HL2 Survey plus more this wednesday!

Woot, it looks like they're readying up Steam to sell things. Which means it will be ready for HL2.

sweeet

still no idears on what this hl2 survay is?

fishymumma said:
sweeet

still no idears on what this hl2 survay is?

I'm thinking it could be a simple set of instructions "Please select your graphics card" "Please select your processor"

Or......it could be a benchmark. I hope its the latter :)

I remember from another post that linked to a sight showing a hardware survey they did a long time ago. It just takes info about what every one has and gives them rough ideas on where our equipment is. Helps them optimize. I'll look for that post and show ya....

*running to find post and bring it back*

"
Spiffae said:
Thanks for the kind words Ben.

We're going to run another survey via Steam like we did over a year ago with the 1.1.1.0. update. The results of that one are here:

http://valve.speakeasy.net

It will help us make some decisions for Half-Life 2 if we have a clearer sense of the kind of hardware out there.

Erik

-----Original Message-----
To: Erik Johnson <[email protected]>
Sent: Wed Feb 25 22:20:04 2004
Subject: New Steam Updates

Hi Mr. Johnson,
First off, i just wanted to say thank you for steam. As a gamer who legitimately buys all of his games, I'm so happy to see a system that seems to really work when it comes to preventing piracy. I can't wait for the day HL2 comes out and all the warez groups have to post a message that says "Well, sorry folks, looks like you're gonna have to buy this one"

Kudos to you and your phenomenal team on a product that gets better every day.

I was wondering though, in the latest newspost you put up... What on earth is the Half-Life 2 Hardware Survey?

Take care, and keep up the good work,

[deleted]
"

Beat ya Wendle :p

EDIT: 3200th post. W3200T!!

i was thinking maby it scans your hardware and tells you how HL2 will run.. i mean i dont think its gunna put addware or nething on your pc if yhou know what i ean

*comes stumbling back empty handed*

i hate u... :angry:

not really :cheers:

Thats the only place i didn't check....

it seems the HL2 survey is my area of expertise :)

cheers folks.

hey, look, if the brown nosed e-mail gets thanks and results from valve, i do it without shame.

next time you want to contribute rather than troll, post here again.

I hope there will be a section for comments, because there is a huge difference between my current hardware, and what I intend to buy just before HL2 comes out.

Wait a second... They need to make decisions for half life 2 based on hardware that out there.. WTF does that mean? Shouldn't the art assets be finished by now? Gaaaaaaah!!!!!! I hate not know what the feck is going on :(

I think that they dont want to change anything to the content, but just to optimize it more for the kinds of machines that are out there, and maybe make the scaling down work better or run smoother depending on peoples hardware.

It might mean that the game just isn't optimized yet, which I hope is not true. More likely, I would guess is that they are setting things up for defaults, autodetecting settings, and maybe for final compatibility testing, they will get a bunch of rigs that are the most common in the survey. Who knows. I would guess that mostly they just want to get a feel for what kind of machine the average HL2 player will have, so they can tweak their game to run well on that midpoint. Optimizations usually go last anyway... maybe they are starting that now.

EDIT: Damn, slicktick beat me to it.

It might be that it isn't optimized, if they are going for a sept 30 release... hehe...

hey, at least theres a ball now. and it appears to be moving somewhat.

This thread will surely give the hype a push in the back, and that's something i like a lot!!!! :D i'm very very happy now

And so begins the hype and speculation again. Still, better than sitting here silently waiting.

How many other developers do this, or is it just a Valve quality control?

It will be interesting to see how many people still have the GF 2 MX.....i reckon it will probably be replaced by the GF 4 MX *shudders*

This is the best news I have heard from vavle since they announced HL-2

lol considering they were meant to be finished apart from localisation (languages) on september 30th 2003, now there doing a survey so they can optimise, jesus christ are you really expecting this before september? you must be mad!

mbrithoms: Well, has valve said that it is for optimizeations (or what it is called)?
I belive that this game will be out April / early summer.

moppe I sincerely suggest your read and understand the above post again

I think this Steam thing is reassureing but very very dull, CZ better come with the remaining bink videos that will get the ball rolling.

grrr

Half life 2 free coupon starting to turn yellow want HL2 now damn it

mrchimp said:
I think this Steam thing is reassureing but very very dull, CZ better come with the remaining bink videos that will get the ball rolling.

To bad that CZ uses HL1 engien.

kaf11 said:
hey, at least theres a ball now. and it appears to be moving somewhat.

ahahha so true... it was a dust ball be4 LoL :cheese:

Anyone ever seen those trick houses where the ball seems to roll up hill? Thats what happened at the 30th... But now gravity isn't messed up anymore!!!

It's only a hardware survey! C'mon people! Meh. My hype moved .01 centimeters. I am waiting for the SDK.

Back