impressions of london (for americans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherry

Reaction score
just wanted to know what the american people here think of london, not whether it's good or bad, but what you think it's like.

let me explain: i often bump into tourists or sometimes speak to people that think we all live in stately homes and have pictures of the queen on the wall.

then you meet the people who think we all live like the guys in 'Lock Stock' and 'Snatch'. seems like everyone thinks we're either cockneys or posh royalists.

i was watching telly the other day and i saw the lily allen video for her song, 'LDN', that gives a better impression of most of london i think, a bit grotty, cafs, traffic wardens, etc... but obviously this is only one kind of area. i found myself wondering if you got that video in the us, and what you all thought london was like.

this should give you a good idea of what americans think about the rest of the world (I'm generalising but ...meh)

060502_geography_big.jpg

no but seriously

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUfb1k-VYgc&search=geography americans

ok ok enough kidding around

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/0502_060502_geography.html

I believe it to be pretty much like america, except you guys say things wrong and stiuck the lettuer 'u' in placues it doesun't beloung.

I believe it to be pretty much like america, except you guys say things wrong and stiuck the lettuer 'u' in placues it doesun't beloung.
Yes, you seem to have missed the point of this thread altogether. Plus, you're completely wrong.

London's good if you've got money.

Otherwise it sucks.

Same like everywhere else really.

Arr tis true. London is a fine place for booty if you've got the medallions..

When I think of London, I think of beautifull architecture, rainy, overcast days, beer... lots of beer. Fairly happy people, drinking beer, in beautifully crafted buildings on rainy days. Then stumbling home, drunk, unaware of the zombie infestation later on in the evening... eh wait..

Never been to London, flown over it though, looks awsome from the air, but I have everything I need right here in Manchester

you just put 'u' in completely the wrong words. color - colour, for example.

and as to saying things wrong - we were here first, if one of our countries does speak 'wrong', it's yours.

this should give you a good idea of what americans think about the rest of the world (I'm generalising but ...meh)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/images/060502_geography_big.jpg[img]

no but seriously

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUfb1k-VYgc&search=geography%20americans[/url]

ok ok enough kidding around

[url]http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/05/0502_060502_geography.html[/url][/QUOTE]haha Thats too funny.
I believe there are people out there like that here but i'm glad I have not met any of them.

Personally, I don't know much detail on how the goverment works over there. All we ever get briefed on at HL2.net is how the US sucks! =p

ive been to london a few times. its nice! (but this thread was for american views, i know..lol)

everything I know about london comes from those walmart commercials where they advertise a "london" style clothing line hawked by a woman with an obviously fake british accent

"<Singing with techno beat> london, london, london ...our london "inspired" clothing line, exclusively at walmart"

Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary ****ing Poppins... LONDON

only because you dont know it's there ...but we're there ...waiting, plotting ...I've said too much

err...ok

Anyways, not having been to london, I speculate it being filled with many more wierdos than here (US) in such a smaller amount of space. I'm kinda scared to visit if I ever should have to.

Yeah, I speculate that the Sahara Desert has a lot of Cannibal-Eskimo Communists, so I'm kind of scare to go (If I ever had to, for example a Cannibal forced me to do so at gunpoint).

only because you dont know it's there ...but we're there ...waiting, plotting ...I've said too much

BS I SAY! You couldn't be there! You must be living on that small island to the west of the US.

Yeah, I speculate that the Sahara Desert has a lot of Cannibal-Eskimo Communists, so I'm kind of scare to go (If I ever had to, for example a Cannibal forced me to do so at gunpoint).
Someone who understands!! :p

BS I SAY! You couldn't be there! You must be living on that small island to the west of the US.

japan?

oh I'm here alright ..on a sunny day I can even see america ...well if it's really clear and I'm on the top floor of the tallest building in my city

Isnt London that place where chimney sweeps run around rooftops and everyone says chim chim charoo at least once a day?

err...ok

Anyways, not having been to london, I speculate it being filled with many more wierdos than here (US) in such a smaller amount of space. I'm kinda scared to visit if I ever should have to.
Well, just stay away from Whitechapel.

I only spent a few days in London. It was alright for me, but for what I felt like after 2 days I was just wasting my money there. Of course was I doing the 'tourist' things with those I was traveling with so I understand there was so much of London I didn't get to see and experience so I didn't let that spoil my opinion of the city. Of course, for me a lot of the city experience is based on the people there and I found the cities I liked most while out in Europe were the ones I hung out with the natives, as it were. :)

london IMO is one of the most multiculteral places in the world.

is that a bad thing.. or a good thing?

YOU decide.

London was fine when I went a couple years ago...except for the one asshole that was following very close and insulting me for about a minute, and how I was told Leicester Square was pronounced(Most of the pronuciation stuff is fine, but come on, you're skipping like a third of the word when you say it.) Otherwise, it was a nice place to visit. I walked around the city most of the time I was there, visiting the museums and sights, and I found that it was easy to walk to where I wanted, and the subway system was one of the better ones I've used as well. Didn't get to have much non-American food, as American chains seemed to dominate the main areas I was in, but I did get to one great Indian place. Seemed just as good(Or better) as most cities I've visited in terms of things to do, though as I said it would have been nice to get more local food.

bad teeth, worse weather, fish'n chips, cup-o-tea, Marry ****ing Poppins

Bad teeth? What, you've seen EVERYONES teeth? The amount of Americans on X-Box live that say that to me is laughtastic. I

I love London. I was there recently staying at my dads freinds house. Great place.

lol. i remember an american saying on this other forum once:

'all queen loving, men in bowler hats with bad teeth drinking tea... how splendid'..

lmao, how wrong was he!:D

it is a steroetype though ..although disporportionate in comparison to say a third world country

hehe there's an episode of the simpsons where lisa goes to a dentist who's just a little bit of a joseph menegala ..he scares the kids into brushing their teeth by showing them "The Big British book of smiles"

http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/8684.html

doesnt mean it's true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back