HL2 Release on DVD?

Jadewolf5675

Reaction score
Haven't found anything about this yet, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a possible HL2 DVD release, as I imagine if it were released on CD's it would be 5+. Has any info concerning this been released?

i think the HL2 Spiceal edition will release on DVD
thats what i heared

I think the Special Edition will be on DVD?

Damn you, Im too slow

Is the special edition set to release at the same time as the normal HL2?

They mentioned something briefly about the SE version being DVD only. But they can always change their minds. I imagine they'll be waiting to see how FarCry DVD sales fair before committing to anything. I'd probably expect the special edition to be around Christmas, like the LotR RotK one.

just to be redundant...the special edition will apparently be available (perhaps exclusively?) on DVD.

Im so glad there was a dvd version of UT2004 , that disc swapping was giving me nightmares of windows 95 on 50 floppies, i expect there will be a dvd version of HL2, its up to vivendi to sort it out with valve but its becoming standard now.

What will the SE will include ?

I know it will has a T-shirt and a poster but what else ?

I got the UT2004 SE when it first came out with the headsets and all that good stuff and it sold like hotcakes. They had to start making em again. Couldn;t imagine buying UT2004 with 6 cd's

At the very least the speical edition SHOULD be DVD!

Im very sick of 2+ cd games, and these days its in the range of 4-6.

Thats sick, I hate having that many disks to look after, and before you know it you lose one, or its much to scratched to work any more.

Take for example farcry (north america) they clamied they would release a dvd version along with the cd version. While this was true, it was only in part, the dvd version was released everywhere But north america it seems :rolleyes:

I was going to get it, but Oh look no dvd versions in store = no sale.

Yeah I've been looking for FarCry on DVD but couldn't find it.

Thanks for the info guys.

I REALLY REALLY hope it comes out on dvd. Heck, I hope about every game from now on comes on dvd. CD's are sooo yesterday. ;)

csmighty1 said:
I got the UT2004 SE when it first came out with the headsets and all that good stuff and it sold like hotcakes. They had to start making em again. Couldn;t imagine buying UT2004 with 6 cd's

There was also a non SE version of UT2004 that came on a DVD. I'm guessing HL2 will come with these versions like UT2004:

HL2 - 3+ CDs
HL2 - DVD
HL2 - DVD Special Edition (maybe more than 1 DVD)

I don't see why you're all complaining anyway, you will only be installing the game once, and swapping the CDs adds a total of 30 seconds onto the install time.

StardogChampion said:
There was also a non SE version of UT2004 that came on a DVD. I'm guessing HL2 will come with these versions like UT2004:

HL2 - 3+ CDs
HL2 - DVD
HL2 - DVD Special Edition (maybe more than 1 DVD)

I don't see why you're all complaining anyway, you will only be installing the game once, and swapping the CDs adds a total of 30 seconds onto the install time.

It's not so much about install time as it is about storage (cases tend to get quite bulky for more than 3 CD's) and keeping track of them, both problems which could be curtailed by keeping media limited to one or two DVD's.

I think having the Special Edition on a DVD is enough of an incentive to get the SE. I wouldn't mind a tshirt or mousepad or something as well of course

Yeah, I would love Half-Life 2 to come in DVD format. That would give my DVD drive some other purpose besides playing regular CD's. Plus, one DVD is easier to keep track of than the 6 or so UT2K4 CD's I have to keep track of.

I really hope Valve makes a serious effort to release the SE of HL2 the same time as the regular edition. Its fans shouldn't have to wait for the special edition version (even if there is some sort of rebate attached to it).

blahblahblah said:
Yeah, I would love Half-Life 2 to come in DVD format. That would give my DVD drive some other purpose besides playing regular CD's.

I can't believe more stuff doesn't come on DVD... I got Encarta 2000 on DVD, great resource... I guess most things don't really need it.

I have a conspiracy theory about FMD's, though. They just disappeared. I had posts canceled on usenet. These were: Flourescent Multilayer Disks. Supposed to hold 100 Gig in the 1st generation, a Terabyte soon thereafter. I think the MPAA got to 'em (and the shadow government)...

Fenric said:
They mentioned something briefly about the SE version being DVD only. But they can always change their minds. I imagine they'll be waiting to see how FarCry DVD sales fair before committing to anything. I'd probably expect the special edition to be around Christmas, like the LotR RotK one.

Are you saying that the SE won't be released at the same time than HL2?!

This sucks... :frown:

why wouldn't they release SE at the same time? im pretty sure that i wont buy the same game twice, unless the bonus stuff is worth the extra pay. Im definitly buying the SE if it comes out the same time but im not waiting for it. I dont want to hear the whole story before i play the game.

galoot3000 said:
why wouldn't they release SE at the same time? im pretty sure that i wont buy the same game twice, unless the bonus stuff is worth the extra pay. Im definitly buying the SE if it comes out the same time but im not waiting for it. I dont want to hear the whole story before i play the game.

It was said long ago that the SE would be later, but I suppose that could've changed. But probably not...

Someone should e-mail Valve about a DVD version and see what they say.

TechnoHippyChic said:
It was said long ago that the SE would be later, but I suppose that could've changed. But probably not...

It just doesn't make sense...

TechnoHippyChic said:
These were: Flourescent Multilayer Disks. Supposed to hold 100 Gig in the 1st generation, a Terabyte soon thereafter. I think the MPAA got to 'em (and the shadow government)...

Are these for real? I've never heard of it.

Jadewolf5675 said:
Yeah I've been looking for FarCry on DVD but couldn't find it.

Thanks for the info guys.

you need to import it from EU in order to get the dvd version.

Yeah, you can get the FarCry DVD version for as little as £18 in the UK. Just gotta look in the right places! ;)

I don't see why Valve wouldn't release non-SE CD and DVD versions plus a SE version. DVD is just far more convenient. Plus, an SE version should come out at the same time but it will be less available.

manny_c44 said:
Are these for real? I've never heard of it.

They were supposed to have working prototypes and imminent manufacturing deals, then their site went down and info started disappearing... haven't researched them lately.

Google has some articles...

id prefer a DVD im fooking sick of swapping disks

PS anyone tell me why my sig isnt showing

Varsity said:

Those are going to be hella expensive, though.. FMD's were supposed to be easy for CD/DVD drive plants to transition to, which would put them in the reach of consumers.

Besides, having a clear plastic disk that holds 100+Gig would be a new level of cool... :smoking:

I hope that this damn thing is released on DVD. I've had a DVD-ROM drive going on 5 years now, and it's now starting to actually go up and having severe difficulty reading discs--this is how long I've had it.

I've only had 2 DVD games on it since I've had it, and one of them came with the damn thing. The other was UT2004.

DVD has so many advantages over CD on these games, that it's stupid to ever conceive of releasing so many CDs. Especially if it's just going to come in those stupid ass sleaves. Whatever happened to releasing an actual CD case? At least UT2004 SE came in the 'standard' DVD case.

I'm looking to upgrade my DVD-ROM drive this year, it better have a point...I've been considering just getting a CD-ROM, but that would just be stupid when looking at these games coming out :D

Yeah, I installed TOCA Race Driver 2 for my friend and that was on DVD. It was so much easier. I think having a DVD could also help with piracy. The TOCA game had some kind of protection thing (scanning the DVD) when you started the game up altho I'm not sure what the measures were.

TechnoHippyChic said:

Thats insane. So the people who love HL2 the most ie the people who want all the goodies of the SE will have to wait??? That can't happen. Noooooooooooooooo!!!!

It is a little thick, yeah. The same happened with UT2004 as I recal.

I agree that the DVD is much better than those goddamn ugly CD's. DVD is a standard now, but why aren't games distributed in DVD format? Even if you had material for only 2 CD's it would be much better to have 1 disc instead of 2. You can also add more material to the game i.e. super high quality movies and models. I'm pretty sure that won't cost them more than 1$. And that extra material keeps the game fresh a little longer. :thumbs:

I read somewhere in the "Official info from Valve thread" that they are going to release both. There is a special edition, but that has nothing to do with wether there will be a DVD version or not

Back