How to pre-order via steam ?

J

Jokkar1701

How can I pre-order via Steam ? (For the steam version of HL2 of course)

I don't see where I can do that on the steam website ??

Jokkar (Belgium)

You can't. It just start to download automaticly. Then you can deside to play it or not.

Originally posted by Kenny
You can't. It just start to download automaticly. Then you can deside to play it or not.

i'm pretty sure there will be some kind of pre-order thing setup so that they only preload it to people who are going to buy it...bad idea to waste bandwidth on a bunch of people who might not even buy HL2 over steam.

Auto-downloading without your consent would be pretty stupid, if Valve ever did this. Many people even on broadband have bandwidth limits. Downloading a multi-gig game without even knowing would make many people very mad.
For example, there’s an ISP in Australia called Telestra. Now Telstra, being the bastards that they are, make crappy cable plans that everyone’s forced to use cause there’s no other cable ISP in the whole country, except Optus, which equally sucks. Anyway, Telstra’s plans include a 550mb plan (I’m not kidding, This is for 10megabit Cable), for $US25 a month, or a 3gig plan for about $US37 a month. The thing is, many people being computer illiterate, choose the 550meg plan thinking it would be more than enough for them. Telstra though charges for overuse of the plan, PER MEG. Now someone who’s computer illiterate running Steam with Hl2 downloading in the background could face fines of up to $US5000 that month. They would be VERY pissed off.

GOD I hate Australian broadband...

Remind me never to move to Australia.

Well, actually, if there's some mass nuclear holocaust and cable internet becomes a long-forgotten network of the 'elder ones', I'll reconsider.

We used to have near-unlimited 10megabit cable on Optus for only $US37 a month, but then SingTel from Singapore took it over and gave us these crappy limits. Theres no competition at all between the 2 cable providers.
Anyway, enough thread hijacking.

Nice avatar Woggy!!!....Captain Pugwash, Seamen Staines, The Black Pig now that brings back memories......

im sure an option to download the game will appear much like the E=3 videos in the beta

Nice avatar Woggy!!!....Captain Pugwash, Seamen Staines, The Black Pig now that brings back memories...

Any more stupid spam like this or thread jacking and i will close this thread.

If they autoloaded HL2 onto your harddrive without you submitting credit info, somebody would eventually figure out how to crack it and then everyone would have HL2 for free.

They wont, since those people who has limited bandwidth would probably sue VALVe since they would have to pay for the extra Mb's and they would lose big money if someone found out how to crack it.
Since not everyone will buy it from Steam they probably wont, because then it would be easy to share it with friends and thats not very good for them since they would lose even more money.

now thats i think of it, how exactly are you gonna buy it through steam? if you DL it and it comes as a huge ass installer, say your HDD dies, you got the cd key, you paid for the game, but no game. Or is it that when u buy it from steam, theyll SEND you the game? im not really sure about how the "buying of HL2 from steam" is gonna work...

Back