If achievements existed back in the early days...

Saturos

Reaction score
...which ones would you be noted for?

The two I remember most:

1. I completed every story route in Contra Hard Corps (Sega Genesis). There was no difficulty setting. Difficulty in Contra HC is determined by which route you take in certain levels which lead to a more difficult path. Also, I never cheated either. A huge undertaking that took me weeks, since Contra games are so notoriously hard. You have to learn every pattern of every boss and areas of each level.

2. A perfect score of 99999 in the original Star Fox for the SNES on the hardest route. Wasn't nearly as tough as Contra HC though.

Go ahead and brag away!

Getting to and completing the secret levels in Commander Keen 1, 2, 4 and 5 perhaps.

Getting achievements for slapping an 'x' amount of chickens in Dungeon Keeper

Converting the Avatar to your side in Dungeon Keeper, twice.

I thought it only happened once.

But then I never finished the game :eek:
The first time you kill the Avatar the Gods bring him back to life to attack you again with a larger force, but Bullfrog didn't anticipate that the player might instead capture and convert him (It takes a hell of a lot of torture, you have to use the heal spell a lot) so if you succesfully assimiate him into your ranks you still get a message saying that the Gods have brought him back to life (even though he isn't dead) and you get attacked again. You can then capture the new Avatar and also convert him.

The first time you kill the Avatar the Gods bring him back to life to attack you again with a larger force, but Bullfrog didn't anticipate that the player might instead capture and convert him (It takes a hell of a lot of torture, you have to use the heal spell a lot) so if you succesfully assimiate him into your ranks you still get a message saying that the Gods have brought him back to life (even though he isn't dead) and you get attacked again. You can then capture the new Avatar and also convert him.

LOL, sounds fun. Where they on seperate levels? Because you could carry your captured avatar over to the next level, and have an avatar vs avatar fight :LOL:

Not exactly the "early days", but I was pretty proud of achieving 100% on Burnout 3. Can't remember much else worth noting... being able to get through half of Metal Slug on a single life, maybe? Reaching max level in Diablo? Blah, I didn't really get "good" at games until after they stopped being punishingly hard.

Edit - Completing Call of Duty on veteran... well, at least as far as Pavlov. Goddamnit that mission was impossible.

Edit2 - Oh, oh! In Tomb Raider II, reaching the "secret room" in Lara Croft's mansion by finding the button in her hedge maze (NOT A EUPHEMISM) and making it back out before the timer expired. At least I would've liked an achievement, because I DIDN'T GET ANYTHING ELSE FOR IT. :angry:

Original Super Mario Land for Gameboy - Completing in 15 minutes or less
Doom 1 and 2 - Getting a quadruple kill with the either of the shotguns
Morrowind (and Oblivion I guess) - 100% completion

Call of Duty 1 on Veteran...hooooly shit. And we think these current ones with health regen are hard...

New Super Mario Bros. - Getting every secret coin allowing you to unlock... the secret background! *sigh* That was a long summer.

Ikaruga - Complete it. I cried blood.

Archon - I beat the ridiculously difficult computer opponent without loosing any of my 'chess' pieces. I did it with both the Light and Dark side.

Oh man, Operation Flashpoint, with achievements...

One feat that would've deserved an achievement would've been stealing the Hind from the base in Incursion.

I did everything that could be done on Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 (& Knuckles), I sank so many hours into those games.
Also almost everything on Ecco 2. I think I managed to defeat some of the secret characters on Mortal Kombat 2 as well (except for Noob... that bastard).

I'm currently trying to complete Contra: Shattered Soldier %100.

Definately not an easy achievement. The farthest I've gotten so far is the final stage where you battle it out with the shapeshifting "relic".

You've got to complete all the other stages with an "S" rank on normal difficulty to get that far too.

Completed Far Cry on Realistic difficulty.
Now there're no opponents for me.

Star Fox 64 gold medals on all planets, got to see fox with shades because of this, woo hoo.

Rewards for perfect games sucked back then but i went for many

Playing and completing a 99 lap Monster Truck Madness race before my computer began to smoke and got fried. True story.

Completing GTA games 100%...not the hardest achievment ever but I have...all of them...im sad

Actually completing an 8 hour race in "Suzuka 8 Hours".

Call of Duty 1 on Veteran...hooooly shit. And we think these current ones with health regen are hard...

The expansion (United Offensive) was harder. Yay for clownhouses / clowncars around every corner! And then the random airplanes at the end so you couldn't stay in one place or you'd insta-die.

And the reason it was harder was because there were no buggy parts where you could hide in a corner and the enemies would ignore you. Yes, I'm looking at you CoD4 Chernobyl mission.

There should definitely be one for Deus Ex, that involves the baton. Oh my trusty baton... How I never needed another weapon, I'd simply swish away and knock all flying. This was on realistic mode as well.

Golden Eye and Perfect Dark - everything unlocked.

Oh man, Operation Flashpoint, with achievements...

One feat that would've deserved an achievement would've been stealing the Hind from the base in Incursion.

Agreed, I pulled so many devious maneuvers in that game that deserve recognition, the best was the tank busting mission with the SAS, where I snuck into a forest next to the main base and managed to sneak into a tank whereby I destroyed everything.

Other than that, completing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark fully on all difficulties, completing all of Max Payne with two pistols and a whole array of brilliant, well-thought out assaults on Hidden and Dangerous 2 that simply deserved medals for execution.

Converting the Avatar to your side in Dungeon Keeper, twice.

This.

Mine:

discipleofkanein8.png

Completed Far Cry on Realistic difficulty.
Now there're no opponents for me.

What the f*ck is wrong with you :eek:
I beat it on very hard and I was pumped!

Anyway...

beating Ocarina of Time 100%
CoD1 on Veteran
MGS3 on hard in one sitting
uhh... I dunno, I'm sure there's a great deal more than those, just cba.

Plague of laughter- Use all the snarks in HL1
Follow Suit- Accept GMan's offer in HL1

The power of the sun in the palm of my hand- Launch and successfully destroy a colony with a Nulcear Missile in Fragile Allegiance
I am the destroyer of worlds- Launch and successfully destroy a colony and the asteroid that it occupies with a destructor missile

You can't eat the Messiah - Complete the Tiberian Dawn Dino missions

CS - Just My Luck - On Dust2, frag a CT jumping past the door with an AWP within 5 seconds of the starting round.

CS - Line 'em up, Rawhide - Frag 3 with one AWP shot.

CS - Kiss the Cook - Frag 4 with one hand grenade.

Bane of Cortex- Finish Crash Bandicoot in one sitting.

Flaming Gold - Get all the treasures in Spyro the Dragon.

Agent on a Tangent - Win a 4-player multiplayer match of Goldeneye.

Papa Smurf - Get any version of the Grid Armor in Anarchy Online

Shinobi Takes All - In any MMORPG, successfully loot all the containers of a full team mission/quest/dungeon, before being kicked out of the team that is.

I Think The Real Game Just Started - Get the Lightsaber in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast.

Dinosaurs Are Supposed to be Extinct
- Kill the end boss in Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast.

Anachronism - Get the lasergun in Mortyr.

A Little Big Step for Man - Visit the moon in LBA2.

Resisting The Urge - Manage to leave Vault City without killing First Bitchizen Jeanette, even once, in Fallout 2.

Not So Toy - Finish Jet Set Radio.

Bubblegun Brat - Finish Rascal.

Dead Baron - Finish Croc: Legend of the Gobbos.

Glukkon Slayer - Finish Abe's Oddyssey and Abe's Exoddus.

I STRUCK....Silver - Steal the Silver Fletcher. (Mafia)
Gangsta Killa - Kill 10 gangsters in 1 life for $5000 in Freeride. (Mafia)
Sharp Shooter - Kill 10 cops with the Sniper. (Mafia)
Law Breaker - Drive around with wanted status and get away. (Mafia)

The only thing i can say would be clocking over 400 hours on Pokemon Gold Version. Had all the pokemon and stuff.

Yeah, lame.

In Exchange For Your Soul Get 242 stars in Super Mario Galaxy
You Will Have Nightmares Beat the purple coin star in Toy Town in Super Mario Galaxy as Luigi.

Hardly "the old days" though.

Game: American McGee's Alice

I Know The Answer - kill 50 enemies with the croquette billy
I like when something explodes - beat the Duchess
Having a nightmare is better - beat the Centipede
Never play that game again - finish the chess levels
Well...that was a good world - get the Musketon
I love kitties - before the final battle
I'm still not edible - finish the game

FUUUUUUUU- - Catch 149 Pokemon in Pokemon Red, only to have a friend start a new game and save over it.

You know who you are...

Back