's there, not for what's missing (unless textures are missing :p)
Thats why I find it hard to believe a lack of DM would have been put in as a con unless it says it exists as a feature on the box or something.

HL1 got a 95% though...I have the issue in front of me :)

Xenome, now that I agree on. If Half-Life 2 is only valued as highly as Far Cry, then I will be disappointed.

I can't stand that game. :(

I really don't think Far Cry deserved 91% but 90% is excellenty for HL2!

At least it didn't get a bad review.

Nex321 said:
wait CS:S is its multiplayer!

flupke said:
Pos : physics engine & gameplay
neg : NO HLDM

They obviously know that CS:S is the multiplayer but I assume they felt that a HL2DM was missing.

And by the way 90% is a good score ;)

kiwii said:
90% is a damn good score . stop yer bitchin'

For HL2 it's not, and you know it.

Altough this means that there's no HL2 MP, but the SP is VERY good I think. And since we also have Cs;source, dod:source, team fortress 2,etc, theres not a problem.

90% is not a good score, HL2 is supposed to be something special. I expected atleast 95%

Yes, but Far Cry single player had a horrid story, cheesy characters, and in large parts trial and error gameplay. Not to mention it's expansive environments masked it was very linear for the most part in terms of objectives.

I really hope Half-Life 2 exceeds those aspects.

The Mullinator said:
Thats why I find it hard to believe a lack of DM would have been put in as a con unless it says it exists as a feature on the box or something.
I'm beginning to doubt it to...that's not the way PCGameplay works imo.
For a game like HL2 they wouldn't mention a thing so irrelevant for the actual game(play) & SP experience.

I think the guy on the board is lying, althoug I would be pleasantly surprised if HL2 would get a score higher then 93%.
PCGameplay are very strict, and if it would happen...then rest assure HL2 will be the game we've all been waiting for.

Back