HL2 Survey plus more this wednesday!

Valve just needs to abandon Steam and release Half-Life 2 with proven WON support instead of pursuing this dream of becoming an independent publisher.

My steam keeps updating in an endless loop and it's annoying. The steam forums are down and I can't even read about how this should be fixed. Do you think that the steam crew even know about glitches like this? How long will I be watching that stupid thing restart.

Their status says that all their servers are online but I am getting boned on this update crap. All I wanted to do was play a lil DOD.

@ Mountain Man:
I think the bugs and problems that they are facing with Steam are there and will probably continue to come up because they are working on something that is cutting-edge and hasn't really been done before.

But this is the sort of thing that Valve is known to do, and is what sets them apart from other game companies, they're just basically very original. I think that once Steam is fully bugtested and stable, it's going to be great.

What other company gives you high-bandwidth access to all the major mods and game servers in one program while also making the most anticipated and impressive game that will also debut over high-bandwidth servers?

:cheese:

Oh thats the easy bit... once its finaly updated. (It does happen) then you have the problem of it stalling then crashing whenever you start it! :O :D

Is it just me, or has the steampowered.com website died?

edit - oh, its working again :)

eh i've just left it for 2 hours while i went to the gym and it still hasn't updated...been looping all the time. i'm just gonna leave it on overnight and all day tomorow while i'm out...and it had better update grrrrrr!

FOR GODS SAKE THIS IS REALLY STARTING TO GET ON MY TITS!!!!

AHEM*

ahem.....

But I have had to untinstall steam... with one problem. Even the freaking Uninstall crashed!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

And now I have not only lost all my custom maps and server stuff like favourites and people on steam that I only know on steam but I can't even freaking Reinstall!!!!

This isnt even the slightest bit funny anymore!!! :angry:

gosh darn it...closed down steam and then restarted it and then said it was updating (as I expected) but then the progress bar wasn't moving for a while so I closed it down and restarted it again...now it say "steam temporarly unavailable, try again later" damn!

oh wait a minute! I started the update again and it's going just fine! uh....wait a second.....damn stuck at 26%...maybe if I try again later it will be at 54%! ahh what a vishous cycle!

Didn't they say Steam would be down somewhere around 3 hours before hand?

This new update is fukkuked. Don't they test these updates before they release them? like on a small closed network? OH wait...they don't seem to have small or "closed" networks do they? ZING*!

take that. I wish I could laugh at the guy trying to make this work. Silly bastard, He's prolly going out of his mind.

umm... looks like bandwidth is finally coming back. looks like valve is meeting demand by just bringing more content servers online... max available is now about 4000 megabits. i see that over 14,000 people have responded to the hl2 survey, so i think this will all be straightened out soon.

Me? I'm in class... no way for me to try it for another hour and a half. I'm hoping things are going a bit more smoothly then.

after partial downloads, then a couple of unsuccessful attempts at running steam, everything went smoothly. i got the survey done, pretty cool stuff. now im excited to see if well get any new news w/in the next week or so.

Good for you :)

No I am serious.... Glad some people are having fun....

I just reinstalled and now I get a different error for no reason at all.... :D

Hmmm, what exactly is the survey? Please post the questions here. :D

This is the first problem I've ever had with Steam... it gets to 99% and then just says 'STEAM ISN'T AVAILABLE YOU ****TARD!'... what the crap...

Letters:

Make sure you have any thing you want to keep from steam safe before you start updateing again....

I have had to reinstall several times to get it to semi work.....

And it does eventually work lol.....

Only problem now is valve just cant take the bandwidth :(

that just means the steam network is overloaded... every now and then you can get to the steam home page and see the status. they are serving a huge number of people a tremendous amount of content... it should ease us as time goes on

Mines far feckin worse!!!

I have had to reinstall 4 times so far and now I can actually sign in it says my account doesnt exist. So now I am making a new account and after an error right at the end it says that steam will send me a validation code within a few minutes to put in a box so I can activate the new account.

However the validation code has still not arrived 10 minutes later at least and I am getting impatient!

Edit: I forgot to mention that steampowered doesnt load up at all on my computer any more for some stupid reason. It just comes up with "Page can not be displayed error"

I am getting really irritated....

OK it's working, if you get a multitude of errors just delete clientregistry.blob and then restart steam and it'll update again (beats re-installing)

BTW. does anyone know where this buy feature is?

p.s. all the survey does is ask you about your connection speed then collects your puters details and sends em off, you barely have any input.

Yeah, I tried that and it just fuxored more lol....

Now it says it cant connect to the steam network again..... :(

Poor valve.... Poor me.... ;(

works fine for me now. the only thing that my machine doesnt do on their list is hyperthreading.

I installed it just fine, but I can't seem to find the damn BUY FEATURE. Oh, and how do you disconnect for offline play?

post a link to the survey results.

The Steam website is down :(

this is a joke. every time they say they can cope easily with updates, they fail terribly. this wasnt even a big update or anything. my update got to 100% then steam just disappeared, it was still open in task manager so i closed it, and now when i try to run it i just get a fatal exception.
their website cant even manage to stay up, and i'm beginning to think their network is made from cardboard.

Well, the BUY FEATURE isn't in steam. Steam supports the sale of games now through steam. So you'll be able to buy CS:CZ soon probably through a valve sponsored site or steampowered. Then the game will download to you. There is no list of games and you just click buy and get them.

And for the offline play, first you have to let all your games d/l something. Takes a little while. Then when you right click the game and go to properties the games will say "Offline: Supported" or something like that. Now you can unplug from the internet and start a lan game or play the original Half Life single player game without connection to the internet. If you have broadband that would all be pointless of course besides the lan game.

Have you actually seen the ammount of people that got the update in the short space of time. And did the HL2 survey...

It reached many thousand.....

Their network must be demi-godlike if you ask me lol....

I think gabe said once that every time they think they have estimated the ammount of people who are gona download the next steam update they are no where near.

And I don't think they did this on purpose....

They got overwhelmed.....

If you ask me I think they should have done several smaller updates in quick succession to avvoid the massive clog all at once... But thats me. :)

Well it's getting better... I can get to where I have to enter my password now!

Then it won't connect... heh...

OMG, steam works now, but now i have to wait 122 days before HL is updated.......

arrrrgh, IT stopped !!!?!???
wtf... steam is N/A ?

I bet i won't be playing tonight.

Well cmon. The steampowered.com website is down and it won't update my halflife OR counterstrike. If they can't handle sending hundreds of thousands of people these relatively small files when they want it (NOW) then they certainly could not resonably THINK about destrivuting Halflife2 whenever it comes out! What stupids!

what can i do about the illegal operations? reinstall or what? because i dont really feel like it.

Ok... each time I read through a page of these posts there is another page added.

I am now on my new account.....

However. I need to get that damn verification email so I can add some CD keys and play some god damn games!!! :rolling:

I get that lame exception thing, hopefully it will just magically go away. Reinstalling it is plan B.

Steam crash0rzd om me

- no comment . exept: my pc normally doesn't crash programs

Back