impressions of london (for americans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, the last comment aside, we do not have cameras that talk to you on the street, what on earth are you talking about?

also, yes we drink tea, but i haven't had a crumpet since i was little. if you want them you can buy them. and boring? london is the center of music in the world, it's the most multi cultural city, one of the biggest ones. we have huge clubs, thousands of bars, restaurants etc. the southbank of the river is home to the national theater, the national film theater, the london eye. the 50th BFI london film festival is about to begin. i don't beleive that you really think london would be a bad place to live, you seem angry actually, your post is very hostile. you're jealous aren't you? :p
Heres the proof of your talking cameras: Check it out. and is it true that you guys have drive-by debates instead of drive by shootings?

i like that idea, drive by debates. i wish london really was posho.

London isn't so bad, it depends which part you go too (it's huge).

If you have the money and go to the right places it's easily one of the best cities in the world for partying. Sure, there are many dirty and rough areas, there's also a great deal of culture, attractions/events and more history than you could shake a stick at. Very few, if any, cities have as much to offer.

I haven't the energy for the hustle anymore, but have had so many great times in town over the years. There's something special being near Oxford Street, the busiest street in the world, and watching the world go by.

I haven't the energy for the hustle anymore, but have had so many great times in town over the years. There's something special being near Oxford Street, the busiest street in the world, and watching the world go by.

Right before your wallet gets nicked.

London isn't so bad, it depends which part you go too (it's huge).

If you have the money and go to the right places it's easily one of the best cities in the world for partying. Sure, there are many dirty and rough areas, there's also a great deal of culture, attractions/events and more history than you could shake a stick at. Very few, if any, cities have as much to offer.

Is Oxford Street really the busiest street in the world? I figured somewhere in Hong Kong would take that title.

Right before your wallet gets nicked.

Nothing a few fishhooks on the inside of your pocket can't fix. If you're looking for the pickpocket capital of the world, go to Barcelona.

Is Oxford Street really the busiest street in the world? I figured somewhere in Hong Kong would take that title.

Apprently so.

Heres the proof of your talking cameras: Check it out. and is it true that you guys have drive-by debates instead of drive by shootings?

Drive by debates > drive by shootings which involve people dieing, violence, use of guns, illegal activities, ETC ETC ETC.

You win there, then. :) Ho ho! Damn!

Hmm... These Americans have clearly never been to Essex.

Anyway, onto London - I have to go there to catch Hammerfall's ONLY UK tour date on their Europein tour. Other than that, I tend not to venture there too often at the moment. And why would I want to, when I live in the greatest county of the greatest country on the greatest continent in all the world. In otherwords, Essex > all. End of discussion.

lol, ESSEX?? my grandma lives there, it's an utter dump.

how interesting, why don't you start a thread about it and only post RELEVANT things in this one.

I think he's being sarcastic.

No, Im really, really not. I love my County and honestly believe that its the best in the world.

*Chest swells with pride and a flag with 3 C axes flys in the background*

I can't give an accurate impression of it, as when I was there, I was going on 6 hours sleep in the past 72....

seemed allright though

No, Im really, really not. I love my County and honestly believe that its the best in the world.

*Chest swells with pride and a flag with 3 C axes flys in the background*

Are you sure we're talking about the same Essex? ;)

i think his essex must be on another world if he likes it that much.

I live in atlantic canada, and when I went to New York it was like what I saw in the movies, so can I assume London is the same way?

Only maybe more soccer hooligans.

I live in london, fulham/chelsea area, used to live in camden town, and even though i'm bound to be biased, i love the place. Out of all of the places i have lived/been/stayed, it is without doubt my favourite. On any given day (when i'm not working !!) i can get out of bed and do whatever i want to do. Whatever your desire, london has it catered for.

And as for most of london being run-down, what a load of utter rubbish, you'll struggle to find run-down areas inside zone 2 at all, and still not too many outside that. I can only assume that the majority of people that have never been here are mis-informed and/or ignorant.

I believe it to be pretty much like america, except you guys say things wrong and stiuck the lettuer 'u' in placues it doesun't beloung.

Woah, London is not that friggin huge :D

And the thing with the letter 'u' is pretty much universal in the UK, not just London

Woah, London is not that friggin huge :D

And the thing with the letter 'u' is pretty much universal in the UK, not just London
And, as far as I know, in Australia and Canada, too. And Ireland, too, I suppose.

I live in london, fulham/chelsea area, used to live in camden town, and even though i'm bound to be biased, i love the place. Out of all of the places i have lived/been/stayed, it is without doubt my favourite. On any given day (when i'm not working !!) i can get out of bed and do whatever i want to do. Whatever your desire, london has it catered for.

And as for most of london being run-down, what a load of utter rubbish, you'll struggle to find run-down areas inside zone 2 at all, and still not too many outside that. I can only assume that the majority of people that have never been here are mis-informed and/or ignorant.

The majority of London is outside zone 2. I live in zone 5. Camden Town isn't exactly lovely...sure, I like it there, and I've considered getting a place there off and on, but it's a very troubled area and not too pretty. Kentish Town is awful.
North/West London suburbs are mostly a dive. You just have to go out to one of the commuter towns and the contrast with London is staggering.
Can't speak for much of South London, because I never go there. Been to Clapham however, and it wasn't all that. Pimlico also is like a shanty town.

The majority of London is outside zone 2. I live in zone 5. Camden Town isn't exactly lovely...sure, I like it there, and I've considered getting a place there off and on, but it's a very troubled area and not too pretty. Kentish Town is awful.
North/West London suburbs are mostly a dive. You just have to go out to one of the commuter towns and the contrast with London is staggering.
Can't speak for much of South London, because I never go there. Been to Clapham however, and it wasn't all that. Pimlico also is like a shanty town.

I don't disagree with you on many points, however i was talking in the context of the london that people will visit when they come to see london. The majority will come to london and spend most of their time in the inner 2 zones. I'm not saying it's perfect, i'm not blind ! Brixton, Wembley, Parts of Vauxhall, and idd Camden (although not pretty, and a bit dodgy, a very lively place with great music and nightlife) etc etc. My partner lives in seven sisters, boy, what a dump !! But in the context of the question i think that my points were accurate enough. If you understand what i am trying to get at xD

true zones 1 and 2 are nice, but you don't 'struggle' to find a run down area there. just go to hackney. and also, most of south london is pretty horrible. i'm a north london gal.

Been to london. Seemed... older.

And your houses are TOO SMALL.

And you have a lot of pubs.

I don't disagree with you on many points, however i was talking in the context of the london that people will visit when they come to see london. The majority will come to london and spend most of their time in the inner 2 zones. I'm not saying it's perfect, i'm not blind ! Brixton, Wembley, Parts of Vauxhall, and idd Camden (although not pretty, and a bit dodgy, a very lively place with great music and nightlife) etc etc. My partner lives in seven sisters, boy, what a dump !! But in the context of the question i think that my points were accurate enough. If you understand what i am trying to get at xD

Ah, yes. Of course, the London people visit and the London people live in are two very different places...
London might be a much better place without inane Blairite multiculturalism/all cultures are equally valid and welcome to grow here/real criminals are just poor misunderstood souls but let's criminalise ordinary citizens policies, but that's a topic for another day.

Ah, yes. Of course, the London people visit and the London people live in are two very different places...

And the question of the topic is what people that had visited london thought about it.....

true zones 1 and 2 are nice, but you don't 'struggle' to find a run down area there. just go to hackney. and also, most of south london is pretty horrible. i'm a north london gal.

I posted since that first post explaining how i was talking about london in the context of those who visit it. And maybe "struggle" was a bad choice of vocabulary, but the larger majority of zones 1 and 2 aren't run down, which was the general point i was trying to make, rather than anally picking each and every area out and explaining its status.

I have a serious question for you people in the United Kingdom..
How the hell have you people been able to survive in such a small space, with so many people? Or do most of them just go to different countries or the USA?

Most of us live underground, with the Morlocks.

morlock.gif

But yeah, we've been able to sustain a good way of life by bullying other countries.

Newcastle's supposed to have the highest pub-to-person ratio in the UK. Not sure if that's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back