Insurgency 2.1 Info and 3.0 Sneak Peak

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's been two lengthy updates on the website. First off is some new info on the next release - 2.1.
As promised, we want to give you some more frequent updates about the development of Insurgency 2.1, our next release. We're currently knee deep into its development, and there are still a few pieces that have to come together before we can give you the exact details of the release date - we wouldn't like to miss it![br]

Here is some of the progress done on Beta 2.1, that will be added to the changelog that we published a few weeks ago:[br]

Movement / Animation improvements:
  • Implemented slow crawling while reloading
  • Implemented reloading while crawling
  • Better ironsight response while crawling
  • Better movement while crawling
  • Added the ability to strafe a little while sprinting
  • Implemented reloading while sprinting
  • Fixed animation lagging issue when you have low framerates

Additionally, animation playback has been improved so the animations will look much better in 2.1. Three maps have also received updates: Karkar, Ramad and Samawah. Below are two shots from Samawah.[br]

newsspacer.gif
[br]

With regards to 3.0, they tell us development has already started and there is a large sneak peak on the site. There is a long list of features as well as some new media.
  • Insurgency Beta 3 will be be powered by the Orange Box Engine by Valve.
  • It will feature a new theatre of war: Kosovo.
  • The sides fighting for Kosovo will be the British Army and a fictional paramilitary group, the Serbian Liberation Army.
  • This new content will be seamlessly integrated with the rest of the mod.
  • The existing Insurgency content will be ported to the new engine and upgraded to make use of the features of the Orange Box engine.
  • While Beta 3 is being developed, the current branch of Insurgency will be supported: patches and updates will be released on a regular basis. 2.1 will receive map updates and additional content whenever possible, as long as it's compatible with the current engine and code.
  • The current game modes will be streamlined and redesigned to provide a much more satisfying, immersive and enjoyable experience. Game modes and updated maps will be extensively tested before release.
  • The current fireteams / squads / classes system will be revamped with the objective of being much more intuitive and easy to understand.
  • Morale will play a key role in the new version. Players will gain morale with good teamplay, skill, and support actions.
  • A "Tier" System will be introduced. This system will be tied in with your morale standing - giving you access to higher Tiers in weapons and accessories. The tier you have reached will disappear after you stop playing in that server. Good players will be able to reach the highest Tier after a few rounds. This will not be a persistent rank system.
  • Gameplay will be clear and instantly accesible for everyone.
  • The graphical interface of Insurgency will be completely redesigned. It will be much easier to navigate, choose your class, choose your allegiance, and customize your player's appearance and loadout. This is a requisite for building upon the customization options that we're implementing..
  • New customization options will include different choices for the player's appearance, choices of primary weapons, and choices of secondary weapons.
  • RPG's, C4, IEDs will be picked up from the map, and any player will be able to make use of them during the battle.
  • Several new maps will be included, not only for the Kosovo theatre, but also for the existing Middle East theatre.
  • New additions to the weapons will be included: M16 With Aimpoint, 1911 Pistol, UZI Sub Machine Gun, M240 Heavy Machine Gun, PKM Heavy Machine Gun, as well as other weapons for the British and Serbian teams. The details of their specific weaponry will come at a later time.

Some Pictures of the new GUI:
[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]

Pictures of a new map - ins_buhriz, located near Bagdad and the new H&K G3 gun.[br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif

I hope these new features will manage to elevate the game from mindnumbingly boring to something higher

It's got the visuals, but if you can only play it for a week or two...

This mod oozes with "mehness".
Seriously, is this is the best the hl2 mod community has to offer?
What happened to the good ol fun and innovative mods of hl 1?

All mods on the Source engine take massive dedication to get to release. The mod scene is not short of innovative ideas, it's just that most of the people with the ideas either don't have the dedication or haven't got the management skills to bring them to fruition. Insurgency is 5 years in the making, just to put it in perspective.

I think it is a realistic, though not innovative, and great game. Very fun to play in and the game tests your true skill. Crosshair in cs is for noob.

We are trying our best to define what we want for gameplay. Sadly you cant just write a bunch of text and think it works. Its trial and error :] thats why we are a beta to find our groove :] Sorry if you think the mod is full of "mehness" :[

I like the dedication and professionalism of the team alot. But the community is very elite sometimes and the gameplay is punishing. But my respects to them as always.

I work in a game studio and even my coworkers haven't have the management skills to put together a mod in our free time. Many props to anyone who can and does work on a mod. Insurgency is definitely something I've been keeping my eyes on.

This mod oozes with "mehness".
Seriously, is this is the best the hl2 mod community has to offer?
What happened to the good ol fun and innovative mods of hl 1?
:rolleyes:

The "fun, innovative mods"?

There were six or seven Half-life mods which tried amazingly new ideas. The rest were pretty standard shooter fare (as with today's HL2 mods). But that didn't stop all of them from being fun to play.

Props to the Insurgency team. :thumbs:

I don't know what version I played, but it was the first release I think. I didn't like it, not because it had bugs or anything, but because the gameplay wasn't my style. It was pretty polished. I guess I'd be willing to give it a try, but I doubt the core gameplay has changed that much. Kudos for the continuing support though.

We are trying our best to define what we want for gameplay. Sadly you cant just write a bunch of text and think it works. Its trial and error :] thats why we are a beta to find our groove :] Sorry if you think the mod is full of "mehness" :[

dont let the forum posts get you down, game is looking great and great gameplay takes iterative releases and fixes, looking forward to the next version :)

btw: check your pm's

change of engine

Surprised nobody noticed it in their beta 3 changelog.
They seem to be switching to the engine provided with the orange box.
If that's so: is this a free engine or do we have to buy the orange box for playing Insurgency in the future ?
I didn't buy the orange box, just TF2.

Monk.

Back