i talked to a ati rep at game stars live,and got a good date on hl2.

Zeus said:
It better not come out 9/30, rather have it come out the day after because that is just an insult to hl2 fans.

Gabe as of last years E3- HL2 will be coming out 9/30/03
Gabe now- HL2 will be coming out 9/30/04

Gabe never said the game will be coming out on 9-30-04 either.

I'm focusing on November, but i'm really hoping for September :O

B_MAN said:
they said summer 2004
it will be september :p
Dont believe everything you hear...especially from valve.

But im really hoping for a september release. If not...well im getting SW:Battlegrounds to hold me over.

Oh, well it's been confirmed Team Fortress 2 will be released shortly after HL2 ;)

tokin said:
Oh, well it's been confirmed Team Fortress 2 will be released shortly after HL2 ;)

Uhh, just about as 'confirmed' that HL2 was going to be out this 'summer.'

:rolling:

I allso think halflife 2 will be released this month. Like I said many times before I think that Valve is keeping their promise.

I too hope it comes out this month, but who knows. I would like to point out though that everyone seems bent on either september or november. There are only a few who think October. Yes October, the month that comes between September and November. If it doesnt come out this month Im putting my money on early or mid-October

if its comin out on the 30th ... they better get on the ball and make it gold soon :sleep:

Don't believe anyone. Valve (the company that made the game!) said last year at September. They do it to generate hype.

i just asked my mom. she said the game will be out soon!
SO ITS CONFIRMED
shut up now
i will...ok....im going now...

for real this time....ok...im done...
THE GMAN IS WATCHING :<

i will believe it when i see it

i will believe this when i see a date released by valve, and when i see the game on the shelves

I just spoke to a guy named Fred sitting on the street. He also said before the month is up!!

Fred is a reliable source!!!

Mr-Fusion thanks. really, that means alot to me! ITS CONFIRMED THEN!

Intersting that The staff here didn't move or close this thread!

It's not unusual for them to immediately close release date speculation threads so it is notable that this one has stayed open for so long. Perhaps they think it has some merit since it is not based on the usual sources (i.e. retailers).

It's not unusual for them to immediately close release date speculation threads so it is notable that this one has stayed open for so long.

that exactly my point. I've read many "I've met cerain people threads and rumors to find them clos after a few minutes. LEt's hope there is some reliable news on the matter.

I asked my brother yesterday when he thought the game would come out, and he said he wasn't sure. Then he asked me when I thought it was coming and I said hopefully by October. So we settled on that month, and 5 being my favorite number I decided that the game is coming out on October 5. So I asked my brother who went through a similar process overnight and he came up with the date of October 45, since 45 is his favorite number. No no, I haven't gone crazy. The moral to the tale is that you shouldn't make threads on a release date that isn't official, 'cause noone knows of the date except Valve and VU.

I have been lurking here for way too long with nothing to say, but now I have a question I haven't seen addressed yet. Though I do hope beyond mere hope that HL2 will come out at the end of this month, I still wonder if the fact that HL Source isn't anywhere near completion, (from what I have heard anyways,) that a Nov. release of HL2 isn't more likely. Perhaps they are waiting for HL Source to be finished so they can package a fully tested version along with HL2 for the Collector's Edition, and the "basic version" might be held back so it and the Collector's edition can be released at the same time? I appologise if this has been addressed before.

HL Source isn't shipping with HL2, at least to my knowledge.

I hope vivendi doesn't say it'll release in november. Because then we'll have to wait till at least january, right? If vivendi believes it'll come out in november, I hope they say it'll come out on sept. 30th, which taking that date, and applying the 'vivendi effect' to it, should come out to sometime before christmas. Christmas of this year? I don't know. Might be next year...

BTW: when was the last HL2 date that was met? I can't remember one... preload was late.. that's what comes to mind out of recent HL2 events...

it will be the end of september
just like it was last year
just wait and see

matthewryanc said:
I hope vivendi doesn't say it'll release in november. Because then we'll have to wait till at least january, right? If vivendi believes it'll come out in november, I hope they say it'll come out on sept. 30th, which taking that date, and applying the 'vivendi effect' to it, should come out to sometime before christmas. Christmas of this year? I don't know. Might be next year...

BTW: when was the last HL2 date that was met? I can't remember one... preload was late.. that's what comes to mind out of recent HL2 events...

I dont think vivendi would hold such a high profile game such as HL2 under its belt for 3 months. that would be ****ing stupid.

rottenchild said:
I have been lurking here for way too long with nothing to say, but now I have a question I haven't seen addressed yet. Though I do hope beyond mere hope that HL2 will come out at the end of this month, I still wonder if the fact that HL Source isn't anywhere near completion, (from what I have heard anyways,) that a Nov. release of HL2 isn't more likely. Perhaps they are waiting for HL Source to be finished so they can package a fully tested version along with HL2 for the Collector's Edition, and the "basic version" might be held back so it and the Collector's edition can be released at the same time? I appologise if this has been addressed before.

I didn't think that they would spend a whole lot of time on HL:S, just porting it to the source engine but not upgrading textures or models like in CS:S. Once the bugs are mostly removed from the Source engine through the CS:S beta, I'm sure they will be ready for release.

I think you'll find that HL:Source was done a while ago. They just ran a conversion pass on the maps, did some very quick and dirty QA, and called it a day.

No new textures (just 32-bit versions of the originals), no new maps, no new models.

Sparta said:
I dont think vivendi would hold such a high profile game such as HL2 under its belt for 3 months. that would be ****ing stupid.

What I said was in jest of vivendi and their policy on meeting deadlines as being... laughable. I agree, that given the current situation, the game should be out soon, but given their previous history, if they say it will be out by a certain time, then it undoubtably means that it will NOT be out by that time. Hence the previous post.

Sparta said:
I think you mean VALVE not Vivendi
By their association, I really mean both companies. I concede that the majority of dates given have been from valve, but vivendi's dates (christmas of last year comes to mind) are also largely false, albeit more realistic than valve.

Uhhh no not really. Vivendi's dates coincide with what Valve tells them

|LGW|Mith said:
i'm thinking hl2 will ship early-mid october. Sept 30th is possible though if the game goes gold within the next several days. Vivendi will need time to make copies, etc, especially for a game thats destined to sell like hell. :thumbs:

but still, this doesnt mean a guaranteed sept. 30th release. We can only hope.

I'm betting we'll be thinking about our upcoming halloween costumes when we get HL2. Then after we get HL2, we'll change our mind for halloween and dress as a combine or something.

Look man, I don't mean to have a go, but you have you know as much about the release date as anyone else, so saying that your thinking about an october release doesn't rely help us, because that is pure estimation. Please don't take it the wrong way, but you don't know when it's going to be released.

I wish valve would pull their finger out of their **** This is starting to do my nut. I want HL2 before I go to uni, otherwise I will fail my first year!

I think people don't understand that its the publisher not the developer that decides the ship date of a game.

killahsin-[CE] said:
I think people don't understand that its the publisher not the developer that decides the ship date of a game.
Very few people understand this.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/painkillerexpansionpackbattleoutofhell/news_6105138.html

Painkillers expansion has been pushed back to November 10th.

"In a statement, DreamCatcher said the extra time will give the publisher a longer runway to promote the game to the media. Developer People Can Fly will also use the time to add additional gameplay features."
That sounds suspicious to me. I'd say Dreamcatcher is dictating terms for the developer. You don't go adding gameplay feature with a couple of months to go. You're fixing bugs and playtesting at that point. What they're really saying is "November is much better time to make more money from sales"

I just wish Valve and Vivendi would come out and tell us their devious plans at least Dreamcatcher had the balls to.

In a lot of cases (especially with smaller developers) everything is dictated by the publisher because they provide the funding and generally own the IP rights.

This isn't the case with self-funded developers like Valve, id and Epic.

Pi Mu Rho said:
In a lot of cases (especially with smaller developers) everything is dictated by the publisher because they provide the funding and generally own the IP rights.

This isn't the case with self-funded developers like Valve, id and Epic.

...or 3D Realms :naughty:

/Ford

Back