*If* It is delayed, we know why..

Blair

Reaction score
http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8052
One thing I should mention that I forgot about from my tour, was that Gabe mentioned one of the top issues they were currently tackling was Geforce 2 optimization...so there's to the naysayers that think Valve sold out to ATI and don't give a flip about NVIDIA performance.

Also, he said that they were coding the game to take advantage of the new line of cards that have yet to be announced. Obviously the 9800 XT is a part of this, but I would assume Gabe was also insinuating a contribution from NVIDIA as well. Hopefully they've tackled that issue with dx 9 performance in the upcoming line of cards.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7852
The first thing I asked him was about the 30th. And people, I gotta tell ya I didn't expect him to spill the beans for me if he didn't spill them for the press. I asked: "Will you make it for release by the 30th?"

He chuckled and said "We'll see." He told me things were as hectic as ever there. I got the impression though that it'll be real close if they make the 30th. People weren't setting off fires in the hallways and ripping each other's hair out or anything, which is what I would have expected before a game is completed.

Nvidia will be the cause.. And they don't even deserve to delay a game of this caliber because of their sh***y hardware/software.

you dont know anything, nvidia sells more than the ati shit does, its just a bad time for nvidia, nvidia has always owned ati.

the issue with nvidia has been resolved

(i believe, unless they are working on it more, even though its nvidia's issue)

Originally posted by SilentKilla
you dont know anything, nvidia sells more than the ati shit does, its just a bad time for nvidia, nvidia has always owned ati.

Foolish child...

Originally posted by G·Man

Nvidia will be the cause.. And they don't even deserve to delay a game of this caliber because of their sh***y hardware/software.

Thanks for youre great post asshole. Anyway its a Geforce2 , those cards were topoftheline then , your "problem" is with FX cards. But I know youre just playing "Jump on the Band Wagon to feel cool" , so I wont worry about it.

lol. Now thats a laugh.

2 more on the Wagon , hope its strong. There was no point to either of your posts. I know the 9800P is better for now , its not pertinent to this post. ... seriously folks.

Re: Re: *If* It is delayed, we know why..

Originally posted by DimitriPopov
Thanks for youre great post asshole. Anyway its a Geforce2 , those cards were topoftheline then , your "problem" is with FX cards. But I know youre just playing "Jump on the Band Wagon to feel cool" , so I wont worry about it.

Another obvious owner of a Geforce FX hoping to justify his purchase.

Re: Re: Re: *If* It is delayed, we know why..

I dont justify my purchase , it was a bad one. Im tearing down the reasoning behind your redundant post. :)

BTW- Keep ignoring my argument of it being the Geforce2 which is
1. Old
2. Top-of-the-line in its day , should not be a problem , doesnt even run DX9 which is Nvidias only problem.

Don't read it. I'm not putting a gun to your head.

Originally posted by DimitriPopov
Nah , Have some fun , its enjoyable to win arguments.

Well I've heard this argument a zillion times before, and its always ended up to be a nvidia vs Ati flame war which goes nowhere.

:cheers:

This has nothing to do with NVidia's poor FX cards.

He's referring to optimisations for lower end systems so the games runs slightly faster. Doug Lombardi mentioned that this was one of the last things to do, along with Localisation.

It's just standard finishing up stuff.

Originally posted by MistaB
lol. Now thats a laugh.

lol, what a laugh is, is i have a 9800 pro, but ill assure you it wont be going in the slot where my ti 4600 is, because it has never given me any trouble. I have a 9800 pro in my computer next to this one, and it doesnt get used.

I bought a Radeon 9700 Pro like 7+ months ago, and it's still holding up to the latest games (I'll have to drop some fx on HL2, but that's to be expected). I was told by many die hard Nvidia fans not to get the Radeon 9700 over the G4's because the price difference wasn't worth it... yada yada. I bought this card anyway, and it's holding up extremely well, and the constant driver updates from ATI have improved my performance on many games consistantly.

I've still got a GeForce 2, and I'm sure that a lot of other people do too. I appreciate that Valve is taking us into consideration (The rest of my computer isn't so old, though :))

in a way your right despite the people flaming u. Ati has dominance (for now) in the enthusiasts market. unfortunately for ati this market is not a big one and doesnt generate significant revenue. the mass market and oem corporate deals DO generate big money, and nvidia still leads there and always has. nvidia also has over 1 billion dollars in raw capital tucked away. They play it safe and are conservative. Ati however are more aggressive and take bigger risks. 3dfx took risks also and payed dearly for it, even though their cards sold pretty well in the hardcore gaming market.

Re: Re: Re: *If* It is delayed, we know why..

hmmm 60 pound for a FX and 400 for a radeon

that justifies my purchase with extreme justifyingness......

Originally posted by Sunbeam
in a way your right despite the people flaming u. Ati has dominance (for now) in the enthusiasts market. unfortunately for ati this market is not a big one and doesnt generate significant revenue. the mass market and oem corporate deals DO generate big money, and nvidia still leads there and always has. nvidia also has over 1 billion dollars in raw capital tucked away. They play it safe and are conservative. Ati however are more aggressive and take bigger risks. 3dfx took risks also and payed dearly for it, even though their cards sold pretty well in the hardcore gaming market.

i agree, and thanks for kinda agreeing with me :p

lol, what a laugh is, is i have a 9800 pro, but ill assure you it wont be going in the slot where my ti 4600 is, because it has never given me any trouble. I have a 9800 pro in my computer next to this one, and it doesnt get used.

I got a Ti 4600 too and a 9700 and my 9700 kills it, Oh btw can you give me your 9800 pro? ill pay you 20 dollars.

Originally posted by Dougy
hmmm 60 pound for a FX and 400 for a radeon

that justifies my purchase with extreme justifyingness......

i thought an FX ("good one") was $1000 AU and a 9800 pro was $800 AU
hmmmm...

Hmmm...my general consensus from reading the recent e-mails and the recent information is that HL2 will be *extremely* close to the September 30th release date at the very most. There's no way that if a delay is a plausible outcome, that it would be for very long.

Either way you swing it, we're looking to play this game in at *most* a month, which is pretty damn good, I say!

Edit: Whoops, most, not least!!

Originally posted by Rice-Rocketeer
Hmmm...my general consensus from reading the recent e-mails and the recent information is that HL2 will be *extremely* close to the September 30th release date at the very most. There's no way that if a delay is a plausible outcome, that it would be for very long.

Either way you swing it, we're looking to play this game in at *most* a month, which is pretty damn good, I say!

Edit: Whoops, most, not least!!

i agree, i highly doubt that they miss the 30th, i, along with alot of other people here would be surprised, good job valve.

Originally posted by Gordon'sFreeman
I got a Ti 4600 too and a 9700 and my 9700 kills it, Oh btw can you give me your 9800 pro? ill pay you 20 dollars.

i thought an FX ("good one") was $1000 AU and a 9800 pro was $800 AU
hmmmm...

no :eek:

the radeon 9800pro128mg in scotland is 400 pounds

and the FX 5600ultra is just shy of 100 pounds.

sure i wont get a million frames a seconf with AA on but at least ive got an extra £300 to spend wisely if i need to upgrade instead of just upgrading before hand when it might not be necessary.

Perhaps the weak link in all of this 'release date' garbage is Steam.

Valve WANT to release HL2 over Steam, they want it to be a 'success' for themselves, and of course, make lots of money from it.

as we well know, Steam isnt the best at the moment. In fact it sucks. I downloaded Half-life 2 days ago to show a friend, and the game refused to work. These are errors which have to be solved.

In a recent e-mail i rechieved from Gabe, he stated that Valve do not control the Retail release date, only Steam.

Make of this what you will.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 3:18 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Hi Gabe

Hey Gabe,

i find your answering of emails from the public absolutely unbelievable! it truely is amazing.
may i throw in my 2 cents?

im very curious as to why you intend to release HL2 on Steam and at retail at the same time?
you know you have the biggest hit of the decade on your hands (a100% lock-in on that)

surely the Steam release would enable you to take all the money from the inital release and get you some of that sweet sweet money you poured into the development.

From Gabe:

Because some of our customers would prefer to buy it at retail.

In countries like Korea where the retail availability may lag, where the retail infrastructure is weak, and where a high percentage of homes have broadband, Steam will be a high percentage of sales. In countries like England, where the retail product will be available either simultaneously or close to the US release (we don't control those dates, only the Steam dates), the retail infrastructure is very well established, and where somewhere in the neighborhood of 2% of households have broadband, I'd expect the vast majority of sales will be at retail.

Hopefully Steam will mean that more customers around the world will have access to localized versions of the game much sooner than otherwise.

Originally posted by Dougy
no :eek:

the radeon 9800pro128mg in scotland is 400 pounds

and the FX 5600ultra is just shy of 100 pounds.

sure i wont get a million frames a seconf with AA on but at least ive got an extra £300 to spend wisely if i need to upgrade instead of just upgrading before hand when it might not be necessary.

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LMAO!!!!!
i was talking abouth the 5900ultra but still haha! thats piss cheap... i think cos $100 australian dollars is around £2.

Nvidia Controls the standalone GPU market with 50-55%
ATI tags along at 35-40% :p

Originally posted by Templar Wizard
Perhaps the weak link in all of this 'release date' garbage is Steam.

Valve WANT to release HL2 over Steam, they want it to be a 'success' for themselves, and of course, make lots of money from it.

as we well know, Steam isnt the best at the moment. In fact it sucks. I downloaded Half-life 2 days ago to show a friend, and the game refused to work. These are errors which have to be solved.

In a recent e-mail i rechieved from Gabe, he stated that Valve do not control the Retail release date, only Steam.

Make of this what you will.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 3:18 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Hi Gabe

Hey Gabe,

i find your answering of emails from the public absolutely unbelievable! it truely is amazing.
may i throw in my 2 cents?

im very curious as to why you intend to release HL2 on Steam and at retail at the same time?
you know you have the biggest hit of the decade on your hands (a100% lock-in on that)

surely the Steam release would enable you to take all the money from the inital release and get you some of that sweet sweet money you poured into the development.

From Gabe:

Because some of our customers would prefer to buy it at retail.

In countries like Korea where the retail availability may lag, where the retail infrastructure is weak, and where a high percentage of homes have broadband, Steam will be a high percentage of sales. In countries like England, where the retail product will be available either simultaneously or close to the US release (we don't control those dates, only the Steam dates), the retail infrastructure is very well established, and where somewhere in the neighborhood of 2% of households have broadband, I'd expect the vast majority of sales will be at retail.

Hopefully Steam will mean that more customers around the world will have access to localized versions of the game much sooner than otherwise.

I'm not doubting the validity of this, but why would Gabe open up like this with a blatant reference to retail release? Please use the ctrl+print screen function, go into paint, paste it, save it as jpeg, and post the pic of the e-mail on here.

...I downloaded Half-life 2 days ago to show a friend, and the game refused to work. These are errors which have to be solved.

U meant two days ago right :*( ...shucks...

dougy buy it on the interweb, tis only 250 - 300

never EVER buy gfx hardware in high street stores in the UK.

only because it is you who asked me Spit,
anyone else and i would have told them to phukk themselves:

also, i had to save it as a .gif. the jpeg was slightly too big (the forum would not let upload)
if there is a way of lowering the quality somehow to make the file smaller tell me. the quality is so that you can still read it.

Back