HL2 Survey plus more this wednesday!

Apart from the email verification it works fine for mr.

I actually got the e-mail verification to work. Once. And offline play!

And now I can't login :(

Anyways, I'm pretty sure the buying games feature is built into Steam itself. Basically, I think when you try and install a game, instead of putting in a CD-Key, you put in billing details.

I finally got my email confirmation (a day later), but now steam can't even connecting the network!

Then I decided to re-install Steam altogether! (fyi, bad idea)

I think that all the reinstalling people are doing, may be part of the problem. People get the update, have some error because the network is bogged down so bad, then decide to re-install Steam because it's not working.

Now when they connect, it has to completely update thier system from a fresh install. Which in-turn, causes more traffic, which in-turn causes more errors, which causes more re-installs. It's like a traffic jam where people start tapping thier brake lights, and it gets worse and worse untill it's at a stand still!

my opinion anyways!

When Valve started talking about how scalable Source was to older systems, I thought "It isn't that important" but the percentage that is still struggling with a GF4 MX or even worse is pretty damn high.

I wouldnt go by any facts yet im sure alot of us that have never even used steam and cant seem to get on havent made our contribution to the total number calculations.

I tryed to get on just so i could be included in this survey but have given up. Its not bad enough that there are a tone of diffrent steam programs ( server install / client install / full CS TF install ect.. ) I choose the client install its a 555kb aplication that Dl'ed at 14mb so i really cant tell if i should have used that or not.

Anyways i get the same errors fails to connect so i cant just sit there and keep clicking the button and have no clue havent seen any kind of log in or email stuff at all just the error.

The first thing i thought of that is quiet comical and very sad is that you guys are going to reley on this system the first day of release so you can get the game wow glade i only have to go through the UPS dude.

As far as the survey goes im sure alot of ppl that are getting Hl2 have no clue what steam is i have read a few gaming forums and there is not one mention of steam on any of them so basically this is only a survey of the old Hl1 users and not the grand total. Id like to take part so will try again every few hrs maybe friday..

Dark Angel said:
I wouldnt go by any facts yet im sure alot of us that have never even used steam and cant seem to get on havent made our contribution to the total number calculations.

you might not go by the facts, but i would. number of uniqe repiles to the Steam survey now? 300,499

Well its not me that is going by the facts its Valve they did this for a reason so they could better tailor there game to the populace.

Thats like saying Valve is doing a survey only for my town so they can better tailor the game for the world.

That figure is surely alot of gamers but not hardly all of them like i mentioned about other ppl on diffrent forums who have no knowledge of steam but im happy its a large enough figure they should get a good survey from it.

GUYS ....CHECK THE STEAM NEWS PAGE...WTF. How can they claim a DDOS attack. I think it's stupid and is there a place were I can get tech support for steam because their forums are friggen DOWN.

I can't get it to work it crashes as soon as it starts and it say this...

Steam.EXE (main exception) Win32 StructuredException at 016C048B attempt to write virtual address 2439868540 without appropriate access rights.

then it says:

The instruction at "0x01485add" referanced memory at "0x016d6fe0". The memory could not be "read"

Does anyone else get this error, did any of you fix this problem or am I gonna have to wait for steam to fix it?

It's perfectly possible to believe some opportunistic bastards took the chance to really screw things up by timing a DDOS attack on Steam during the update, when things were already tight bandwidth wise.

There are some irresponsible people who enjoy causing chaos out there.

Wonkers, delete a file called SteamUI.dll. It should make things better.

yeah that's great...I will delete files that I need to run steam in the first place. I also sent my problem to tech support so who knows when I will get a response. If you don't have a real response don't say anything at all.

For anyone else who honestly has this problem then post your solution please.

steam will create that file once you start it up again just like ClientRegistry.blob and custom.hpk files.

Yeah, honestly dude, delete that file. It's corrupted or something, so delete it and a fresh one will be generated next time you start Steam. I can understand why you wouldn't want to, but that's the solution. I had the exact same problem.

Edit:
It looks like this came back. Right now, the fix is to delete the file SteamUI.dll and launch Steam.

That's straight from Taylor Sherman here

Thanks guys. This is what it's all about. Friendly help for technical problems. I owe you one.

Interesting how the survey doesnt check DirectX version,

Valve.. not everyone has DX9 installed (but i do :) )

iamidiot said:
Interesting how the survey doesnt check DirectX version,

Valve.. not everyone has DX9 installed (but i do :) )

here's the thing-
not anyone can get a radeon 9800xt for free, or upgrade to XP for free, but valve can send directX 9.0b runtime along with every copy of HL2 they ship, so it doesn't really matter what version people are running.

it would be interesting to see what the results were though.

Back