I don't like the tone of voice some characters use to address Dr. Freeman

G

Goethe

Take for instance the beginning of Highway 17. If you don't get in the car the woman in the loudspeakers will talk to you in a very nasty tone of voice asking you to get in the car. Umm, wait a second, this is the almighty Dr. Freeman you are talking to, you don't talk to him that way!!!

Barney also seems to have an attitude problem telling Gordon what to do and what not to do, if I was Gordon I would have slashed all those bastards for being so damn disrespectful!!!
Gordon is not their mother, he is the man who will save humanity and must be treated accordingly!

Well hes disappeared for lots of years, they are trying to help him out! and those people dont know who the hell Dr Freeman is.

There's also a sentence "You're not the man I thought you'd be".

It doesn't matter if they know who Gordon Freeman is our not. He will eventually stick a crowbar in between their eyes.

PvtRyan said:
There's also a sentence "You're not the man I thought you'd be".

That refers to something else if you know what I mean hehe

I don't like the medic that gets bossy with you if you don't go to the cliff right away after you beat the gunship at the lighthouse.

Janzar said:
That refers to something else if you know what I mean hehe

It comes in a female as well as a male version :p

If they didn't say those things there would be alot more people asking where to go next.

"HEAD TOWARD THE STATUE OF THE HORSE FREEMAN!"
How many people came here and asked where to go next after that?

haha i dunno if you meant that sarcastically, but that was the only bit where i had to ask for help here. I remeber him saying it once, but then i spent AGES in that building trying to work out where it was, and by the end i forgot about the horse. :D:D

Have you ever noclipped to see the ass controlling that crane? She's so mean, i figured i'd noclip up there and spawn some zombies to pwn her. So when i get up there, i realise she isn't even touching the levers. And worse than that, she's sitting there smiling with her legs crossed!! Look.

Attachments

• d2_coast_010009.jpg
    d2_coast_010009.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 545
Goethe said:
Take for instance the beginning of Highway 17. If you don't get in the car the woman in the loudspeakers will talk to you in a very nasty tone of voice asking you to get in the car. Umm, wait a second, this is the almighty Dr. Freeman you are talking to, you don't talk to him that way!!!

Barney also seems to have an attitude problem telling Gordon what to do and what not to do, if I was Gordon I would have slashed all those bastards for being so damn disrespectful!!!
Gordon is not their mother, he is the man who will save humanity and must be treated accordingly!

Tell me.... why make stupid senseless topics? :angel:

DreadLord1337 said:
Have you ever noclipped to see the ass controlling that crane? She's so mean, i figured i'd noclip up there and spawn some zombies to pwn her. So when i get up there, i realise she isn't even touching the levers. And worse than that, she's sitting there smiling with her legs crossed!! Look.

fake, garymod?

There's also a point where there are two Vortigaunts talking in their own language.

One of them then says "Freeman must excuse us. It is rude of us to commune by flux shifting in front of those whose vortal inputs are impaired ... Yes - we will vocalize in your auditory language as a matter of courtesy ... Unless we wish to say unflattering things about you."

Then the cheeky bugger starts flux shifting ;|

Deleted some posts here...

Janzar, that's the last time you make a comment like that on these forums. Understood?

Chris_D said:
Deleted some posts here...

Janzar, that's the last time you make a comment like that on these forums. Understood?

ROGER THAT

ye i think we should be allowed to go no why dont you do it instead. Id rather get a seat somewer and let someone else save the world these people are so needy what do i gordon freeman care?

Heck I wanted to just shoot them all for getting in my damn way all the time!!!! :rolleyes: Can't you see I don't know where teh hell I am going, so stay away from me!!!!!! :hmph:

And yeah, I couldn't find my way to the darn horse either.....that whole building just looked the same to me :eek: I was running around in freakin circles launching rockets at the CP's untill I finally got out and even then I didn't "see" the horse :rolleyes: :D

about the deleted post: did Jazar say something nasty about me? :flame:

I hope not :stare:

No, he got into a childish arguments which was resolved by calling each other silly offensive names.

Yeah that woman in the crane ticked me off, she dropped the buggy then goes, "hurry up and flip the buggy and get out of here!" or something like that

I took her "hurry up and flip the buggy comment" as a sort of "omg what is taking you so long? you're going to get to ripped to peices by those antlions if you dont hurry up and it's not like our machine gunners have infinite ammo or something!!!"

But then again it that's probably because I had run in circles around the buggy a fighting off antlions while I waited for the crane driver to put the buggy upright for me... It hadn't occured to me to do it myself with the grav gun...

Though to be fair, I think everyone rushing you about was an attempt to both hide the linearity of the game "he can't explore if he's in a hurry!", and to give the g-man's final speech a bit more impact.... What he says there at the end wouldn't have had much meaning if you had been able to wander around at your own leisure and spend weeks of ingame time just pottering about and having fun...

open the console and type "bind q ent_remove". Close the console, look at the crane and press q. The crane isn't there anymore, but the woman keeps speaking!

i am glad someone has brought this up as a post.

i found this also.

characters in the original game dont say sily things like in hl2. in the original there are many parts where u use just your own initiative and skill to do things and characters dont bother and nag u like they do in hl2.

i suppose its the same reason as many other deviations from the original style. selling to a bigger and younger age group.

Logically, someone would shout at you if they saw you standing still in an alien infested area. Like the NPC did.

Logically, they would not talk to you in a soothing calm voice, telling you to carefully try to leave the area while 10 antlions are furiously ripping your ass apart.

I guess some *cough*moggy*cough* would prefer it if the NPC's just stared at you, not saying anything or reacting in any way to the events taking place infront of them. I'm glad Valve didn't listen to those people. :naughty:

they tell u to do those things yes

but at othertimes they bark at u like as if u are a three year old or something.

in the original hl the characters did shout stuff at u but did not nag all the time. u were left to use your own brain or get killed by industrial death.

moggy said:

but at othertimes they bark at u like as if u are a three year old or something.
like when?

The crane thing? You don't think the sentence "Hurry up, flip the car, and get out of here" makes sense in the situation they were in? She obviously didn't want Freeman to die, so she shouted at him to get his ass away from there.

You're not a god, they don't worship you in the game, and they don't have to respectfully treat you as somekind of lord throughout the game. That's just retarded. Also, they only repeat themselves if you are actually stupid enough not to listen to their advice in the first place. Which is natural. People do that in real life. It's realistic.

moggy said:

in the original hl the characters did shout stuff at u but did not nag all the time. u were left to use your own brain or get killed by industrial death.
Conveying emotion- could you stay calm in the middle of a war-torn, alien infested city where death lurks every corner?

What really anoys me is when squad mates tell me to reload all the time.

We only get a squad when we're 3/4 of the way through the game, by which time we've battled through the hell holes of Ravenholm and Nova Prospekt without someone having to tell us to reload our gun.

Here's an idea: Pay more attention to the enemy and less to the number of bullets I have left. :rolling:

Goethe said:
open the console and type "bind q ent_remove". Close the console, look at the crane and press q. The crane isn't there anymore, but the woman keeps speaking!
Or, even better, start her on fire using an ent_fire, ent_ignite command. When you do she goes through every animation that is made for her. Or maybe she just goes crazy, idk

Chris_D said:
There's also a point where there are two Vortigaunts talking in their own language.

One of them then says "Freeman must excuse us. It is rude of us to commune by flux shifting in front of those whose vortal inputs are impaired ... Yes - we will vocalize in your auditory language as a matter of courtesy ... Unless we wish to say unflattering things about you."

Then the cheeky bugger starts flux shifting ;|

when i got to that part...i thought it was a bit snotty and funny at the same time.
hmm...tho i do agree generally here...Gordon doesn't get the respect he deserves.. IMHO anyway.

Nags are there to get you to follow the plot. If you act stupid you get some nagging. If you follow what you're told you get respect.

I had fun trying to NOT do what they tell me to. Like when they tell you to get into HEV suit. EVERYONE is nagging and telling you to get the suit, Alyx, Barney, and dr Kleiner.

Also there are attitudes that NPCs have. Some are angry, some are scared and some normal, so they act accordingly to their attitudes.

moggy said:
i am glad someone has brought this up as a post.

i found this also.

characters in the original game dont say sily things like in hl2. in the original there are many parts where u use just your own initiative and skill to do things and characters dont bother and nag u like they do in hl2.

i suppose its the same reason as many other deviations from the original style. selling to a bigger and younger age group.

They yell at you because they have been through years of torment. They just want you to hurry the hell up!

Hurry the hell up and destroy the citadel, which will then fall on the city below, likely destroying huge swathes of it? And who knows what the dark matter explosion will do? And of course, destroying this 1 citadel is hardly going to set Earth, or even City 17, free of the combine.

"Hey freeman, reload!" "dont forget to reload!" "gordon, reload!"
i dont know why in the HELL valve decided that was important.
in half-life 3 they will have squadmates yelling things such as:
"hey gordon! shoot aliens!"

They are trying to help you. They CARE about you you sensless n00bs. :rolleyes:

m00b said:
They are trying to help you. They CARE about you you sensless n00bs. :rolleyes:

If we were only able to kill the teammates :(

BUUUT, i just made em follow me and blocked em so they were in mid fire of snipers so they got owned

CreamOfetus said:
"Hey freeman, reload!" "dont forget to reload!" "gordon, reload!"
i dont know why in the HELL valve decided that was important.
in half-life 3 they will have squadmates yelling things such as:
"hey gordon! shoot aliens!"

Raising the Bar has a part about an Over Zealous teammate during testing.
He just kept shouting "Come on" "Let's go!" even when you followed him closely.

yeah... the people should be thankful that Gordon is helping them and risking his life for the sake of others...

Back