Hydra mod

Can the HL2 single player even be modded? I don't think so but I could be wrong.

Er... Look.. You cant yust... "Mod" the thing into the game.... Thats creating an entire new enemy... Etc with the new ai... HARD to do.. Not like your average grunt...

oh well, I thought the hydra was in the 'leak' so the programmer could start from there.

Lets not get started on the leak eh?... Besides... Leaked material = Bad... Come on... You know right?

Last I checked, I remember seeing the code for the Hydra in the SDK.

But the Hydra model is not included.

well th game is already out, so i don't think its such a big deal now to look back at the older bits of code from the leak.

Didnt the brains behind the Hydra say somewhere that he was disappointed at the hydra being cut,but that it really wasnt all that impressive to fight it so they may release it in a level or you could ask them for info on it at least.

YOU STILL NEED THE MODEL.

And the leaked build didn't have any AI at all... It just ran some animations, and that's it.

You don't come here and post an entirely new thread asking why there isn't a Hydra mod. I mean seriously. You didn't even use proper grammar.

I get the feeling you are very spoiled... I WANT THIS I WANT THAT! WHERE IS IT!? COME ON GUYS LET'S GET THIS THING GOING! BUT I DON'T WANT TO DO ANY WORK!!!

OK, sorry for this angry post, it will never happen again hopefully maybe not ok bye.

Gabe said the Hydra kind of sucked so I don't think a freelance mod group could do it better. And I trust the dude's judgement. I imagine the things they removed were to make the game BETTER. They didn't just say, "What if we just randomly take cool things out of the game to the angst of our fans! BWAHAHAHAHA!"

Well i am in plannign of a singleplayer mod, and its going to include the Hydra with a different approach to its AI...so mayeb you should wait...unless we cant get the AI working...so we'll see.

good, I will help you with the sounds.
How about this for its opening speech: "I am the almighty Hydra, you killed my father, prepare to die..."

If valve couldn't do it properly, what makes you think we (the community) can?

I really don't know where you will find the model.. You can't use the one from the leak so...

Combine Hybrid: Where did you get that idea from...

Hehe...in the hl2 art book, a valve programmer said it took them 6 months to alone code the AI for the hydra.....they said it was really cool, but didnt work gameplay wise, it was cool to watch, but they said in playtest its wasnt fun to fight, it would come from behind, grab you, and you couldnt see it.

in garrysmod you can create a chain of manhacks with the pistol.

The effect is a long chain of manhacks that seem to work together, when they are not wrapping themselves around enemies they wave around threateningly. It looks nothing like a hydra. But its a good place to start.

The problem with the original hydra was that valve took the wrong approach. The fun of the hydra wasn't that it was lightning fast and could kill you in one shot. That wasn't what made us go "wooow" The wow factor came from watching the combine soldier getting wipped around the air like a toy

It wouldn't be fun if the hydra just insta killed you. What would be fun is if when the hydra stabbed you, you didn't die, just took alot of damage. Once you get hit by the hydra, it should get you stuck to it and swung around like crazy and your health gets drained. The only way to bust out would be to keep smacking it with the crowbar to make it let you go.

i believe that somewhere i read that the guy i charge of the hydra was going to try to rethink its AI and hopefully get it into HL3. I personally think that they should do something like the 3 headed green smashy things from HL1. They can still have the cool scenes with the combine, but as the player, you have to avoid it, and eventually kill it with somepart of the envirment

I tried compiling the hydra code but as everyone else has said, it didnt do anything without the model. It just sat there as a big red error, doing nothing.

Ok, I'll just take one now.. it's nothing particularly interesting though. It doesnt do anything and you can't damage it. It looks like the ai loads though, because the developer messages said it was thinking.

Attachments

• sdk_cubemaps0000.jpg
    sdk_cubemaps0000.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 393
  • sdk_cubemaps0001.jpg
    sdk_cubemaps0001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 339
  • sdk_cubemaps0003.jpg
    sdk_cubemaps0003.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 357
What I don't get is, why they didn't try changing how the Hydra attacks?

If it were me, I would have had the hydra swipe at you. You could dodge the attack by jumping, and if you didn't it would send you flying like the Antlion Guard's charge attack. It would still look cool, and it would remove the "doing something vague, and then you die" problem.

It could be a boss, or a standard enemy in most large bodies of water.

When you first encounter one, it tries to stab at you like it does with combine guards, but a spark comes off your suit and you hear a "Plink" and it can't kill you. Then you realise "OMFG HEV SUIT" And so it just slaps you around like an antlion guard.

A stretch, but I was thinking the only way to kill it is to go in the water, where it resides. Outside it's tough, but inside, what is it going to do? Kill you with pressure? Well, maybe it can slowly take away health, kind of like you're losing oxygen. You slowly die as you're inside so you must kill the nucleus quick. Inside you can see a nucleus or whatever (since, if you look at screenies of it, etc, you'll see "SOMETHING" inside it) and you kill it with a crowbar.

IDK it could work. Especially in that part of Nova Prospekt where the water is electrified. Instead of that being electrified water, it could just be a hydra.

hungryduck said:
Hehe...in the hl2 art book, a valve programmer said it took them 6 months to alone code the AI for the hydra.....they said it was really cool, but didnt work gameplay wise, it was cool to watch, but they said in playtest its wasnt fun to fight, it would come from behind, grab you, and you couldnt see it.

Cant they just release like, a directors cut? Where you can just PLAY it? I WANT to fight the hydra, I WANT to fight the combine ninja chicks (fast zombie ai, i know, but i want the ninjas), and I want to fight any other cool things they scrapped for the game. The stuff was near done, if not already done. It wouldnt matter if the levels were out of context either

Kaboomenstein said:
Cant they just release like, a directors cut? Where you can just PLAY it? I WANT to fight the hydra, I WANT to fight the combine ninja chicks (fast zombie ai, i know, but i want the ninjas), and I want to fight any other cool things they scrapped for the game. The stuff was near done, if not already done. It wouldnt matter if the levels were out of context either

They will probly save most of it,if they can find a way to work them in for an Expansion Pack(Replace with cool-sounding Steam-esque name)
Remember nothing in this world is free.

Oh and before you say "It was ment to be in the Game anyway" remember this is their work of art,Would you demand Van Gough(Sic?) to stick in a bunch of Yammering clowns into "The Scream" to further portray is insanity?

they are people actively working on all sorts of crazyness with the hydra but they could never release it because it'd be illegal! simple as.

No.. The source was included with the SDK, so unless they did something like take models from the leak, it would be perfectly legal. Unless they have actually taken models from the leak...

f0rked said:
Ok, I'll just take one now.. it's nothing particularly interesting though. It doesnt do anything and you can't damage it. It looks like the ai loads though, because the developer messages said it was thinking.

lmfao at them screenshots, pld Valve :p
And i dont think The Scream was Van Gogh.

In hammer, from the SDK, there's two textures... hydragutbeam and hydragutbeamcap ... hmm

Goethe said:
oh well, I thought the hydra was in the 'leak' so the programmer could start from there.

yeah sure.... "this is my mod hydra stolen from the illegal leaked version of HL2 !! this is my email and phone number if you have any suggestions and comments."
-a few weeks later-
breach bang and clear.... go go go, you are under arrest !!

IIRC the models from the leak are MDL v18, wheras the final models are MDL v19.

No-one has written a converter yet, it might not even be possible.

v1p3r said:
IIRC the models from the leak are MDL v18, wheras the final models are MDL v19.

No-one has written a converter yet, it might not even be possible.

I'm curious how you got this infomation...I really would like to play the leak just to know what I missed and how it was before, but until Vavle says it's alright(which will probably be never), I will just sit here

Back