hydra still in hl2?

Dr0ndeh

Reaction score
remember back in the glory days of e3 2003, there was a bink (i think its the one called 'tunnels') where at the end, a hydra rises up and stabs a combine, much to the surprise of alyx :)

afaik, this is the last weve ever heard of the hydra. no mention from the valve visitors, no mention from the reviewers, no sight of them in the new screenshots. do you think one of the many changes made in the last year-and-a-half has been to remove the hydra? if this seems unlikely, just think of all the xen aliens that didnt make it into the final version of hl1.

if they have it'd be a shame, cos they looked like a real nasty peice-o-work, just like the tenticles from hl1.

Why would they take it out? They've shown us it in action, that's enough. :) Just because they haven't shown it again doesn't mean they took it out.

There are probably many enemies that haven't been mentioned, and maybe the reviewers just didn't think to mention the hydra. Maybe it's a big spoilerish thing.

Before the reviews you probably could've said the same for the Combine Gunship.

KagePrototype said:
Why would they take it out? They've shown us it in action, that's enough. :) Just because they haven't shown it again doesn't mean they took it out.

perhaps it just didnt fit in with the 'feel' of the other creatures, or maybe they trimmed all hydra sections out of the game. the possibilities are endless.

Well, I certainly hope they didn't take it out, it looks like a great enemy. In fact I very much doubt it.

what the ****. of course they didnt take it out. its one of the main elements of the game. the first actual screenshot of hl2 i ever saw included hydra. this thing made everyone go "WOW" :O . there is no way they removed it.

HumaNoiD said:
what the ****. of course they didnt take it out. its one of the main elements of the game. the first actual screenshot of hl2 i ever saw included hydra. this thing made everyone go "WOW" :O . there is no way they removed it.

they removed 4 or 5 creatures along the way in hl1, and alot has happened since the summer of 2003.

Um...this has probably been discussed, but in the original "trailer" that was released, with the hydra at the end, there was an OICW type weapon. I can't remember if Valve confirmed its removal or replacement. Anyone know?

Dr0ndeh said:
they removed 4 or 5 creatures along the way in hl1, and alot has happened since the summer of 2003.
they removed the toad from hl1. who cares about toads.

HumaNoiD said:
they removed the toad from hl1. who cares about toads.

if i hunted around, i could get at least 5 pictures of monsters that didnt make it into hl1. there was the purple dog sized monster, with one eye. there was a flesh coloured monster with 2 spikey arms at the front, that kinda looked like a mix between a human and a houndeye.

and they removed the toad.

Dr0ndeh said:
if i hunted around, i could get at least 5 pictures of monsters that didnt make it into hl1. there was the purple dog sized monster, with one eye. there was a flesh coloured monster with 2 spikey arms at the front, that kinda looked like a mix between a human and a houndeye.

and they removed the toad.

Don't forget that huge thing with telescopic jaws. That looked class.

They've removed quite a few things, including the Hydra :O It should appear in Half-Life 3 though.

Munro said:
They've removed quite a few things, including the Hydra :O It should appear in Half-Life 3 though.

is that true? where'd you hear that?

actually, i think munro DOES know more than us, the hydra has been removed from the 'enemies' page on hl2.net, and a new 'combine elite' pic has been placed in there.

R.I.P hydra :(:(:(

Hmm... I'm doubt it's been removed.

Very well could have been, but I have my reasons for doubting that.

Dr0ndeh said:
actually, i think munro DOES know more than us, the hydra has been removed from the 'enemies' page on hl2.net, and a new 'combine elite' pic has been placed in there.

Well there's no doubt he knows more than us, but that :O face...

what!! valve said themselves one of the biggest reactions from the public was how cool the hydra looked. Theyre in the stolen build they better be in the final game!!

hmmmmmmm, maybe they did cut back on some content... damn it :\

Dem0nEgg said:
hmmmmmmm, maybe they did cut back on some content... damn it :\

That's a standard thing that every developer does. Maybe the Hydra wasn't working out.

It definately wasn't "To release the game on time".

Wow, the hydra was one of the first enemies I ever saw of HL2...that combine dudes body was classic...

Think of it this way. Perhaps (and this is likely) they replaced it with something similar but better....so it would be a surprise. It's a shame, as I thought the hydra was interesting, but maybe it was for the best.

The Hydra confused me, you saw that bluey tenticle, but i was always interested to see what the main body of it was, it'd have been a pleasure to have battled one :(

obviously inspired from jap anime...or shld i say hentai? :E

i just envisioned Alyx yelling "Yamate!" *cold shower*

Chubby is AFAIK still a model with the game, it just isn't part of the Single Player maps :p

Well I just want everyone to know the sounds and materials and models GCF's don't have ALL the models, sounds, or materials that are going to be in the final game...

mattgirv said:
Chubby is AFAIK still a model with the game, it just isn't part of the Single Player maps :p

There are a number of models in the Pak files that didn't make it into the game. They didn't just delete these models, they cut them from the game.

Cut stuff from the game is something that Valve is good at. Normally developers are too attached to stuff, so they don't cut it even if it doesn't work.

Back