Improving physics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decon

Reaction score
This topic is about your ideas on physics improvement.

I would like to see the following improved:

-rag dolls, the only way to make them less floppy and more rigid is to simulate very basic skeleton, I think Quake 4 had very good rag doll physics, they always behaved very naturally. Also in one instance in HL2 there was this one room in the canals where combine soldier ran into a tentacle crab and was pulled up, the problem was he immediately became a lifeless floppy rag doll instead of trying to wrestle free.
Now, if you saw SW: Force Unleashed there is a special engine that takes care of such behaviors in a non-scripted manner.

-classes of destructible materials which are consistent, not specifically scripted. I would for once like to see that you can blow a wooden door with a grenade or rocket launcher. And for all kinds of situations where when one with the same settings can be physically altered/resolved and one with the same settings can not because it is not scripted. This is very bizarre indeed, ever since Deus Ex you were able to make all kinds of alternative paths, you can sometimes make them in HL2 but they are solely restricted to ventilation ducts.
Why not go back to superior concept of Deus Ex and make just a bit extra effort by creating sandbox like environments similar to Crysis?
Also remember Resident Evil 4? You could blow doors with even shotguns, jump through windows, get on roofs etc. Wasn't that nice...

-I guess the rest would follow point 2, why can't you shatter glass on all windows, why make different classes of windows to be physically altered(I'm not talking about that net security glass but normal windows on buildings). This significantly dissolves the legendary immersion.

Less scripting and arbitrary object classes and more physics, this is the future(it was even the past in some games).

It has become apparent to me that you really are a troll. This is a list of all the threads started by you:

New engine?
The second thread that you created was discussing Valve's engine, particularly the graphics of it, comparing it to engines such as Crytek's benchmark engine used in Crysis. This is a fine comment to make, as after playing Crysis, many of us contemplate the implementation of the superior graphics of Crysis into the superior storyline of Half-Life, but it has been discussed before and even clearly answered by Valve. If you really want to see how much the Source engine has expanded, see its Wiki entry.

Examining traditional approach
This is a thread discussing the inventory slots provided by Valve for our weapons. This isn't particularly unique, as we've discussed the "traditional approach" of Valve before, including discussing adding Iron Sights to weapons and such.

Unkown creatures?
The thread following this asks a question almost anyone could have answered, because they pay attention. If they don't know, then they tend to search. The HL2.net forum has a search facility which works perfectly fine, returning anything you care to search for. Unfortunately, it's far underused. But then, I guess you didn't really know what to search for. So that question is almost valid, despite your show of incompetence.

Valve development policy becoming flimsy?
Another thread questioning the intent and ability behind Valve. Not only did you downgrade both Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead into "kiddy games", you insulted the vast majority of users of this forum. It's not quite clear why or how someone could do this, but it showed a clear misjudgement on your part. You were absolutely and completely wrong in your interpretation of the situation, particularly because you forgot the two most recent Single Player games produced by Valve: Portal and Episode Two. Team Fortress 2 was released at exactly the same time as the aforementioned games you immediately assume that because Valve are releasing Left 4 Dead and working on updates for their loyal Team Fortress 2 users, they've forgotten about single player action altogether. Simply because of one game. Despite the promises of Episode Three and the repeated rumours of Portal II. Well, I'm sorry that some of us enjoy the "cartoonish" Team Fortress 2 made for infantiles, but because you declare it's "flimsy", it immediately stops being a priority for development time. Your moronic responses back up your moronic thread, declaring that because a multiplayer game doesn't have a storyline it's not worth paying attention to.

I didn't even bother responding to that thread, because it was so utterly stupid. I assumed it was because you weren't too bright, or you were very opinionated, but I realised what it was when I read this thread:

Improving physics
A thread which depicts the problems with the Source physics engine. This makes your fourth thread criticising Valve as a game developer and your fifth completely moronic thread. Out of six threads in total, that's not an impressive statistic.

You're the very same person who posted for the first time declaring how great and immersive Portal was, how utterly amazing Valve must be to have created it, and yet you don't even like the engine it was based upon. You don't like the physics, you don't like the graphics, you don't like the weapons system and you don't seem to like the games that they have lined up. So you know what I say to you? Don't play it. If you don't like the Source engine so much, don't even bother playing another game using the Source engine. Despite the fact it's possibly one of the most extensible, widely used and oldest engines to still be sold, it's surprising how much is wrong with it, isn't there. Despite the fact that so many people enjoy it and do not complain, it's surprising how much you don't like it. So perhaps it's not the engine but yourself who is the problem. Maybe you're either far too young or immature to understand the workings behind the development of a game, or maybe you're just out to irritate the hell out of us and stir up some kind of rivalry against Valve. Considering your relatively fluent grasp of the English language, I certainly don't think you're foreign, nor that young. On the contrary, I think you're an ignorant, moronic troll.

So instead of bitching about an engine with few problems or about games which are more than perfectly fine, I suggest you leave the Source engine alone, and while you're at it, piss off from here and leave these boards alone.

For gods sake, when will you realise that Half-Life is a linear game and NOT and damn sandbox game. Half-Life doesn't need to be able to blow up doors as it's a linear action packed and scripted game. Thats one of the charms of Half-Life and why people love it, telling Valve to make it sandbox just like Crysis makes no sense.You can already blow up windows and jump though them, and with cinematic physics, you will be able to blow up certain wall etc. As for the Physics, come on it's 4 years old and is still great for it's age. Comparing it to SW: Force Unleashed which is newer and not even out is not fair. We havent seen it in action so we can't comment.
But please GTFO of this forum as you are clearly a frustrating troll who seems to hate nearly everything Valve, Go back to sucking on Crysis tit.
Well commented Druckles,couldn't have said it better myself.

Half-Life doesn't need to be able to blow up doors as it's a linear action packed and scripted game.

I can't possibly see how this can be mutually exclusive.

You can already blow up windows and jump though them

A lie.

you are clearly a frustrating troll

Troll designation fallacy as to not address my very specific remarks will not work with me so don't bother with it.

I made a very clear description of the purpose of this topic and have been very specific in providing the content for it.

You're the very same person who posted for the first time declaring how great and immersive Portal was, how utterly amazing Valve must be to have created it, and yet you don't even like the engine it was based upon. You don't like the physics, you don't like the graphics, you don't like the weapons system and you don't seem to like the games that they have lined up.

Strawman fallacy.

As for the Physics, come on it's 4 years old and is still great for it's age.

Well i think this. Now I have not played Crysis or S.T.A.L.K.E.R (& only the COD4 demo) & I admit fail on my part & for what im about to say... but I can't help but think it's presumptuous to contest the way these games operate with HL2 - EP 3.

It's fine to promote discussion about how Valve operate & air your views on what you don't like/want to see made better (& mention games you've played i.e. that have different, maybe better approaches), but throw us a bone we can digest. Your title posts have been quite antagonistic & I don't think it's called for, especially this one - "Valve development policy becoming flimsy?" imo. Most of your threads have been discussed before (as Druckles has pointed out) so use the search button. It's attracting negative attention going over old ground, & the guys that have been around here years deserve a break.

Windows in the houses at the location of Ep2's final battle.

As for your point about physics, I think Source is still quite superior in that regard to all other engines.

Well, He is right at one point.

"Also in one instance in HL2 there was this one room in the canals where combine soldier ran into a tentacle crab and was pulled up, the problem was he immediately became a lifeless floppy rag doll instead of trying to wrestle free."

Sometimes it's annoying.They should at least script it.

Such special scripting is obsolete with the new SW: Force Unleashed engines.

Anyway do you have any other feasible ideas on improving/expanding physics or have I stated them all?

btw has anyone seen the scope of destructibility in Bad Company? The weapons handling animations look fantastic.

The physics in the source engine can be a bit funny at times, when you hit some stuff with the crowbar for example it goes flying a bit farther than it should. That being said, it was one of the first revolutionary physics engines and is still keeping up with newer engines of today. Just because it isn't perfect, doesn't mean you need to overhaul it.

Such special scripting is obsolete with the new SW: Force Unleashed engines.

Anyway do you have any other feasible ideas on improving/expanding physics or have I stated them all?

btw has anyone seen the scope of destructibility in Bad Company? The weapons handling animations look fantastic.
You're right! You're absolutely right. Source is outdated compared to SW: Force Unleashed. It's outdated compared to Bad Company. It's outdated compared to Crysis.

Thing is, what will YOU do about it? You're not a coder. You're not a modeler. You're not an animator. You're just an "ideas man". Do us and yourself a favour; go to this site and learn the aforementioned skills. Then go ask this guy to teach you on writing shaders for Half-Life 2 (Better read up on HLSL syntax!).

If you do not have the required knowledge behind a certain subject, you are certainly not entitled to criticizing it like you have done. That's just presumptuous.

Half-Life 2 and Source are 4 years old. It's not really fair to compare with games that were not even been released. Just the fact you are comparing them shows how great Source is. I'm trying to think that you're not a ordinary trool, but a HL fan (why would you register here right?) that wants to see HL in the pinnacle of technology like in 2004. You could see some of those things in a hypothetical HL3 if the source engine recieves a huge update (big if), but for Ep.3 thats not going to happen, face it, not to mention new gameplay, HL will always be pure linearity, you just have to live with that.

I laugh at the way he keeps comparing games like SW: force unleashed and all the other generic crap that comes out today to a true piece of work that valve laboured over for many more years than any other company (exept maxis with spore). Now im not critisising the skills of the comapanies that make said generic crap , and im not saying i can do a better job because i sure as hell cant but what im saying is hardly any one will go back and replay said crap just to see how things would play out if you threw a random item at a random dude and it would be different every time , or firing a rocket at a stack of explosive barrels.

Edit : OP you are clearly an idiot if you think that being able to break and jump through windows in HL2 is a lie.

Edit : OP you are clearly an idiot if you think that being able to break and jump through windows in HL2 is a lie.

Ah, I really don't know what the hell is wrong with you people, functional illiteracy, cognitive dissonance, being f**ing unbelievably dumb...?

I say by HL2 I mean E1 and E2 which is of course, the latest of HL2...then you say I always mention a game 4 years old..

I say arbitrary classes of objects, being only minority physically alterable within the same class...and you say "in one sequence in E2 you can break windows!"

I say "how would you improve/expand physics"...you say "he's a f**ing troll! he hates physics and source and everything!!"

I mention other games just as a means to invoke mental visions for you to more easily understand the details of a certain aspect, and you say "suck that Crysis tit!"

I say "look at all that great potential that would be so nice to develop"..and you say "you f**ing moron, why don't you go spend 5 years learning to code before speaking about how wonderful would it be to develop potential!".

and so on and so on...

This must be the f**ing dumbest forum ever. You're so dumb you give me a headache with your constant mindless unfounded hostility, strawman fallacy, psychological disorders and general dumbness...

You remind me of a child who's just learned new words, mindlessly spewing them at every opportunity to appear smart. You've recycled the phrase "cognitive dissonance", amongst others, in many of your posts. So here's a new one for you, thought it up just now: "delusions of intellect".

You don't even have the balls to respond to Druckles' post, so don't expect anyone here to respect you or the vile trolling you try to hide behind freedom of opinion.

PS: Druckles, what a f***ing dude.

I say by HL2 I mean E1 and E2 which is of course, the latest of HL2...then you say I always mention a game 4 years old...

LoL. Simply LoL. You are talking about the physics engine , not the game , so i was in fact right. And how the hell would you expand on the physics of breaking a window , thats just stupid.

Edit : and yes , i too would like to see you try and take on druckles' behemoth of a noob spanking. Go on , try.

Naw, that's my new character that's level nine, it's my barb Heavy that's got the battle orders. And a runeword "silence" war pike, does about 1700 damage.

Naw, that's my new character that's level nine, it's my barb Heavy that's got the battle orders. And a runeword "silence" war pike, does about 1700 damage.

Crikey. How much damage per second, though?

Sorry, I only do single player, and all my items are duped. I don't wanna get caught naked in a rust storm.

I say by HL2 I mean E1 and E2
Then say Ep1 or Ep2.

This must be the f**ing dumbest forum ever.
Oh bye then. I think you can tell from this thread how much you'll be missed :dozey:

You're so dumb you give me a headache with your constant mindless unfounded hostility, strawman fallacy, psychological disorders and general dumbness...
lol

Why do I have the feeling Decon here has thesaurus.com open in another window/tab...

Also I don't get the comparing of HL2 to games that haven't even been released yet, got any idea how much stuff can change from gameplay demos? Look at some of the early demos of Spore and then compare them to the newer stuff thats been coming out.

Why do I have the feeling Decon here has thesaurus.com open in another window/tab...

Also I don't get the comparing of HL2 to games that haven't even been released yet, got any idea how much stuff can change from gameplay demos? Look at some of the early demos of Spore and then compare them to the newer stuff thats been coming out.

More exposure of Decon's idiocy. Good show!

Edit : uhh , i mean you have exposed his idiocy to the public , not that you have been exposed to it for too long and are now an idiot :p.

Why is this guy still here? We must really lock the windows after dark, any old twat could walk in.

*whispering to self* oh noes , they are on to me!

*to everyone else* Uhhh yeah , that would totaly suck if any old nut job just randomly walked in...

It's nice to see a debate where all sides are retarded.

It's nice to see a debate where all sides are retarded.

You mean all sides after my pwnage rebuttal...a continuous stream of selective quoting and not addressing anything I said...the final irony of mindless shit trolling nonsense people employ here whenever they can and can't.
I guess people can get too involved with a certain forum/game to have any remnants of rational response left.

P.S.
If everyone would read the opening post of this topic now they might realize what kind of dribbling simpletons they turned into.

You obviously signed up here just to elicit the kind of reaction that you're getting. Well, I'm sorry - we're not here to be used as mental masturbation material for you. Say goodnight.

Oh, and feel free to think that this means you "won" in some way. I suspect you'll find that you're the only one that cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back