• Friends

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • Other ...

Votes: 45 46.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lammmbda

Reaction score
so ???? how did you first find out that Half-life 2 is coming out ??
ME saw the HL2 preview in Hangar16.com when i was downloading OpFor single player maps...

YOU ???

I voted for FPS forums-Unreal 2's to be exact.
This is an interestinig topic, glad it's not a Half-Life 2 delay thread.
/me hands lammmbda a cookie

I just heard it splatterd all over the web when all those shots where released

well first i used common sense and knew there would be a half-life 2. then i saw the annoucement on a news site.

Forum; I think it was a thread about the (not so) cryptic crowbar teaser picture in Edge magazine.

Oh yea, that crowbar with the shadow on a white background.
My theory was that the crow(due to it's angle) and the shadow made a 2.

I was there when it was pretty much first realised that there'd soon be an announcement. At the time we obviously all thought it would just be Valve saying "Yes, it's in development - we've only just started it. It's release date is 'when it's done'."

The suspicion of an imminant announcement was caused by the back page of the EDGE UK magazine that just had a picture of a crowbar with "next month...." underneath it. There was lots of speculation, then that guy (Me110n or something) recieved a copy of PC Gamer several month earlier than he should have done which had the first HL2 preview in it - and the most shocking news:

30th September 2003

For me it was the amazing Next Month back cove of Edge Magazine(best mag in the world btw). It was a crow-bar and its shadow which looked liek a 2! I knew then there was only one possibility

I heard about it on the Gaming-Age forum.

July 2002, I was in Redmond Washington taking a class in 3D modeling when my instructor (who was also a major Half-Life fan) told me that a former student of his is now working for Valve and that they've been working on Half-Life 2 for some time.

Flights of singing angels carried forth on beams of heavenly light.

<Kills the fanboy inside>
No actually it was the usual inet gubbins: Look, scanned pictures!
I didn't believe it. Not to begin with.

yeah, i was really upset when i releasised they has turned to pre rendered cut scenes. Then i found out they wernt pre rendered. Then i died and went to heaven. Me = fan boi ever since :)

Saw the crowbar ad from Edge magazine on the svencoop forums.

Then came the scanned pics.

I believed that they were mock-ups - not because I thought they were "so good they CAN'T be real!!" but because I just didn't belive it at the time. There were some dodgy things with a few of the pictures and the odd similarity with the old engine. But I realised eventually that they were real and my excitment has been heightening ever since.
How pre-emptively nostalgiac are we? Oh, Christ almighty.
<Implodes>

A friend of mine showed me that crowbar add back in march or april. At which point I made haste and joined the sierra forums. One day I came home, went to the Unreal 2 forums, and boom! 2 screens from a mag were up. The one of the orange level and the combine shooting at the ant lions. I cant remember the last time I got so excited about a game. Ohh and I forgot, also that magazine scan with Gordon.

Well I just had a general idea that Half-life 2 was being made, it was always joked about in mags and websites, so I thought 'its gotta be being made, what else is Valve doing?' then I opened an issue of PCGamer, and there it was, a full article on it, I was like 'YES! this is what I knew was going to happen' Then I started looking for info on it, and its led me to these forums, which is a pretty good point of the whole thing lol

I saw 'Half-Life 2 will eventuallt be made' on PHL in 1999.... in the time we thought TF2 would actually come out...

Later, I think I just made a search for Half-Life on GameFAQs, found the HL2 board and began posting on a daily basis since then.

i saw the p'ic of the crowbar and gordon wit alex on csnation, when the first released it.

The first time I saw it was in a games mag in february, where a distributor had an article about all the games that where being released this year.

I saw a commercial in a gamemag where there was a picture of a red crowbar and it said something like:
"He's back" or "Guess who's back"

I saw some guys talked about the HL2 E3-movie on IRC and then i downloaded it.

No, actually it didn't say "Guess who's back" or anything like that.
What I saw was this:

ttanggaard_150403Halfbig1.jpg

I opened up a copy of PCFormat magazine and saw a shiny two page spread of the big strider image with the civilians running away - I was amazed! Very little info with the image so I Google'd it and found, amongst other places, Halflife2.net. :)

Originally posted by lammmbda
so ???? how did you first find out that Half-life 2 is coming out ??
ME saw the HL2 preview in Hangar16.com when i was downloading OpFor single player maps...

YOU ???

E3 Dummy

All the mod makers on the bf42 forums were complaining about the lack of SDK, then some people started talking about how HL2 will be the best to mod, but i thoguht at first that it wouldnt be any good at vehicles, and the maps would be small. But i googled it and found here, read the info from valve thread(not as many pages back then) and BAM, i was excited.

I was told by an email from game spy that HL2 is in the making. and that was around 1.3 year/s...

i was hanging in #byns on quakenet when the first Censored magazine cover scan was leaked onto the web... everyone was like.... 'WTF??!@@'

surfin the web when suddenly

dsl starts dling at 2.3 megs a second. not a typo.

whoa! must go to fileplanet and dl everything

and thats how i met the 600 meg video

i dont know where id be if that never happened.....

My website was one of the first to post the screenshots within minutes of them being leaked, I got them off some people in IRC and other places..

Back