How long will it take?

Mr-Fusion

Tank
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone could take an educated guess as to how long it'll take from when the HL2 SDK is released to when mods actually start appearing for us to play?

by the time hl2 comes out i rekon the majority of seriously dedicated mods will have all models nearly complete and sound etc and the only thingys left are the things that they were limited too like mapping and coding, all that can take a range of time to complete depending how prepared they are, i would say Q1-Q2 2005.

It will never come out. hahahahha.
I will kill you all with my advanced laser guns.
then I will shoot you with my tree lights.

oh. I create maps. Well... I am really a advanced AI programmer for ACCUA. Programmers needed. Well, the real name classified by me and my programmers.
However, it would take me about a week to two weeks to finish a mod after the SDK came out. Just make sure your graphics and strategies ARE done.
After seeing I-Robot, it made me see that I need to stop programming. It is the stuff I work with everyday.
The real way to do it is program something to learn and program on its own and your job is done. Don't worry about telling it not to kill and bla bla bla until it has completed its programming.

Hahaha, if you release a mod 2 weeks after it will surely suck,
1: Bugs
2: Fix gameplay
3: Beta testing
4: Polish it.

You really dont make sense. (Apart if its a really small mod with no gameplay...)

but if you can get the first mod out, it doesn't matter if it's crappy as long as it's got a fun idea that can hold players attention until you can fix the big bugs and release the next betas. It worked for CS

I'd say that it's going to be maybe three days, max, before some mods start to come out. You didn't specify what kind of mod :) I'm saying mods like a "physics controller"that lets you make physics go in slow-mo/superfast/no friction/etc, or a mod that gives you two new weapons, or one that lets you grab living NPCs with the Manipulator. Little mods that take very little time to develop.

As for total conversions, those will take a lot longer. I'd say maybe a month tops before a TC is released.

Hard to say. For TCs, two months at the least. Thats if they've made all of their textures, made maps (you can change existing maps to new ones remember), models, etc. They have to code, tweak maps, then test the hell out of it.

Back