HL2 vid in the making.

skater4evr5

Reaction score
is there any other program at all that captures video from games, besides FRAPS?

FRAPS hogs all my FPS and i dont want that title above my movie.

Im making a video tribute to HL2. ;)

And FRAPS saved in pretty big format i need a little smaller vids and work just like fraps.

There is a program called Gamecam that is years better than fraps, but without the registered version you can't get any sound.

i think i got the right program, but how to i run it and stop it for vids and screenies ?? :dozey:

:x Jacen's video is nice. I remember that theme song in the video was also sampled in another song.

hl2 can output frame by frame sequences for compilation into a video... so it woudln't matter if your computer is fast your not.

do a forum search.

Oh ya Jacen, That was THE BEST video of HL2 i have ever seen. Even everysingle movement syncronizes with the music.

Sorry for double post, but ailevation i have to disagree with you. The MP3 Jacen has much more umm...."attitude".

Soulray said:
Sorry for double post, but ailevation i have to disagree with you. The MP3 Jacen has much more umm...."attitude".

:LOL: I know, I was teasing him, the song I posted up... I think it's horrible. I just posted it up because the song I posted is a sample from the one in his video.

If you have a GFX card with TV-out (almost all of them do these days) then you should be able to set your GFX driver to output to the S-video connector so you can record to a VCR / DVDR or another PC. That way there isn't another program using memory etc.

donutty_uk said:
If you have a GFX card with TV-out (almost all of them do these days) then you should be able to set your GFX driver to output to the S-video connector so you can record to a VCR / DVDR or another PC. That way there isn't another program using memory etc.
this will give you horrible grainy images.
i still dont get why ppl try to capture videos the hard way :rolling:

btw: i think i got the the bgm for my next vid.

grainy?

grainy? what graphics card you got because when i output from tv/out it looks crystal to me!

cmulder said:
grainy? what graphics card you got because when i output from tv/out it looks crystal to me!
even if you record with a dvdr, you will have suboptimal images.
and this wont get better if you edit the scenes.
but dvdr "could" work out. its just more work to write it on dvd and then writing it to the hd again.
and i think you are also limited in the range of resolutions that you can choose.

with vcr ... forget it. the image gets so blurred, that u cant even read anything. also if you capture them back to the pc it will get even worse.

also you seem to forget, that not every1 has a dvdr tv recorder or a vcr, or even a tv, near his pc.
+
this things cost money.
+
if u have a bad pc, you will get the same choppynes as in the game.

Dude, why don't you stop hating on everyone and explain how you do it?

ship said:
Dude, why don't you stop hating on everyone and explain how you do it?
?
im not hating any1. im just said that u will suffer considerable quality loss and may experience choppy framerates when choosing the analog method.

and i allready described on how to render it ingame.
about 3 times now, and i dont like posting the same post over and over again.

jacen said:
this will give you horrible grainy images.
i still dont get why ppl try to capture videos the hard way :rolling:

btw: i think i got the the bgm for my next vid.

so what do you say I use jacen ?

Im confused by all these posts ?
:dozey:

skater4evr5 said:
so what do you say I use jacen ?

okay ... 4th time:
1)
bind "F10" "host_framerate 60; startmovie temp"
bind "F11" "host_framerate 30; startmovie temp"
bind "F12" "endmovie"

2)
press f10/f11 to start video recording during a demo

3)
dl virtualdub (www.wirtualdub.net)
note: you can also do that with many other programs ... bmp2avi for example

4)
start virtualdub ...
file -> open video file

5)
browse to your hl2 dir
select the first of the many tgas

6)
file -> save avi

7)
done

jacen said:
okay ... 4th time:
1)
bind "F10" "host_framerate 60; startmovie temp"
bind "F11" "host_framerate 30; startmovie temp"
bind "F12" "endmovie"

2)
press f10/f11 to start video recording during a demo

3)
dl virtualdub (www.wirtualdub.net)
note: you can also do that with many other programs ... bmp2avi for example

4)
start virtualdub ...
file -> open video file

5)
browse to your hl2 dir
select the first of the many tgas

6)
file -> save avi

7)
done

that way is UBER laggy and looks worse than FRAPS !

EEEK

skater4evr5 said:

EEEK
We wanna see your vid! Hurry uuuupppppp! :p

skater4evr5 said:

EEEK

I have a dated system and it works perfectly fine. The reason it's laggy is because it's saving frames out as TGA's on your hard drive. It may take longer to record but you won't drop any frames in the process, and the result will be a perfectly smooth AVI, with the quality only dependent on the bitrate/codec you use. I'd imagine you're probably trying to do it in full screen at a high resolution, which even on a high end system will probably be slow. Your best bet would be to run the game in a window at 640x480 while using the in-game record functions.

skater4evr5 said:

EEEK

while you are running the game it looks clike crap, but becasue it is outputting frame by frame tgas (images), the compiled version has no issues. YOu woudln't be able to play it while it is recording, thats why you make demos using the game's demo maker, and record the demo.

I'd imagine this is the same way they made the .bink files (the demonstration .exes previews we could download), as the rad game tools can do the same thing with tgas to make a bnk file. They already had a demo of it, so they just had the game write out those tgas.

---edit---

using this method, you can even run the game in a window with a specified size (ie, record it natively in the resoultion you woud want your final file using custom screensizes via commandline arguments). You could even use the highest graphcs settigns your card can handle, since it doens't matter what the game looks like while it is being recorded.

ship said:
We wanna see your vid! Hurry uuuupppppp! :p

i already got edited music. :) half way there .. i guess. well i'll try and run it in windowed mode and see if it turns out better, cuase i was running it in 1600 x 1200 and everything on high and such. and coverted it to AVI and it ended up at 7 FPS ?? :eek:

ok, well i tried it on windowed mode and lowest res available.

Convert to AVI and click to watch it and its like 3x speed ?!?!??!!

looks nice and runs smoothly but its really really fast ??

can anyone help ?

skater4evr5 said:
capturing will always be laggy
make the avi and it will be smooth as hell.

dont forget to set the framerate in vdub
video -> framerate -> change to 30 frames per second

and DONT CAPTURE AT RESOLUTIONS GREATER THEN 800x600!
why in the hell would you do that? that will give you horrible big filsizes.

jacen said:
capturing will always be laggy
make the avi and it will be smooth as hell.

dont forget to set the framerate in vdub
video -> framerate -> change to 30 frames per second

and DONT CAPTURE AT RESOLUTIONS GREATER THEN 800x600!
why in the hell would you do that? that will give you horrible big filsizes.

I fixed that problem, but now when I run it at 640 x 400, and i convert it into avi the vido runs nice, but it is like 3 x fast people runs uber fast and such ???
:flame:

ok i run it at 800 x 600 now and it gets 16 FPS and kinda looks like crap but when i run the smaller version ( 640x 420 ) it runs at 30 FPs, but its like 3x speed and really fast ?? why is this and how do i fix it ? :angry:

I have never had any probs with fraps.... other than the insane file sizes.

I always have mine set for 25 fps at half size. Then to convert it I use what jacen said. Virtualdub. You may want to use some video filters with virtualdub. (I.E. Sharpness, HSV.....)

the game runs fine.

when you convert the images in, the program that one guy gave me the link to it. ANd then you cant really play it smoothly in the program, so you convert it to AVI to see its final quialty, i guess.

And then it looks nice and all, but its like 3 x speed . everyone runs super fast.

what is the host_framerate set at or whatever? they should be all the same (the host_framrate, and the virtual dub)

Ultimape said:
what is the host_framerate set at or whatever? they should be all the same (the host_framrate, and the virtual dub)

it was set to 60.

now i set it to 30.

runs pretty good now.

But i cant ssem to get full in game FPs out os this method of capturing video. ;(

My ingame graphics are amazing at 80 FPs, when i do the method exactly and convert to AVI it looks like22 FPS or even lower. :(

oh well back to FRAPS ;(

Cyphersphere said:
yeah ... its not really smooth.
if you look at it frame by frame, you see that you get the same frame 2 times at times where you hit thinkgs with the physgun.
so effectivly your running at lower then 25fps some of the time.

if you capture frameconstant in the game ... its frameconstant when you creating the avi.
no redundant information in the video
no stuttering at all (only when you have a REALLY shaky hand and **** up the mouse movement)

jacen said:
if you look at it frame by frame, you see that you get the same frame 2 times at times where you hit thinkgs with the physgun.

if you capture frameconstant in the game ... its frameconstant when you creating the avi.
no stuttering at all (only when you have a REALLY shaky hand and **** up the mouse movement)

Yes you do see 2 frames at once in a couple of the segments... I'm not sure wether or not it was all of the movement being calculated or the actual recording... but my framerate was at a constant 30-32 fps while recording...

It's not that I have a shaky hand, rather I don't like to move it much, my sensitivity is set for 14-16....

DarkSonic said:
There is a program called Gamecam that is years better than fraps, but without the registered version you can't get any sound.

Going to try that out myself.

um i tried game cam it just sits there on my hard drvei there is no way to load it and set hotkeys :(

jacen said:

and how exactly would i go about capturing frameconstant in game?

Back