If you were a developer which engine would you use for your game?

If you were a developer which engine would you use for your game?

• Source (HL²)

Votes: 78 71.6%
  • Doom3 (Doom³)

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Unreal (UT2004)

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cry-tek (Far Cry)

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • X-Ray (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 6 5.5%

• Total voters
I'd say the Halo 2 engine. If they were ever release an SDK (when it comes out for PC) I'd definitely go with this one. The Halo engine even. I need code.

You know technically this is a very difficult question and really boils down to "What are you making?"

If you wanted to make a "dynamic world" then X-Ray would be a good idea. (The AI should include such things as AI falling asleep, talking to each other, eating at certain times etc)

However if you want a good solid "Do All" engine yor probably better off with Source.

blahblahblah said:
How much more realistic would a game like Rainbow Six be if it used those physics calculations?

To the best of my knowledge, in Raven Shield, the trajectory of a bullet can be affected by something like rain (I could be wrong though). Rainbow 6 games have always been quite anal in their design.

Source is pretty sweet :)

But personally I would go the smaller all MP way, using the Silverback engine. Need some minor modifications though, such as tiling terrain instead of one big square to accomodate flying vehicles.

Pendragon said:
What's the Silverback been used for?
The game that got the IGN award "Best game 2003 that no one played", lol :)

Its used for Savage. Its got nothing to put up against the Unreal Warfare engine or Source, but its... nice. Just nice. Very flexible (both a linux and windows version), excellent modability, small in size (uses regular zip compression for its data) and a very nice looking renderer. Very fast netcode too, they just rewrote the entire thing for patch 2.0, hehe.

I would use Stalker's X-ray engine because of it's long view distance and the level system. And the engine far cry uses is CRYengine btw

Far Cry. Why? Probably the easiest to catch on to and to deal with.

The reason why I chose the source engine is because i know its capabilities and it can also run on puny systems. I was going to choose the X-RAY engine, but I don't know the computer's limitations

Id go with the unreal engine.
1. Im allready familier with it.
2. I think that its just as good as any of the other engines.
3. i dont really give a flying fiddlers fart about what anyone elce thinks. :)

well seems many people here agreed that Hl2 is the engine of choice ... i have read many post for x or y reason. many because of the moddability of this or this ,others because of the Photorealism in Hl2 .i have a question .. which game engine this screenshot was done.. :)

here is a hint.. the answer is already one in the poll.. :D
wha you will see is a replica of a Cathedral in France. :)

It reminds me of that building they used to show off the Unreal2/UT2003 engine technology. I'm not sure... it has been quite a long time since I saw that video.

... or it could be the Source engine in Bloodlines (is that game set in France?).

It's not FarCry, STALKER, or Doom3.

Just tell us already.

EDIT: Hey... he said it is one of the answers on the poll... and the poll includes "other"... tricky bastard.

OCybrManO said:
It reminds me of that building they used to show off the Unreal2/UT2003 engine technology. I'm not sure... it has been quite a long time since I saw that video.

... or it could be the Source engine in Bloodlines (is that game set in France?).

It's not FarCry, STALKER, or Doom3.

Just tell us already.

EDIT: Hey... he said it is one of the answers on the poll... and the poll includes "other"... tricky bastard.

hehe.. its to early to say.. patience my friend ,you will be rewarded..but nope it not anything done By Unreal engines.. its only to show you the capabilities of some engines when you want something diferent .. like more realism .. :)

i will say the name of the engine the next time. :naughty:
here is a final shot .. :)

Btw.. it was is heavily Jpg compressed..and the gamma is lower, the originalls are like 1 meg.

It's Unreal. I recall the engine was being used to make a Virtual Notre Dame a couple of years ago.

PiMuRho said:
It's Unreal. I recall the engine was being used to make a Virtual Notre Dame a couple of years ago.

you mean this one ?

http://www.vrndproject.com/vrndfr.htm
http://www.vrndproject.com/screen.htm#

well not exactly unreal.. forgot about that one.. hehe.. thats NotreDame ,what i posted was based in Chartres Cathedral ,but yes both are in PAris.. :).

the game engine is ... Quake3.. :thumbs:

http://www.quake3bits.com/htm/maps/chartres.htm

very nice looking map , good looking reflections .you will need a powerfull system to Run this level at more than 30fps with all the eyecandy and res. to the max. i have seen very nice looking castles in QUake3 too. This only was to show you that game engines can do more that what you see in a game.

read here the following interesting articles about this..
http://www.vterrain.org/Games/other_uses.html
http://www.r-pov.com/features/engine3.html

here is quake2 engine.. :E
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/982346.stm

doesnt look like the famous (Q2DM1) The Edge map? :LOL:
does quake2 looks "realistic" to anyone? :) if at this point you already notice that you can do almost whatever you want with an engine ,iF you are a real game developer and have the skills. then you will see that you can tweak /modify or stress any engine to do things it was not originally intended to do. :thumbs:

in a real Poll with Gamedevelopers .. you will never see results you got in this Thread.since -all- latest generation engines are good enough to do almost anything .. game or professional graphics. any of those engines posted there are more than capable to do most of the things you will ever want. you just Tweak the engine for what you want to do. Physics engines can be licensed separately or can be used the ones included in some of the games. there are even -free- professional software ,to generate realistic looking Outdoors that can be imported in any game or used in any holywood movie.

http://haunter.student.utwente.nl/Terrarevolution/

and if you want more advanced Dx9 Effects,you only need to program your own. you can have nice looking Dx9 even in quake2. :) if you pick any of the games above ,and do no changes or modifications to the engine.. then your goal is not a game ,but a Mod. ;)

Brian Damage said:
Does anyone else here feel like they're being condescended to...?
yeah, not the first time neither, he drags up threads to do the same thing.. which btw Vann I don't want to see you doing again simply to increase your post count.

Yes, vann, you can modify an engine to do practically anything... but then it's not the same engine anymore. We are discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the upcoming game engines out of the box (completely unmodified). If one of the engines does exactly what you want (with no extra work) there is no reason to go back to Quake and modify it until you get an engine that has the same features... other than to prove that it can be done (which will not make your final product any better).

... and I had a feeling you were going to pull that "Other" crap.

OCybrManO said:
Yes, vann, you can modify an engine to do practically anything... but then it's not the same engine anymore. We are discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the upcoming game engines out of the box (completely unmodified). If one of the engines does exactly what you want (with no extra work) there is no reason to go back to Quake and modify it until you get an engine that has the same features... other than to prove that it can be done (which will not make your final product any better).

if you remove the AI of a game ,and Add DX9/10/11 effects to a game like quake2 ,it still will be the quake2 engine ,with some modifications.Hl1 is based on QUake1/quake2 engines with some modifications. AmericanMCgee alice/COD/MOH are based in quake3 engine with some modifications. same with many Unreal engine games.. because there is no such thing as an -out of the box- do it all- Engine ->not if your goal is to design a completly new game. thats why you will need to modify many times the engine otherwise what you look again is to design is a technically speaking a game Mod.

and BTW,on another note.. ( FEnric ),i was merely providing information for the people here , so post count meaningless to me. also dont know why you locked the Normal map thread was a good technical one. the screenshots i posted backup what i was saying.

all of this ,is merely to show people to not judge a game engine (the things it can do /or cant do) ,by just looking -the out of the box- game screenshots or by taking 100% literary the things that sometimes developers say about a game they want to sell,without first really knowing what is really happening behind the scenes.

they can still read when its locked can't they?

yeah course they can :p

It's what we do, its what moderators here have always done, drag up a thread, it gets locked. AFAIK It's been the way to do things since before either of us joined.

Besides, from what I read you'd only know some of those HL2 normal map things you mentioned by using the stolen files.. I'm still debating whether to remove those posts of yours, only some of it you could have got from the legit released details, which I'd leave intact of course.. But I dunno bout the rest, you know the rules about the stolen files. I'll need to look into it. :(

One point you're missing is that yes, the Quake 2 engine can look like it did in those shots. Isn't it lovely? But would it run on Quake2-era hardware? Would it buggery.

If you modify an engine to that extent, it's not the same engine. Half-Life was made with the Half-Life engine, it's not a Quake mod with a few engine tweaks.

Anyone with the DX SDK can make an engine that can do all that. It's how the overall package and tools work together that make it a good engine (or not)

Fenric said:
they can still read when its locked can't they?

yeah course they can :p

It's what we do, its what moderators here have always done, drag up a thread, it gets locked. AFAIK It's been the way to do things since before either of us joined.

Besides, from what I read you'd only know some of those HL2 normal map things you mentioned by using the stolen files.. I'm still debating whether to remove those posts of yours, only some of it you could have got from the legit released details, which I'd leave intact of course.. But I dunno bout the rest, you know the rules about the stolen files. I'll need to look into it. :(

all the screenshots i have posted are from the Official released videos of valve . if you have the right player.. http://www.bsplayer.org/ you can capture still shots at any frame in the video.. ;) with all others in Quicktime format are from the released E3 videos.with QUicktimePro you can also capture any frame still shots of anything you can play. now if anyone knows how to post screenshots or at least see frame by frame and pause the movie in the SOurce engine "HDR" released videos in BINK format, i will love to study carefully what is happenning there too. :E

vann7 said:
all the screenshots i have posted are from the Official released videos of valve . if you have the right player.. http://www.bsplayer.org/ you can capture still shots at any frame in the video.. ;) with all others in Quicktime format are from the released E3 videos.with QUicktimePro you can also capture any frame still shots of anything you can play. now if anyone knows how to post screenshots or at least see frame by frame and pause the movie in the SOurce engine "HDR" released videos in BINK format, i will love to study carefully what is happenning there too. :E
Don't patronize me Vann :) I know you can grab stills.. I'm not talking about the screenshots, I'm talking about some of your info. Like how would you know how Valve are using normal maps without using the stolen files to find out... And then how do you know any of that is final, they could be planning to use it way more than you suggest.. You don't know either way.

I'll stay out of that argument I think.

Working in the architectural profession I'm always amazed that some developer hasn't jumped at the idea of making and marketing a realtime architectural visualisation package using something like a modified quake 3 engine. Its been a clear opportunity for several years now, I can only put it down to the fact that the games market is just that much more profitable. :frown:

Y'know, I've been wondering about that too...

IMHO, Source (and a couple of others) would make a good basis for a "walkthrough" architectural program... they had a couple of those a while back, but it was in the days before common texture maps, if I remember correctly...

x-ray engine is by far the best. Not even my opinion. Just the best based on specs and quality. It has physics that outdo Source, and 55 kilometer maps where weather changes dynamically. Definately my #1 pic.

Jeremy said:
It has physics that outdo Source

I have yet to be impressed by any of the physics i have seen in Far Cry, and from people who have played the "beta" of HL2 they have informed me that physics are the best in Source

But this is all opinion :)

Ignore me, i forgot X-Ray was the stalker engine

I'm ill today :(

Back