HL2- what "Physics Tricks" are you going to perform ?

Corupter

Reaction score
This Thread Brought to you by Corupter in association with Brian Damage

Right, well this topic was thoughtfully donated by Brian Damage unfortunately he had to disconnect due to people wanting to use his phone line.

Other wise this would be an official joint post, instead it’s just an unofficial joint post.

So guys what kind of "Physics Tricks" are you going to perform ?

One suggestion donated by Brian Damage:

"I think I'll try to play baseball with the crowbar and some Headcrabs..."

Sounds like a good idea to me, so let’s see what you lot come up with ?

:naughty:

P.S - when Brian Damage gets back on he's going to comment on my bad grammar and punctuation so please reply to this thread so he doesn’t shout at me because he'll be stunned at the sheer volume of replies !

Trying to hit an object with the manipulator from distance.. Make some sort of contest.

flupke said:
Trying to hit an object with the manipulator from distance.. Make some sort of contest.

Heh like some sort of shot putt event

James Isaac said:
Something that involves running stuff over with vehicles :)

Woot yeh that sounds like fun could also cruise down to the City17 beaches and pick up digital chicks.

:thumbs:

i personally like the idea of manipulator tennis :) using a radiator or paint can as the ball and firing it from person to person across the map ;)

Personally although it isn't exactly a Physics Trick i would like to gamble on Ant Lion Racing,

Its the next big thing, who cares about grey hounds, Ant Lions are the way to go ! :smoking:

Something I've already done is bed racing. Weld 4 gasbottles to a bed, shot the caps off. :)

moppe said:
Something I've already done is bed racing. Weld 4 gasbottles to a bed, shot the caps off. :)

Erm isn't that a tad dangerous ? :bounce:

try to destroy everything with my weapons, BOOM BAM BAM DISH DOOOOOM AHH WAIT DON'T SHOT DOF DISH AH

As I said Everything.

G0rgon said:
try to destroy everything with my weapons, BOOM BAM BAM DISH DOOOOOM AHH WAIT DON'T SHOT DOF DISH AH

As I said Everything.

That is true everything must be shot at.

but still what little games do you think you could play in the world of Half Life 2 ?

Throwing a barrel up in the air with the manipulator, grabbing a paint can really quick, and firing it at the barrel while it's still in flight. ;-)

Not a physic trick but I'll have fun just running off down the street in the opposite direction to where I need to go.
Hope to find a quiet pub for a cool beer. Few pints later I'll think about finding my way back or just decide to let Barney fight the combine himself :LOL:

G.Freeman said:
Not a physic trick but I'll have fun just running off down the street in the opposite direction to where I need to go.
Hope to find a quiet pub for a cool beer. Few pints later I'll think about finding my way back or just decide to let Barney fight the combine himself :LOL:

Yeh nip to the pub while the rest off your allies are being attack by oh i dunno a strider, sit back and drink a few pints :thumbs:

SMT said:
Throwing a barrel up in the air with the manipulator, grabbing a paint can really quick, and firing it at the barrel while it's still in flight. ;-)

Heh, a bit like pantball then !

sounds like it would be pretty cool if you could do that on an online multiplayer mod of HL2

grabbing a dead combine and bashing a living one to death with him and then throw a guy at a strider and/or then picking up a rock and throwing it at its head in a classic and comedic HL1 crowbar swing style.

Gordon'sFreeman said:
grabbing a dead combine and bashing a living one to death with him and then throw a guy at a strider and/or then picking up a rock and throwing it at its head in a classic and comedic HL1 crowbar swing style.

unfortunately only certain dead bodies will be able to be manipulated Physically (lol that sounds wrong)
Gabe stated that the map designers would have to designate which bodies by "tagging" them.
so Im assuming that its more like an object that happens to be a body that can be placed for ambience, rather than an enemy who you killed... unfortunately.

wtf... just got a RPC - remote Procedure call service error
bah restarting in 30?

I was thinking of riding with some sort of a wagon or whatever and my friend would push me off a cliff ..............................................................onto my other friend.

Gordon'sFreeman said:

HEHE...

i apologies in advanced for my really bad photoshop. :thumbs:

Attachments

• Eat Rocks Strider.jpg
    Eat Rocks Strider.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 514
samo said:
I was thinking of riding with some sort of a wagon or whatever and my friend would push me off a cliff ..............................................................onto my other friend.

Interesting......

:p

Corupter said:
HEHE...

i apologies in advanced for my really bad photoshop. :thumbs:

hehe, i was thinking more of throwing one rock in like that HL1 style swing then looking up and going "Oh Sh*t" and running away with a strider chasing me OR!..

Throwing the rock and saying, "you wrecked my car you stupid three legged yuppy! come here ill smack you down!" Style.

Can anyone say Bowling for Combine?

And please do not discuss the beta. That's one MORE thing the community knows now, thanx to you. gj gw

EDIT: Hahaha Gordon's.
And about the manipulatable bodies, Valve wouldn't be stupid and do stuff like, oh, you can only pick up this one if you killed it, but not this one because it's used for a sequence, or if it's raining, in January.

I'm sure what they intend is stuff like, if the monster is a big one, (Strider, Gunship) then you can't pick it up, even though... I don't see why you WOULD be able to... Maybe on Xen you could cuz of low grav.? Hmmmm.

I trust Valve they will know what to do. :)

Gordon'sFreeman said:
hehe, i was thinking more of throwing one rock in like that HL1 style swing then looking up and going "Oh Sh*t" and running away with a strider chasing me OR!..

Throwing the rock and saying, "you wrecked my car you stupid three legged yuppy! come here ill smack you down!"

Well if i get my scanner working in the next few hours i may make that scene properly.
:bounce:

vegeta897 said:

And please do not discuss the beta. That's one MORE thing the community knows now, thanx to you. gj gw

Hey, dunna blame us :angel:

vegeta897 said:

This one didn't bother me, actually, it made me more excited about the game, didn't thought of stuff to do like that.

something with a domino effect and in the end something falls in the water:p

ferd said:
something with a domino effect and in the end something falls in the water:p

Heh, the possibilties are endless. :bounce:

I'm going to build a house out of boxes and scraps of wood and what not.. and ill live there while the hl2 world goes on around me.

Mac said:
I'm going to build a house out of boxes and scraps of wood and what not.. and ill live there while the hl2 world goes on around me.

If you do that you have to promise me you'll take a screen campture of it ! :thumbs:

I think the physics can be used for more things than I can imagine.

My fav moment would be of the entire Combine Tower crumbling down in thousands of metal pieces.

vegeta897 said:
EDIT: Hahaha Gordon's.
And about the manipulatable bodies, Valve wouldn't be stupid and do stuff like, oh, you can only pick up this one if you killed it, but not this one because it's used for a sequence, or if it's raining, in January.

Evil^Milk said:
Hi ,

Please see answers to your questions below.

Thanks!
Rick Ellis
Valve

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 2:31 PM
To: Gabe Newell; Rick Ellis
Subject: Just some HL2 Questions...

Hello - I had a few questions I just had to ask...

Will dead NPCs' bodies be 'usable' with the manipulator, dead or alive?

*** Not all of them but the ones the level designers have specifically tagged will be usable with the physcannon.

What other melee weapons are planned or featured besides the crowbar?

*** You'll have to wait and see on this one

Will objects like wooden tables, boxes, computers, and other things gib realistically like the watermelon in the e3 video? In the same way, will NPCs gib this way?

** Yes, anything that's deemed "breakable" will realistically break like the watermelon in the demo.

What other vehicles will be featured?

*** Yes, but I can't give them away

Thank you for your time, HL2's gonna rock...

*** Thanks, we're trying to build the best game we can and appreciate the support.
something like that.

its now a known fact you can weld stuff (as mentioned in PC gamer and other articles). I dont think its a spoiler any hoo, whats there to spoil by the knowledge of a weapon that welds, heck ill even say its the alt fire for the physics gun :D.

but im going to weld a few barrels to the top of one of those rotor blade spinning thingy's that chop the zombies up. then sit back and observe virtual centrifugal forces :p

First time I heard about the welding was in one of the few beta spoilers I've seen that I didn't mind. Didn't realise that it was in PC Gamer... I would love to see what we can come up with...

Another thing I'd like to do is to start a kind of "barrel stampede" on a sloping area...

Oh, and Corupter? At least you've got the capitals and full-stops down-pat now :E.

Same I did in the BETA.

Prop a chain link fence against a solid object, line some gas cylinders at the bottom of the now created slope, get my crowbar and knock the valves off the bottles.

Home made rocket launcher.

Back