HL2 World gets release candidate date from Gabe

Anyone know how long it too Activision to give the OK for Doom 3's RC?

The Mullinator said:
Its mostly for legal matters that the publisher will test it, deciding what the rating should be, giving the marketing team all the information they need to do their job, as well as everything Letters said.

The ESRB decides on the rating, not Vivendi.

Shuzer said:
The ESRB decides on the rating, not Vivendi.
Yes I have never been sure how exactly it does that though, I never hear games being sent to the ESRB for rating so I assumed the ESRB people also take part in the same testing phase that the publishers do for deciding what rating to give.

The Mullinator said:
Yes I have never been sure how exactly it does that though, I never hear games being sent to the ESRB for rating so I assumed the ESRB people also take part in the same testing phase that the publishers do for deciding what rating to give.

According to.. someone who posts on these forum and is apparently working in the game industry.. the game developers compiles a video of what they think to be the most intense parts of their game.. and they send it off, and the ESRB people review it and base the rating on that.

Shuzer said:
According to.. someone who posts on these forum and is apparently working in the game industry.. the game developers compiles a video of what they think to be the most intense parts of their game.. and they send it off, and the ESRB people review it and base the rating on that.
Wow thats alot different from how I had expected. I always thought the ESRB was much more thourough about it.

Shuzer said:
Letters = WinRAR!

..oh, wait

I just got made fun of by Shuzer...

YAYS!!! THAT RULED, I NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD BE LIKE THAT!!! :naughty:

I AM SO PROUD!

AFAIK, the developer pretty much says "this game will have guns that kill human like things. There will be blood, fairly realistic. There will be swear words and sexual jokes."

ESRB says "ok, thanks for telling us, M."

(that wasn't an example for hl2...jsut a generic example)

Developers don't have anyhting to gain by lying about it, so that's pretty mcu hhow it works.

Deceiving is fun though SidewinderX143. DUH! :p You got a point though :cheers:

Interesting how the supposed RC date is the same day pre-loading for CS:Source Beta is suppose to begin.

^^ They said before they expected it to start on the RC1 date

If cs:s is HL2's multiplayer component, I can't imagine ESRB to give HL2 a TEEN rating ever, for one thing it has violence related to humans, the theme of terrorists, and lastly blood/gore and killing humans.

HAhaha classic review :D

It is not the publishers job to playtest the game,
It also proves it's not the developers job to test games rofl!!

halflife1 only had one RC, and we know valve are playtesting hl2 to death, so i think it going gold on the first RC is fairly likely.

Dr0ndeh said:
halflife1 only had one RC, and we know valve are playtesting hl2 to death, so i think it going gold on the first RC is fairly likely.

I'm telling from before: HL2 will be released on September 1st 2004. Assuming that HL2 will go gold by mid-august, even 5 days are enough for shipping.

(sudeki went gold on 15th july, and shipped on 20th july).

i think sept 30th, the date it has been from the very very beggining.

they never said sept 30th 2003 :D

edit: for a game as popular as hl2, 5 days isnt enough for distribution. 2-3 weeks perhaps.

looks like evrything i have been waiting for is gonna happen while i'm in Europe and computerless....this is gonna suck.

It depends - mid-august to sept 1 should be like 2 weeks. The nuff'?

PS: check out the video review on streaming video of Big rigs at gamepsot...hillarious!

poor reviewer had to kill himself, he literally went on the road to get hit by a truck :LOL:

alan00000 said:
i think gabe newell made a huge mistake of letting hl2 be released after doom3 big mistake what do you think
No. It won't affect the quality of the game - why is it a mistake? And besides it's not Gabe, it's Valve. Poor guy gets all the flak for any mistakes.

el Chi said:
No. It won't affect the quality of the game - why is it a mistake? And besides it's not Gabe, it's Valve. Poor guy gets all the flak for any mistakes.
Indeed.. Lets give Gabe a cuddle

/me cuddles Gabe.

Anyways, I'm not trusting anything that comes out of hl2world. I'm still suffering mentally from my last visit there.

el Chi said:

Exactly. heh, HL2 is more pre-odered than Doom 3, last time I heard. Now the statistics would have changed, obviously - since doom 3 is just around the corner.

lans said:
If cs:s is HL2's multiplayer component, I can't imagine ESRB to give HL2 a TEEN rating ever, for one thing it has violence related to humans, the theme of terrorists, and lastly blood/gore and killing humans.
well, call of duty and bf42 are "T". If the gore level is around that, "T" is possible.

Nah the gore level will be higher than them. CoD wasn't particularly gory - HL2 will be an M or whatever you crazy Yank folks have... What does M translate to in age? I know it stands for Mature, but what is that exactly?

el Chi said:
Nah the gore level will be higher than them. CoD wasn't particularly gory - HL2 will be an M or whatever you crazy Yank folks have... What does M translate to in age? I know it stands for Mature, but what is that exactly?

Are there mature Americans then?

(sorry this was an American bash I couldn't resist, no offense of course :))

It's got to be higher than teen, I mean we've got hit decals on bodies, torso (and other body parts, probably) dismembering and even gibbing. It has to be Mature.

KagePrototype said:
The UK will most likely just get a 15.
Don't we use those stupid PEGI ratings now? I imagine it'll be 16+

Yeah those PEGI ratings are quite funny. The little symbols for the different naughty things that we can't let the sensitive be exposed to are very funny. The one telling people that the game is very scary is a spider...

Well it'll probably get banned in Australia lol.

Those bastards banned GTA. It had to get changed so you couldn't have sex with hookers, kill them then take their money. I mean, honestly, what's wrong with that?

bug free in ~16 days. doesn't it sound good?! :) hopefully cs:s won't hold on the release of hl2.

I don't think Vivendi will do much testing to approve the RC. I'm sure they're dying to get this thing on store shelves to help there bottom line. I think 2-3 days to play the game through and put on their stamp of approval.

My guess is mid-August gold announcement and a Sept 3 release date.

incorrigible said:
I don't think Vivendi will do much testing to approve the RC. I'm sure they're dying to get this thing on store shelves to help there bottom line. I think 2-3 days to play the game through and put on their stamp of approval.

My guess is mid-August gold announcement and a Sept 3 release date.

but keep in mind, you don't know the status of optimisations to run well on different kinds of hardware, and what is still left to do to have a balanced game.

Back