I'm constantly 'wowed' by this screenshot.

spitcodfry

Reaction score
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/half-life2/screenshots/22.jpg

Just to think of all that went into making that small portion of City 17. I didn't notice this before (I'm sure you did, feel free to gloat about it), but this screenshot: http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/half-life2/screenshots/08.jpg appears to be a close-up of whats going on. If you look in the low to mid left corner of the first screenshot, you can see the guys standing against the wall. Looks like all Valve did was freeze time in dev mode and fly the camera up above the square. Kinda neat, huh?

I'm continually curious about the Citadel structure, which can be seen in the background of the first screenshot, and in action in the Strider movie clip. I wonder if this is actually a structure with a fully-functioning interior (like the Combine HQ or something like that), or if it just serves as a city-munching juggernaut. Thoughts?

Its a wonder how it will still run on medium systems

I have speculation thats where you'll go to fight the end scene (the citadel)

Originally posted by MrWhite
I have speculation thats where you'll go to fight the end scene (the citadel)

That would be really cool. I'm interested to see how Valve would design an alien structure on the inside.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
I wonder if this is actually a structure with a fully-functioning interior (like the Combine HQ or something like that), or if it just serves as a city-munching juggernaut. Thoughts? [/B]

I've wondered the same thing myself, but you should try to look around for some concept art that I think was in one of those magazines. Unfortunately, I don't have a link and I don't remember the magazine, but you might be able to search for "concept art" on these forums and find it. But the one pic I'm thinking of showed the inside of some kind of metallic structure, and I would bet that it's the inside of the Tower - it had some hallways/walkways in it, I think. It looked really cool!

That first screen always makes me think of Russia for whatever reason.

i really like the lightened windows in the tower of the yellow building in both pics

The addition of realistic-looking powerlines that move in the wind will add a lot of dimention to the city areas.

I also like the "gestapo" sensation I get when I see scenes like that.

i'm on it dis.. i'm on it!

http://www.******/showpic/?/gallery/scans/images/hl2_scans_22.jpg

Originally posted by Bass
That first screen always makes me think of Russia for whatever reason.

Perhaps because of the spire-like tops to several of the buildings? Also, I really like the horse statue design. Give you the feeling that its a real city somewhere.

I can't wait to play the levels inside the Citadel... Damn, it'll be fun. And after that it'll probably be off to Xen once more.

Originally posted by EVIL
i'm on it dis.. i'm on it!

http://www.******/showpic/?/gallery/scans/images/hl2_scans_22.jpg

Holy crap that looks cool.

Originally posted by aXvXiA
The addition of realistic-looking powerlines that move in the wind will add a lot of dimention to the city areas.

I also like the "gestapo" sensation I get when I see scenes like that.

It would be so cool to pop around a corner in City 17 and see all those dudes lined up, and when the Combine soldiers spot you, they turn their attention to taking you down. Then the prisoners take the initiative and try to over power the combine and take their weapons. It would be so boss if the AI could do this.

I am sure it can. If a antliongueard can take the intiative to tumble a APC down hill to kill the peeps on it I am sure your buddie's can do the same

I am sure it can. If a antliongueard can take the intiative to tumble a APC down hill to kill the peeps on it I am sure your buddie's can do the same

I'd really like to see that vid that PC Gamer saw with the additional AI demonstration.

That sounds pretty sweet...where'd you hear about that? Any linkage???

i wish all the windows were made of glass so i could use the manipulator to crunk things through windows.

Originally posted by Be-vishead
i wish all the windows were made of glass so i could use the manipulator to crunk things through windows.

I can see myself strolling amidst the debris in City 17 hucking stuff through random windows...when all of a sudden, CRASH! An Ant Lion Guard busts open a door from one of the buildings that I shot stuff through, and speaks, actually speaks, to me, in a booming voice: "Who upsets my sleep?" And before waiting for a reply, he charges me and gores me into oblivion.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
"I can see myself strolling amidst the debris in City 17 hucking stuff through random windows...when all of a sudden, CRASH! An Ant Lion Guard busts open a door from one of the buildings that I shot stuff through, and speaks, actually speaks, to me, in a booming voice: "Who upsets my sleep?" And before waiting for a reply, he charges me and gores me into oblivion." That's what I said to everyone but... Well ya know it might not have happened I guess. I wasn't getting much sleep around then and well... I was doing a lot of drugs.

it looks like it was like freeze time but
look where the combine on the white marks, its most likely he wals like patroling while others held their position.
notfrozen.jpg

I agree, the wide city square shot is impressive and shows more detail than your average run of the mill shooter, it really looks like a real place.

I just hope that Valve have managed to maintain this level of detail throughout.

Countless FPShooters/mission packs I've played where the opening level or two have been well designed, textured and laid out, only for the levels to become more bland and rushed as you go through the game.

By the way, I hope Valve don't do any Zen levels in HL-2, they seemed a cop out in terms of level design.

Anyone else absolutely love the Eastern European architecture/look of HL2?

is that concept art meant to be the mechanism that moves them big gate things? maybe you have to destroy it at some point

Originally posted by NuTTeR
I just hope that Valve have managed to maintain this level of detail throughout.

For a five year development period it better!

Anyone else absolutely love the Eastern European architecture/look of HL2?

I certainly do. I've visited Europe twice, first time England and Scotland, second time Italy. Its probably the most beautiful place I've been in terms of architecture.

i always suspected that this was the inside of the citadel. it's got wireframe over it, so it's half model and half concept art. oh yeah, ant it's all cool! (lame hat on)

Attachments

• pcg-pull-11-12.jpg
    pcg-pull-11-12.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 449
Woah, haven't seen that screenshot before... nice....

Hey something just donged on me maybe the combine are running the prison that everyone keeps sayin looks like alcatraz. This would explain them in these pics arresting the "citizens".

Originally posted by Spiffae
i always suspected that this was the inside of the citadel. it's got wireframe over it, so it's half model and half concept art. oh yeah, ant it's all cool! (lame hat on)
Nice find man.That picture looks so cool!!!

Goddamn, my excitement had died down slightly, now its back up higher than before

All we need now is for Gabe to say "listen you dumbasses, it will be out the 30th", and id be a happy man

That's badass. I've never made a connection between the citadel and these concept art pics before. I want this game now. Please.

Thats even cooler than the first Citadel pic. If it really is the Citadel, which seems likely, and its hollow, which is what it looks like, then its probably just a giant machine designed to destroy the city little by little. Not likely to be an alien base of sorts, after all.

So what locale is everyone most looking forward to seeing? For me its gotta be the prison, followed by the icebreaker (which weve heard next to nothing about).

So cool. They're going to be so cool.
The Citadel levels that is. They'll be the best.
The new Xen levels could be good. I guess. The prison'll be cool.
And then there's all the stuff we haven't hear about yet. Whey!

So what locale is everyone most looking forward to seeing? For me its gotta be the prison, followed by the icebreaker (which weve heard next to nothing about).

The streets of City 17, and the Citadel (if its actually a level).

Dont care for the icebreaker, no doubt Valve will do it perfectly but i dont care for really claustraphobic areas...donno y.... Im lookin forward to the dry seabed.

Back