How do you make an outdoor map?

J

jkenny

Hello i am trying to make an outdoor map, I started by creating a textured sky and tried to place a floor but it doesnt texture, it is just black when I run the game and when I try to texture it it just places the texture on the ground and the ground I wanted to create is clear.

make sure no brushes you have share both the sky texture and a world texture..

I dont quite understand what you're doing... I guess you could start by making the hollow sky surrounding the level with 6 box brushes then putting in asnother textures ground brush and going from there but that wont be good for vis....

you need to sort of try and seperate different outdoor areas with caves or sharp turns to avoid having too much drawn at once..

For sky, use the tools/toolsskybox texture on any brush.

For light from the sky, use a light_environment entity.

What kind of ground do you want to make that it be clear?

I don't want the groun to be clear, I was unsure how to start an outdoor environment so I made a hollow box to start with then made a flat plane inside of that and textured it as ground. Notice that I made the plane halfway up inside my box but it shows up as on the ground. Also when I tried to run the map ingame it also showed no ground. Here maybe a screenshot would help:
9e6a9b2c.jpg

What do you mean by wanting it to be clear? Can you elaborate? I don't quite get what you are trying to do.

first of all, in the pictures, your using the actual "textures" of the skybox. What you need to do is type "tool" in the texture browser and look for a light blue texture with "skybox" on it. Also, it would be a very good idea to take a look at this tutorial: http://forum.interlopers.net/viewtopic.php?t=1798

toolsskybox is the name of the sky texture that you want.

To control what sky texture is actually shown ingame go to "map properties"

Back