I'm gonna be a pilot!

dart321

Reaction score
Well, it's all set. Starting next Monday, yours truly, will be starting his first civil aviation course (a.k.a. flight school). My dad set me up (Christmas and Birthday present). It's not for a job or anything, only because I love to fly and I'm making it my new hobby.

We know some guys that go up every other day just about. My dad is great friends with them (their ex-navy pilots), as am I, and when I'm done I'll have my own small plane to use. (It's not mine, there just "lending" it to me, only its not that simple, unfortunately.)

Anyway, we live like 5-6 minutes from the local airport so once this thing really kicks up I should be able to fly every weekend and so fourth. The airport pays for ALL maintenance and gas as long as you're apart of their civilian flying program or whatever (which they are).

Anyway, what this post is really about: I'M GONNA BE A PILOT and I will, technically, have my own plane! Needless to say, I’m more than a little excited!

Sweet, dude! Good luck and an early congratulations!

...fly away with the plane when you go up the first time. Then land it in Cuba and sell it.

Congrats, though. That's one hell of a hobby.

Thats great! I am also fascinated with flight. In about two years, after I get my degree, I'll be sitting in the cockpit of a Navy aircraft. Can't wait.

Fly safe, and what out for teh UFOs!

Congratulations! I'm jealous :p

Really though, it sounds fantastic :) Flying is something I’ve always wanted to pursue myself. I'm sure you'll have a great time of it! :)

Yeah, its great to live your dreams, i hope everyone does... to be a pilot was my dream once....

personally, my one now includes Carmen Electra, so it may not happen!!

I'm hoping to get a PPL later in my life, i've been lucky to have trial flights at the controls of a Piper Warrior and loved every minute of it. Flying a light aircraft adds a whole new meaning to the word 'freedom'

:D

Nice lePobs! Anyway, I'm getting (hopefully) the Cessna Turbo Skylane. It's a very great plane for someone like me I'm told. If I get really serious about flying, many, many years later, I'm probably going move up to a faster plane but this is a great plane all around for my needs. I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Anyway, I’m really excited about starting my classes. I have wanted to do this for years now.

http://img152.exs.cx/img152/6889/myplane9vy.jpg

Note: This is the 2005 model. Mine is the 2000 model, the deferences on the exterior are nonexistent, however, the interior has changed somewhat.

Well whoopide-doo da....(note: posted out of jealousy. Left eye 20/20, right eye 20/24..can't happen...damn eye examinations...) Seriously, good for you. Nice to know someone's enjoying it...flying that is.

Wow, thats cool. I'd like to learn how to fly. I think it'd be so awesome to just freely fly around and be in control. Congrats to you!

:cheers:

it would be cool to fly one of those air force planes, but anyways good for you :thumbs:

looks fun from what i can see in the picture

SHIPPI said:
Awesome man, good luck I've always wanted to learn to fly
Flying's easy. Landing's hard.

Anyway, I'll join in the general chorus of congratulations. I want to fly again, but bloody uni :(

Landing is easy. Landing a 747 with no fuel and no avionics isn't... but I've got it down to a tee :D

lePobz said:
Landing is easy. Landing a 747 with no fuel and no avionics isn't... but I've got it down to a tee :D
Oh good!

Now come fly your ass over here and come pick me up and take me to some exotic place.

Tr0n said:
Oh good!

Now come fly your ass over here and come pick me up and take me to some exotic place.

There are airports in Alabama?

You learn something new everyday.

Shens said:
There are airports in Alabama?

You learn something new everyday.

Don't start boy!

Yes there are many many airports in alabama...hell theres a private airport a couple miles from where I live.

I'm actually going to school in one of the top Aviation schools in the US. University of North Dakota. It's what I originally came up here for. I flew for like 3 weeks in my 2nd semester and found it boring. Don't get me wrong, flying is fun...but there's too many damn regulations and rules. Nuts to that...if I would fly for a career it'd have to be something exciting.

It's fun landing in 30 kt crosswinds though :p - challenging to say the least. I also flew a low-wing piper warrior like in that picture of yours lePobz. I may do it as a hobby in the future...but not as a career.

bvasgm said:
Well whoopide-doo da....(note: posted out of jealousy. Left eye 20/20, right eye 20/24..can't happen...damn eye examinations...) Seriously, good for you. Nice to know someone's enjoying it...flying that is.

My vision is 20/70, and I have upwards of 12 hours logged, and I've soloed. Yes, I have "corrective lenses", but for 20/24 you shouldn't need them. Get a Class 3 flight physical and see what they say.

Anyway, It's awsome that you're getting to fly, I soloed on a scholarship through the Civil Air Patrol, and I'm continuing my lessons through them... I only have to pay for fuel, an instructer pilot and a 172 cost nothing for me! :)

And I hate you for getting your own plane.... you're family must be loaded because most private pilots who have been pilots for decades and have good jobs don't own thier own plane. :/

Just make sure you don't see Buddy Holly's ghost and you'll be fine :thumbs:

Danimal said:
Just make sure you don't see Buddy Holly's ghost and you'll be fine :thumbs:
What's so special about Buddy Holly? What about Richie Valens and The Big Bopper? They were on the same plane, you know!

Enjoy. It's retardedly expensive. Don't let any vets there try to swing you otherwise. You won't REALLY be flying unless your parents are fairly well set. You'll get your wings tho. Pride I guess.

My grandpa was into aviation too, he built a real nice ultralite plane, but then he died before he could fly it. If i wanted my pilot lisence I would have a plane to fly.

Tr0n said:
Don't start boy!

Yes there are many many airports in alabama...hell theres a private airport a couple miles from where I live.
Haha, Alabama.

Brilliant - Congratulations anyway and best of luck with it all...

SpuD said:
My grandpa was into aviation too, he built a real nice ultralite plane, but then he died before he could fly it. If i wanted my pilot lisence I would have a plane to fly.

Not too different from one of my roomates. His grandpa built a glider and died inside it then crashed. My roomate still has the altimiter...

firemachine69 said:
Enjoy. It's retardedly expensive. Don't let any vets there try to swing you otherwise. You won't REALLY be flying unless your parents are fairly well set. You'll get your wings tho. Pride I guess.

What do you mean I won't be really flying? Last time I checked, whenever you're up in the air with a plane the you are piloting and you have you're license that’s considered flying.

I have a plane that I can use at my leisure whenever I get my wings. How can I not REALLY be flying?

I'm not trying to sound confrontational, but why would you say something like that? It's really been a dream of mine since I was little.

Yarrr!!

Oh. I thought someone said something about pirating. My bad.

SidewinderX said:
My vision is 20/70, and I have upwards of 12 hours logged, and I've soloed. Yes, I have "corrective lenses", but for 20/24 you shouldn't need them. Get a Class 3 flight physical and see what they say.
YES! So there is hope for He_Who_Is_Bvasgm...sorry He_Who_Is_Steve, it was just too good to resist. Best name ever by the way... :E Quick thought..how would I go about getting a Class 3 flight physical?

dart321 said:
What do you mean I won't be really flying? Last time I checked, whenever you're up in the air with a plane the you are piloting and you have you're license that’s considered flying.

I have a plane that I can use at my leisure whenever I get my wings. How can I not REALLY be flying?

I'm not trying to sound confrontational, but why would you say something like that? It's really been a dream of mine since I was little.

I spoke of money without realizing the "plane is there to use" part. ;)

btw firemachine your sig is too long.

pilot sounds really good and my mate said if we chipped in some cash he would bring us along on a flying lesson with him. it sounds like some experience :O, i envy you

yep, Firemachine69 can you get your sig down to 4 lines please?

Thanks

Back