HL2 running like sh*t at a certain chapter of the game **SPOLIER WARNING**

S

sam316

Im on the "Anti-citizen One" chapter. I've had some nice performance from my system throughout the game, a little slow down in some areas, but overall its running great. For some reason the entire "Anti-citizen One" chapter is just running really badly. The framerate is very choppy and the sound cracks. I know its outdoor so that obviously will be a performance hit, but I never had problems like this on any of the other outdoor levels.

Other issues Ive noticed: Evertime I try to save/load the game freezes for about 5-10sec and the sound loops, but after that, the window opens and I can save/load with no problems. Generally at the start of a new area the game tends to slow down for about 5sec and the sound cracks, but after that runs smoothly.

The settings Im running the game at:
1280x1024x32
2x Temporal AA
8x AF
All other settings on HIGH
Vsync ON

My system:
3.2Ghz P4 Northwood
Intel 865PE
1024MB PC3200 RAM
9800 Pro 128MB (OCed + Vmod, 441/365)
WindowXPSP2, Cat 4.12 drivers

I think my system matches the settings I have the game at. Just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

Well after your saves/loads and start of new chapters, its obviously going to lag for about 10 seconds or so while your pc up loads up the new environments and stuff, god you are picky...cant have it perfect. With question to your anticitzen chapter, either you have some big problem, or its another case of you being perfectionist and wanting perfect performance from every bit. You have a good system, but if you wanted perfect you should have a x800xt or 6600gt or something. Sorry but thats the way it goes.

I had to crack my graphics settings down for this level myself, all the striders and battling civvies outside just pushed my rather poor machine (1.3ghz Athlon thunderbird, 390MB RAM, 64MB geForce Pro MMX 400, sblive soundcard) over the edge. As for the rest of the game it ran fine and in terms of the sound looping I get that too, all thru the game when I save and reload or load a change to my graphics settings.

Hectic Glenn said:
Well after your saves/loads and start of new chapters, its obviously going to lag for about 10 seconds or so while your pc up loads up the new environments and stuff, god you are picky...cant have it perfect. With question to your anticitzen chapter, either you have some big problem, or its another case of you being perfectionist and wanting perfect performance from every bit. You have a good system, but if you wanted perfect you should have a x800xt or 6600gt or something. Sorry but thats the way it goes.

Well, dude, not to be picky, but many (most) games run seamlessly after loading a level, especially after a 20sec loading time. So I guess that’s normal for this game, that’s what I needed to know.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to demand stable performance from a game that was designed around ATi video cards. I’m not talking about a little lag here, I mean the performance is so bad on this part of the game it’s literally unplayable. I’m by no means a perfectionist, I just want to be able to play this game at some stable frame rates. With the overclock, my 9800 Pro schools a 6600GT on this game, so you're just flat out wrong with that comment. I waited 6 years for it just like you did, I criticize it out of love ;). If I have to scale back my settings for this part of the game then fine.

Turn off AA or lower the resolution, one or the other. I can't play CS: Source on a Radeon 9800 pro with AA, it goes really slow.

You going to have to. And btw HL2 is a very big game, with alot of demanding things on screen at any particular time. I dont think its possible to find a home system from the average player that had perfect performance 100% of the time. There really is alot of stuff going on, and sacrifices to have to be made. Enjoy the rest of your game, more good stuff to come, if you havent already finished.

yeah most people get slowdown on this even when nowt is really happening,shame as its arguably the best lvl,drop your res,that should help most,you will hardly notice a diff neway

Nova Prospekts indoor levels ran like crap for me.

ZoFreX said:
Turn off AA or lower the resolution, one or the other. I can't play CS: Source on a Radeon 9800 pro with AA, it goes really slow.

Really? My 9600 Pro has absolutely no performance hit with full AA in CS:Source. Does increase the stutter just after loading in HL2 though - but hardly noticeable.

What drivers are you running?

corkscru74 said:
Really? My 9600 Pro has absolutely no performance hit with full AA in CS:Source. Does increase the stutter just after loading in HL2 though - but hardly noticeable.

What drivers are you running?

No performance hit? :rolleyes: Geez, I guess a 9600 does beat a 9800 after all...

Its not yours systems fault mate, its the bloody games fault, or steams, whichever you want to say.

sam316 said:
Im on the "Anti-citizen One" chapter. I've had some nice performance from my system throughout the game, a little slow down in some areas, but overall its running great. For some reason the entire "Anti-citizen One" chapter is just running really badly. The framerate is very choppy and the sound cracks. I know its outdoor so that obviously will be a performance hit, but I never had problems like this on any of the other outdoor levels.

One word... Striders. Every level that has them where they are using the AI (and not scripted) seems somewhat bogged down for me, even if they are not onscreen -- when they ARE onscreen, it seems to get worse. Possibly due to the sheer size of the critter I guess. I have not found a way around this (although the new 4.12 release drivers are supposed to help, I cannot find out cause I just sold my ATI 9600XT, and am getting a new card soon).

I think it might be a driver issue. I have been using the beta 4.12 drivers from day one and never had any slowdown with my 9600xt. It kinda makes me feel good to know people with better cards are having trouble! :p

Well, with AA off the game is running much better, just with some jagged edges now. I still have the res at 1280x1024 so the visuals are still ok. I guess I cant complain (I was just complaining lol).

That level is VERY cpu limited, AI and lots of physics. HL2 eats cpu for breakfast, lunch and tea. Even with an overclock fx55 you are cpu bound. There's nothing you can do other than overlocking or getting a better cpu. It's why some people can have 4xAA on their 9600, while others barely get by with a 9800.

urm, there is other discussion about events in the chapter, striders etc. Just playing it safe.

joshsmog said:
lol whyd you put a spoiler warning just for a chapter name?

I think he was just trying to be careful. Better to be too careful, and put spoiler tags on too much stuff, than spoil someone's HL2 experience. Although folks should know by this point to ready VERY selectively if the are not done yet.

I had the same problem, and it didn't help to lower the settings. But suddenly, the framerate raised to normal again and I could play at the usual 1024*768 with everything on high and 6*AA and 16*AF. So just keep playing, and it will probably fix itself.

dynamicx said:
That level is VERY cpu limited, AI and lots of physics. HL2 eats cpu for breakfast, lunch and tea. Even with an overclock fx55 you are cpu bound. There's nothing you can do other than overlocking or getting a better cpu. It's why some people can have 4xAA on their 9600, while others barely get by with a 9800.

CPU bound with a 3.2Ghz P4??? U sure? (lol, "Folks, how many times can sam resurrect a dead thread?"). Sorry I just cant let things go...

Back