Incoming Source - "Give 'em what they want"

Praz

Reaction score
http://www.incoming-source.net

Yesterday was a great day. October 14th was the first 'major' playtest of Incoming Source over a network game.
It went great, we had around 8 players the entire time and got some great feedback and media (including both images and a video trailer).
Thanks to Dimension Studios as well as one of our developers, Plumpman for hosting servers during the testing process.

I feel some sort of self-accomplishment as I hit what I aimed for, which to me, personally, is one of the harder aspects of game development.. and that is nailing the 'fun factor'. Playing with that many people in our developers beta was really fun. My goal was for that as well as having the 'feeling' of needing to come back and play more, and it was alot of fun to say the least.

Now, of course there were some bugs, but thats expected through the testing phases. Some good ones were issues with the TAB key (player lists) making your view models go invisible and forcing you to switch to grenades and back to view it.
Another 'great' bug was that no matter which team won the round (by destryoing the other teams generator), 'The Carriers Win" no matter what.

Rest assured, all will be fixed.
Testing took place on Jenn0_bing's map, vt_catchment. This map is not-vehicle based so no vehicles were tested in this phase. That is planned for the next test which will take place on thecraftsman's vt_bare.

Features that were tested include:
The ViTAL Game Mode / The weapons (both teams) / Radio commands / Iron Sights / Weapon Damage / Recoil / Melee Attacks / and a variety of other things.

And a small note. On the one day we have a big test planned, my graphics card in my laptop that I use decides to go buggers and make the spec maps appear weird, having a large purple mass of color go over the specular map areas. so in image 01.. the grates had that, so I desaturated them in order to not take away from the overall image composition, just because my laptop decided to love the weiner during the tests.

I'm pleased to present some media that the people have been craving, so heres that:
5 minute Gameplay 'Combat' Trailer

(49.4mb)

Until next time.
^^iSource Development Team.
http://www.incoming-source.net

"give them a bite and they want a meal"

One step at a time, punk. =)

Dinos plz.

Good update, dling video now.

I had to watch the video on mute, but the guns look good - F2000 i noticed. Also i see you're using the Halo style grenade throwing style which is nice. Good work, although it did seem to be just team deathmatch from what i could see, and no dinosaurs. So i'm wondering what sets you guys apart?

without dinosaurs this is a fairly ordinary (yet pretty darn cool, no doubting that) deathmatch/team deathmatch

This is just a 'combat' trailer.. random gun-play segments peiced together. No real footage here that would truely explain the game mode, although their are scents of it in the video such as the early part where the keypad on the wall changes and displays 'hacked'. You can expect a video to demonstrate the game-mode in the near future.

Look forward to it Praz, that video evidently doesn't do your mod justice if there is a whole other level to the mod.

Its a custom-created song by our audio developer from Australia... his voice as well, obviously modified.

Next test is planned for this coming saturday... if all goes well and real-life doesnt shit on me, It should be ready shortly after that as we are currently squashing some 'entertaining' bugs we encountered in the last test...

such as no matter what team completes all of the objectives, the Carrier Marines always win.. that one has been fixed yesterday.

But stay tuned sirs.
^David.

It's also based on LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out".

Dude, as a team member of a released mod, let me promise you that you MUST test with at least 20 people before you release :p Or else you will never catch the lag issues in time!

About the mod though, cool that you are releasing so often and such, but if dinosaurs are the thing that sets your mod apart, where the hell are they? :p You know that if they are put in, it will be the most used feature. I say get the other shit up and running in a basic sense, and get the most fundamental gameplay portion up which is the dino's.

Going back to Eternal-Silence as an example (since we're released). We had lots of playtests before we had space in, but then once we put space in, it was a whole new ball game! I wish we would have taken a little bit of focus off of infantry and more towards space (granted the coders were getting their feet wet with infantry before moving onto the complicated space). I suggest you guys put in dino's ASAP because it's first what everyone wants, and second is a fundamental gameplay aspect. You can't exactly playtest a game if you were missing fundamental pieces cause they totally change the gameplay of the mod entirely.

Just some suggestions though, good luck with the mod. ;)

Back