holy ****ing shit its H.A.W.X.

After reading the article I'm going to pass on this one. First of all it doesn't sound like there is an in-cockpit view. Right there it's a no go for me. Buuuuut, if it turns out they have a cockpit view I'm still not interested due to the ERS system and the fact that new age fighter combat isn't fun TO ME unless realism is high (arcade/sim combo isn't high IMO). WWII era dogfighting is at least enjoyable regardless of the realism level, although much better when realistic.

After reading the article I'm going to pass on this one. First of all it doesn't sound like there is an in-cockpit view. Right there it's a no go for me. Buuuuut, if it turns out they have a cockpit view I'm still not interested due to the ERS system and the fact that new age fighter combat isn't fun TO ME unless realism is high (arcade/sim combo isn't high IMO). WWII era dogfighting is at least enjoyable regardless of the realism level, although much better when realistic.

Might wanna read this(about the ERS)

IGN said:
the most useful being the ERS system, which we'll get into in a moment. The camera with assistance on follows close behind your plane giving you a perfect perspective for targeting enemies.

With assistance off, the camera pulls far back giving you a broader view of the sky and your plane. Your combat vehicle becomes quite small on screen. With assistance off, you have no safety locks on your plane whatsoever. This means that you have no limitations to movements -- and no anti-stall countermeasures. The only way to pull off great aerial feats is with assistance off. You can hit the brakes, pull up hard to almost stall out, then as your plane starts to rotate over, accelerate to pull off a very sharp loop-the-loop. This type of maneuver is perfect for dodging incoming missiles or for turning the advantage on an enemy that's tailing you. It's also the best way to save your ass if you are about to crash into the ground or a mountain. You just can't turn as sharply with assistance on.

Don't think of assistance on/off as difficulty settings. You will use these two modes interchangeably throughout each mission. With a double-tap of the brakes, you turn assistance off and with a double-tap of the thrusters you turn it back on. It's a quick and easy transition and one that we got used to very quickly. Though you lose the great view of your plane when the assistance is off, we found it far easier to maneuver in this mode. Plus, you get to pull off some swank tricks -- and can enjoy the thrill of trying to pull out of a stall moments before slamming into the ocean.

With assistance on, you have the use of the very helpful ERS system. If you target an enemy, you can tap the ERS button and an intercept path will illuminate. Follow the path and you will connect with your target. This can also be used to get out of the way of trailing missiles, but isn't as effective as just turning off assistance and then doing a sly maneuver to lose the heat on your ass. We should mention that as a final safety measure, you can drop one of a limited number of flares to guide the heat-seeker away from your plane.

Back