How do i release a map ???

S

synchromesh

I have read the stickys but cant find the info i need...In Eliteforce or Quake you make a PK3 that usually contains all the files textures etc. required for someone to download and play your deathmatch map...All they do is extract it to thier Base folder ...

So how does it work in HL2 ???
For instance a custom deathmatch map i have made. How would i make the PK3 or equivelant ???

Thanks in advance :)

what?

Just make the map, make the files into one Zip (bsp.ptr. additional textures/sounds etc), upload the zip to a site....let others download it.

To use it, place it in the game "map" folder, like:

"steamapps/your@account/half-life2/hl2/maps"

If you mean how the maps spreads on the servers etc etc, its the admin which has downloaded the map, "installed" it, and edited the "map cycle" file. And when other connects to it, they automaticly download it....then they start a server, other download, then they start a server, and other download etc etc etc and it spreads like a sex desiase (if its a good map)

lol

Thanks Ravioli !!!

Its just making the file i was wondering about.

LOL !!! Love the last bit you added though :)

ShowNomercy !!! .............Your a Goddam star !!!
Thats the kind of tool i was looking for...

Thanks mate :)

No prob, I knew exactly what you were looking for cause I was in your exact shoes!

I nvr mapped for EF but played the hell out of it for many years! We probably fragged in the same servers! I was a lowgrav weinie but played both and a lil dis!

Glad I could be of service!

Ohyeah, what kind of maps are you working on curious to see what ur doing!! And, have you seen this (might be a dumb question, if not you'll be stoked)....

http://www.eliteforcetc.com/

Thanks for using my proggy :) If you have any questions, comments or requests, i'll be glad to help and add new features.

Ohyeah, what kind of maps are you working on curious to see what ur doing!!

Well in True EF Style im continuing where i left off as i love StarTrek :)
At the moment im more learning hammer for the EFTC mod for Halflife 2 but i am slowly getting there as the pics show.
I have a lot of stuff i can also import that i have already made for EF and EF2 but that doesnt make it easier to map as only basic brushwork survives the conversion but it does help. The Engineering was actually Wolf359's section for the Starfleet museum we were building for EF2 so i thought it would be great to resurrect some of his work as well

Heres more of my stuff i may try to put across.

MY OTHER STUFF

ED.jpg

HLMOD.jpg

Ok call me stupid !!!
I cant get this Bspzipgui to work ???
Its not the tool its me.....I really dont know where the files are meant to be stored to get it to compile them.
If i point it to my enterprise mod i get a failure. Is there a idiot guide for it ??
Please remember this is all new to me :)

Theres so much i dont uderstand like i create a new mod...But what do i have to do to make it deathmatch...CSS ...Etc ....it seems difficult in some respects compared to EF :(

Well, first, did you compile your map will the normal settings for vbsp, vvis and vrad? Second, have you made custom textures? Third, does everything works? for you? If everything is fine, then you can think about embeding every custom content into the bsp file. The easiest way would be to use a list file. There is a documentation for the command line tool bspzip: http://www.valve-erc.com/srcsdk/Levels/bspzip.html. This is not the documentation for my program, but you can read it to understand how it works. Then, read the part "Embedding a list of files" and especially the example of the list file. Then in bspzipGUI, choose the Add List option, browse to your bsp file (your map), then browse for the file path (the list file) you made (in the part "Embedding a list of files"). Don't forget that Steam must be running when you embed the stuff. Sorry I didn't make a complete help file, english is not my primary language so it's kind of hard for me to explain clearly what I mean.

That helps a lot TI133700N !!
For starters i didnt realise i had to use the "add list " feature so i have definatly been going wrong there :)
The map is 100% custom textures so again i didnt know that makes a difference. I understood what the GUI was trying to do but i just couldnt seem to get it to point to the textures to embed into the bsp.

I will try again and let you know how i get on :)

Just to confirm by what you have said and what you pointed me to read for adding custom textures for my mod i would make a textfile in a text editor with something like " G:/HALF/SteamApps/sourcemods/enterprise/materials/tng/panel.vmt " then point to that when i tick the "addlist" button ???

If so then that seems easy enough but the one thing confusing me is where do i point "source_sdk content" in the GUI ???
Being a custom mod the default path " g:\half\steamapps\synchromesh\sourcesdk_content " doesnt actually contain any of my files or does that just have to point there for the gui to work ??

source_sdk_content textbox is there as a reference for my program to use the bspzip.exe program. You can click on the button under the textbox to let bspzipGUI find the right directory for you.

After that, select the Add List option. Of course the bsp path is for the bsp (your map). And the file path is to point to the list file you created (txt). It should look like this:

materials/metal/sample.vmt
C:/Program Files/Valve/Steam/SteamApps/username/half-life 2 deathmatch/hl2mp/materials/metal/sample.vmt
materials/metal/sample.vtf
C:/Program Files/Valve/Steam/SteamApps/username/half-life 2 deathmatch/hl2mp/materials/metal/sample.vtf

One line is the relative path (relative to the hl2 folder or your mod folder) and the second is the actual, full path to the file you want to embed.

I got a question concerning all this too, however my map isn't quite ready yet. Just for the sake of future reference. Is there a popular website where a collection of maps and mods can be downloaded? If so, I'd like to send my map to that website and have a bunch of other people download and play/review it. Just curious cause the other games ive played do that too i think. I dont wanna just set up a laggy server with my map on it that no one will want to join.

nice...i dont mind waitin...in the past i used to have to wait 1-2 weeks.

Back