I am going to Hawaii for a week...any ideas for fun??

Reaction score
So I will be in Hawaii for a week and I am wondering what sort of fun things there are to do there. I'll be on Oahu and Kauai. I am thinking in terms of the best secluded beaches, rainforest hikes, waterfalls, import videogame shops, bars, etc. Anyone have any ideas from personal experience?

Sinkoman? :E

I like to visit Sinkoman's house whenever I'm around. Steal his wine, etc..

See the local lava river. I'm not sure on which one of the islands that's on.

I saw him when I visited America for a week, he was yelling at his kid.

Hardcore. <3

visit the LOST TV SHOW area, and speak with the actors :) post some pics

First off, are you going with friends or family? How old are you?

EDIT: I've been to Oahu twice and Maui once. Saw the Polynesian Cultural Center, Pearl Harbor a couple times each. I don't know of any secluded beaches or good hiking trails a good guide book won't be able to trump.

One thing you will notice:

There are ABC Stores EVERYWHERE. They pop up like every block and that's not really an exaggeration.

Try to find a place to parasail or skydive. I only found a place when I was there to parasail up 800ft (~240m?) and I would've had some amazing pictures (it was sunset) but the disposable camera was a piece of shit and the film got semi-exposed before I could get them developed.

Sounds like fun, untill the Typhoon comes and destroys it...... scary huh?

But really, you should go surfing or somthing. Or stay in a hotel with free web access, and play HL2 15x in a row.

Nice. These are all great ideas. Thanks! But keep 'em coming! :D

I have been snorkeling in the Caribbean many times and love it each and every time, so it will be interesting to see how it differs in the middle of the Pacific.

I am plenty old enough to drink and rent watercraft/streetcraft, so I might look into scooter( or zodiac or jetski) rental--that kind of things never gets old on whatever island you're on.

And if one of their main agricultural yields is sugar cane, then the rum must be outstanding! Gotta look into that...:cheers:

Surf.

What island is you going to?

There are allot of good trail riding spots, if you're into motocross. On Oahu, there's a couple of spots in Mililani (dunno, the cops might have shut those down though), there's a bunch in Kahuku, and a few on the windward side (forget where they were though).

VictimOfScience said:
And if one of their main agricultural yields is sugar cane, then the rum must be outstanding! Gotta look into that...:cheers:

Well, they shut down most, if not all of the sugar cane fields about five years or so back. Sad really, but the big sugar cane companies felt that they could make more money with ventures on the mainland, so they sold most of the fields to coffee and pineapple companies.

Don't the beaches of one part of the Hawaiian Islands have black sand from volcanic lava hardening over time? That would be neat.

joule said:
Don't the beaches of one part of the Hawaiian Islands have black sand from volcanic lava hardening over time? That would be neat.

Cromwells in Hawaii Kai has some black sand.

Not all the time, but it shows up every so often.

Lots of it at diamondhead too, seeing as it's a volcano.

I've been to hawaii and youre definately going to have fun no matter WHAT you do. that place is beyond beautiful.

go surfing... if you dont know how, you can learn from guys that sell lessons right off the beachside (remember to haggle with their prices, it works). hawaii has GREAT waves for surfing, and for beginners.

go snorkeling. especially off a boat, and youll see the most amazing fish and huge ass turtles as big as you.

go hiking, but i dont think thats best in hawaii... never done it though so who knows.

oh and WEAR SUNSCREEN! last thing you want is to get lazy and not wear any, and then spend DAYS missing out on fun inside while youre healing (or worse in the hospital with burns).

tehsolace said:
oh and WEAR SUNSCREEN! last thing you want is to get lazy and not wear any, and then spend DAYS missing out on fun inside while youre healing (or worse in the hospital with burns).

WOW. You guys must be REALLY white.

Going to the hospital, or staying inside, just because of sunburns? Hell, I get burned all the time. I almost NEVER wear sunscreen. When I do get burned, I just peel for maybe a week, and get a bit whiter.

Hospital? WOW. D:

sinkoman said:
WOW. You guys must be REALLY white.

Going to the hospital, or staying inside, just because of sunburns? Hell, I get burned all the time. I almost NEVER wear sunscreen. When I do get burned, I just peel for maybe a week, and get a bit whiter.

Hospital? WOW. D:

have you ever been to hawaii? trust me... if youre any sort of white, with no tan (because assumingly you spent the whole year sitting inside at work and youre at hawaii on vacation), and you spend all day outside at hawaii without sunscreen on, you can get real burned and, yes, sometimes even end up in the hospital. my dad works in a major hospital in hawaii 3 months a year and sees it alot

tehsolace said:
have you ever been to hawaii? trust me... if youre any sort of white, with no tan (because assumingly you spent the whole year sitting inside at work and youre at hawaii on vacation), and you spend all day outside at hawaii without sunscreen on, you can get real burned and, yes, sometimes even end up in the hospital. my dad works in a major hospital in hawaii 3 months a year and sees it alot
*Looks at sink's location*

:LOL:

I'm going to Univesity of Hawaii in the fall, pretty excited. Never been to hawaii before.

Hmm ... you're going to the land of grass skirts and coconut bikinis and you want to know how to have fun?!

Wear a grass skirt and coconut bikini, duh!

It doesn't matter. You'll wind up spending the entire week in an interent cafe discussing TF2 here.

tehsolace said:

I feel bad for you whities :(

sinkoman... my family might be going to Maui next week. I'm totally into motocross and I wanna know if there's any legal trail riding on Maui. Also, I obviously can't bring my bike with me, so can I rent one there? I don't really care to ride any of the tracks because I have those here. There was a thing on Kauai called "Moto Hawaii" that rented bikes and all that, but they got into legal troubles with environmentalists and had to shut down. Let me know, I'd appreciate it.

I'm extremely white, but I neither tan nor burn. I spent a week working outside in Mexico (so sunblock) and didn't even get darker.

Also, Cocks.

VictimOfScience said:
So I will be in Hawaii for a week and I am wondering what sort of fun things there are to do there. I'll be on Oahu and Kauai. I am thinking in terms of the best secluded beaches, rainforest hikes, waterfalls, import videogame shops, bars, etc.
Nice! I'd love to go to Hawaii. Would be a lot of fun. :D
sinkoman said:
I feel bad for you whities :(
My brother get's sunburns a lot. His skin is more white so he can get burned pretty bad. :LOL: I never wear sunscreen though since I generally tan instead of get sunburned (I do limit how long I'm out). I go to florida and arizona often but I'm not sure how hot the sun is in Hawaii. If I get a sun burn it's hard to tell anyways.

surf pipeline. j/k unless you've surfed before. at least go see it.

Adidajs said:
surf pipeline. j/k unless you've surfed before. at least go see it.

Yes, why not go swimming on sunset beach while we're at it?

Dying is fun, yes?

@MOTO-X_Pat: Sorry, can't help you there. The only time i've been to maui, was for a wrestling invitationals.

On dirtbike rentals though, it shouldn't be too hard to find a rental spot locally. Check the phonebooks.

I'm sure that if you got on the good side of a dealer, he could let you use a used bike for a few weeks.

I'm going to Univesity of Hawaii in the fall, pretty excited. Never been to hawaii before.

Nice! Look for any class with Lee Siegel--he's a magician as well as a Religion professor. He's spent time in India with Penn and Teller and street magicians over there(there's a documentary). The guy is nuts and an awesomely nice fellow.

So I just got back from my trip and I must say that it was completely terrific!

We did a ton, but there is still so much more that I want to do when I go back!

No surfing though I would like to try. Skateboarding is my thing, so I like to think I would be good at surfing too, but there's likely quite a different balance issue involved. We hiked a bunch and went to a ton of beaches for sunbathing/snorkeling. Shopping/eating in Waikiki was awesome too. We got an incredible tour of the Navy's Pacific Command operations out there (I have good connections), along with a guided tour of the USS Louisville (a nuclear attack sub). Very cool (and scary) to touch $2 million torpedoes. It was also the first sub to launch Tomahawks from under the (Red) sea across the Arabian Pennisula into Iraq in the first Gulf War. We also went to Lee Ho Fook's in Chinatown in Honolulu because the name is mentioned in Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London which we thought was pretty funny (even though its not in Soho). I can't believe I didn't see any videogame shops the whole time I was on Oahu/Kauai. They must be there, but I saw 0. There were a bunch of cool import DVD shops in Chinatown, but that was about it. Man, the p0rn they had looked pretty outrageous and definitely very foreign from what you might see in the states!

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! Next time I want to make sure I take a Zodiac tour of at least one island (hopefully Kauai), rent an ATV, check out the Road to Hana, hike in a volcano, and take a helicopter tour of one of the islands (among other things). This stuff is pretty pricey, so I didn't do it this time. Now I know what I have to save up for. Good times...:cheers:

Gameshops = in the malls.

They just opened one up near my house though, so I don't need to get a ride into town every time I need my gaming fix :)

Glad to see you had fun! Did you see RimPac practicing at Bellows? The LCAC was pretty cool!

Back