I'm constantly 'wowed' by this screenshot.

It also looks like he has alien-slave eyes on his chest. Wierd.

I think it will be scarier if they did include a zombie of this likeness in Half-Life 2 opposed to the regular head crab one. To see the face twitch or contort with lifeless, sunken eyes would be too cool. Or you come upon a slunched over one and it speaks in a gurgled tone, 'help me.' Then it gets up and slowly starts toward you. God I want this game badly.

More screenshots of City 17:

The 'usual' close-up shot of a Combine soldier and tower, but did you notice the 'tower' eating the building in the background?
http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/screenshots/20.jpg

A reverse-angle shot of the square. These guys appear to be up to mischief, on top of the yellow building.
http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/screenshots/13.jpg

A development shot of another part of the city, without textures:
http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/screenshots/27.jpg

Same shot, textured.
http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/screenshots/28.jpg

Originally posted by spitcodfry
Hey, thanks for contributing nothing to my thread. At least I added the description of the spire design common in Russian architecture. Oh, and Russia isn't exactly Eastern Europe.

Yes it is...

Originally posted by dscowboy
El Chi: Gabe said there would be no Xen levels in HL2
No, he said that the Xen levels wouldn't be the same platform jumping stuff that jarred with the rest of the game we saw last time.

All the concept art for inside the Citadel looks great.

Ramis: Russia isn't Eastern Europe, technically. It's Russia.Which isn't part of Europe, partluy because of its vast size.

Russia is part of europe, it has to be as it isn't its own continent

It's not it's own continent but it's not part of europe as Europe does not expand that far back. Plus Russia isn't part of the European Union (which doesn't mean everything, I know but just go with it), nor is it part of the Balkans, although it does stretch down there, nor is it part of Asia becasue it stretches to there as well, nor is it part of the US because it stretches to Alaska.
This is going to veer as far from topic as the petrol thread...

Russia takes part in the European Athletic Championships

So there! :p

Turkey takes part (and has taken part for a long while now) in European football competitions but it's not properly part of the EU yet either.

Haha all this over one little comment I made. I dont know why, but when I first saw a pic of the city square, I just thought St. Petersburg

Whatever, Ramis... agree to disagree?
'Cause I definitely can't be bothered to look it up, and I'm pretty sure that whilst the old Eastern Bloc countries of the fromer USSR are Eastern Europe, Russia is not included in that bracket.

As far as I have ever known my entire life Russia is technically part of Asia.

i think the technical term for russia, is if i'm not mistaken "eurasia" - (anyway atleast thats what google say)

(same as direwolf :D)

Originally posted by Bass
All we need now is for Gabe to say "listen you dumbasses, it will be out the 30th", and id be a happy man
Well, he ain't Gabe, but Valve's Doug Lombardi has pretty much said that. Except for the dumbass part.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/half-life2/screenshots/22.jpg

Just to think of all that went into making that small portion of City 17. I didn't notice this before (I'm sure you did, feel free to gloat about it), but this screenshot: http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/half-life2/screenshots/08.jpg appears to be a close-up of whats going on. If you look in the low to mid left corner of the first screenshot, you can see the guys standing against the wall. Looks like all Valve did was freeze time in dev mode and fly the camera up above the square. Kinda neat, huh?

I'm continually curious about the Citadel structure, which can be seen in the background of the first screenshot, and in action in the Strider movie clip. I wonder if this is actually a structure with a fully-functioning interior (like the Combine HQ or something like that), or if it just serves as a city-munching juggernaut. Thoughts?

very good find... didnt notice those guys standing against the wall within the first pic. i think that big structure @ the end is the G-man HQ or something like that

I really agree with Dagobert, the buildings looks like in Prague... try a images search on google with "prague", you will see...

For the citadel isn't it a screenshot of the inside here? (sorry if still posted).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr Djé (WebDesign)
::metalproject::

I guess praque would be a pretty safe bet....but alas we still don't have the game so its still all guessing and hear-say

i think that big structure @ the end is the G-man HQ or something like that
That's the combine citadel. Have you not seen the the E3 movie with commentary?

Yeah but it's a fictional place. It just takes its inspiration from East European archtiecture such as Prague. I doubt it's actually going to be a specific city.

Originally posted by Dagobert
That's the combine citadel. Have you not seen the the E3 movie with commentary?

i've seen it but i think i overheard that (was it in the streetfight where they commented about it? i cant find it)

That image is evidence that the combine are indeed a 'combine' of human and alien.

Originally posted by Dagobert
That image is evidence that the combine are indeed a 'combine' of human and alien.

Yea... and OOOOO it has a gasmask on... :p

Originally posted by el Chi
It's the same thing. And for god's sake don't mention it too loudly or all those people who were trying to analyse the e3 video frame-by-frame will crawl out of the woodwrok again and all hell will break loose.
rofl oh no they're coming *turns off pics* ... *unplugs internet*

Originally posted by Direwolf
Another view of that mechanism:
interesting.. i wonder if these are the same pistons mentioned in discussions of movies seen where a dropped wrench stopped a moving piston.. i always pictured it soo more simple, but this definately could have been what those lucky press-boys saw.

Originally posted by worldspawn
interesting.. i wonder if these are the same pistons mentioned in discussions of movies seen where a dropped wrench stopped a moving piston.. i always pictured it soo more simple, but this definately could have been what those lucky press-boys saw.

Gabe was asked about that picture and he said that was only concept art. but that doesnt mean it ISNT in the game. Just cross your fingers and hope it is :D

Originally posted by Deadline
Gabe was asked about that picture and he said that was only concept art. but that doesnt mean it ISNT in the game. Just cross your fingers and hope it is :D
ah *crosses fingers* .... seeing the models for machines in the doom3 alpha.. they could very well make this in hl2, it's just a different style and would take good modellers. (which we know they have.. gman.)

I was just wondering (as I have not seen hardly any of the videos)
are the combine going to attack us streight away or am I going to have to piss them off first?

Originally posted by Shodan
are the combine going to attack us streight away or am I going to have to piss them off first?

I'm pretty sure Freeman has some kind of bounty on his head?....but hell i'd piss them off anyway, if you weren't the hunted from the start :D

Originally posted by Shodan
depends if they don't see you as an enemy earlier in the game and something happens.. but in the videos .. they seem to be attacking you without any provocation, though.. you should watch the videos and see for yourself.

Back