Interesting, I might be onto something!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wonkers said:
I was wondering who got the login and password. So a Valve employee just gave it to you?

I thought someone cracked that stuff. I know about jack when it comes to hacking so I assumed the "community" just found out.

It actually was written on the whiteboard, but the in the photo that was taden the left side of the board was cut off, making it impossible to figure out. So n30n e-mailed Valve to get the answer.

I wonder if this is going to turn into another 600+ post thread..

I doubt it, we aren't getting nearly the flood of:
"OMG!!11!!WTF1337SECRTSITE!1@# VALVEOWNZALL!11!w00t111!"
"I'm too lazy to read, what's the login name and password again?"
and we can't forget,
"I was asleep, what happened?!"
:p

TMPer Tantrum said:
Sorry if someone else has already said this, but using ROT13 on the text in the 'Important' text on the white board, you get
'HELL8, TOAR VISITORS'.

Probably old news
The 8 is a B, which equals an o.... wouldnt it be common sense that an 8 looks like a B, so, probally they mean a B instead? cuz it would make more sense for HELLO then HELL8 (shakes head in disapointment)

Daegon said:
it's like maybe it's maybeline but for letters.

yeah, Letters has become a HL2.net celebrity...ahhh..what star power does eh.. :)
on topic: seriously as mentioned already.. i think u guys are searching way too hard.. i think if Valve is going to do this again, it won't happen until some time next week or so.. and it won't be as complicated as some pple seem to think it is.

Keep an eye out for this headline:
"Second test has been delayed until Holiday Season, sorry for any inconvenience." ;)
I'm just giving you a hard time Valve, we all love you :thumbs:

using the keywords in google gives you only 1 result wich is a linux dictionary (click on "view as text"), where gman is mentionned (search the text for "gman"). They found this in the other thread. I wonder if we're supposed to do anything with it.

Element Alpha said:
using the keywords in google gives you only 1 result wich is a linux dictionary (click on "view as text"), where gman is mentionned (search the text for "gman"). They found this in the other thread. I wonder if we're supposed to do anything with it.

what keywords are you talking about?

<META content="congratulations, cleverness, illicit, snapshots" name=keywords>
Search in google for "congratulations, cleverness, illicit, snapshots" gives 1 result, in that result is he following text:

/F7 SF 0 607.8 M(gman)S
/F4 SF 36 594.6 M(small X/GTK+ based man\(1\) front-end Gman is nothing else but only a simple front-end for the)S
36 581.4 M(original man page system. The most basic job of gman is to build a database for all the man pages and)S
36 568.2 M(display them \(or part of them\) on the screen. When user decides to read a man page, gman will launch)S
36 555 M(a terminal window and call the original man system to display the man page in the window. Gman)S
36 541.8 M(can launch more than one terminal window at same time. And user can use the index search function)S
36 528.6 M(to look for the man pages that he needs. It's simple, but it's useful. From Debian 3.0r0 APT)S
/F7 SF 0 515.4 M(gmanedit)S
/F4 SF 36 502.2 M(GTK+/GNOME Man pages editor GNOME Manpages Editor is an editor for man pages that runs on)S
36 489 M(X with GTK. It's like most common HTML editors but more easy. You need to know manpages)S
36 475.8 M(format. You can learn it from 'man\(7\)'. From Debian 3.0r0 APT)S

I wonder if there was some clue hidden in the earlier Strider or Citadel pics that were given in the Secret directory? Anyone tried scanning them with one of those weird programs? I'd try, but I'm not sure how to...

This is hilarious, why would a coincidence like that occur? They only choose one website through the search and it happens to come up with stuff with gman and half life in it.

ah well...waits for august.

How do you know the meta tags were even meant to be put into google? And the fact that linux has a 'man' command, and that there's a version of linux (or something) that has a modified interface that is 'gman' instead of 'man' doesn't really surprise me in the slightest.

Also the fact that what it says about the gman hardly relates to half-life in even the most tenious of ways.

You're all desperately grasping for straws where there is nothing to grasp.

Lanthanide said:
How do you know the meta tags were even meant to be put into google?

Because that's what meta tags are used for.

Meta tags aren't "used for putting into search engines", they're used so search engines can more successfully classify a specific page.

Sure, it may have something to do with search engines, but that doesn't mean it's intended to be put into a search engine. And if it were, I think it'd be something a bit more obvious and relevant than some (massive) linux dictionary that just happens to mention a command called gman and the word "half-life" somewhere in it.

Also note that it's not technically a valid googlewhack because it's 4 words, not 2.

Lanthanide said:
Meta tags aren't "used for putting into search engines", they're used so search engines can more successfully classify a specific page.

Sure, it may have something to do with search engines, but that doesn't mean it's intended to be put into a search engine. And if it were, I think it'd be something a bit more obvious and relevant than some (massive) linux dictionary that just happens to mention a command called gman and the word "half-life" somewhere in it.

It's called a "google whack." http://google.weblogsinc.com/entry/0264041061650251 I'm not saying the linux site has any relevance whatsoever (Although it does seem suspicious that the words Valve included actually resulted in a google whack. I find it hard to believe that is just coincidence). I'm just pointing out that there is a reason people thought to put the words into a search engine.

Listen, we're going about this as if it were like the AI online puzzle. I don't know if you've ever taken part in one of these things, but if there is a meta tag "keywords" with 4 strange words in there for no reason, and it happens to be a googlewhack, then that is certainly deliberate and means something!!!!!

They aren't really that strange though. They're not really 'normal' either, for that matter (uncommon english words). It's not like it said something completely off topic like "orange hampster nightingale underwear", it says "congratulations, cleverness, illicit, snapshots".

It could just as easily be read as 'congratulations on your cleverness in finding our illicit snapshots' (because this is supposed to be a screenshot archive).

Basically what I'm saying is that those meta tags don't seem very suspicious or strange to me at all, given the context, so there's no reason to think that any googlewhack they happen to produce should mean anything (particularly when it's an irrelevant (and huge) linux dictionary)).

take it with a pinch of salt dude, we are just having some fun while waiting for the game, being all bitter about it doesn't help anyone.

I dont know if this means anything, but here are the characters that is used in Gordons ASCII art picture:

CJA3Ð M57 W®© '.!=*,@($¦%#

and rot13 conversion:

PWN3Ð Z57 J®© '.!=*,@($¦%#

:)

Hoppe said:
I dont know if this means anything, but here are the characters that is used in Gordons ASCII art picture:

CJA3Ð M57 W®© '.!=*,@($¦%#

and rot13 conversion:

PWN3Ð Z57 J®© '.!=*,@($¦%#

:)

Interesting, that "PWN3Ð" can't be accidental surely?

I'm back, and i only have a side note to add. I remember checking the properties of the hl2gnetman pic and it was created 6/23. So maybe the second test (if any) isnt ready yet.

One character has changed in that ASCII art bird.
Original:
Code:
                      .--.
                    ."  o \_
                 _.-"    ,( `
             _.-"      ,;;|
         .-=" _,"    ,,;;;'
     .-"`.-"``-..,,;;;;:'
     `"'`         `\`\
                   /^\ \

Now:
Code:
                      .+-.
                    ."  o \_
                 _.-"    ,( `
             _.-"      ,;;|
         .-=" _,"    ,,;;;'
     .-"`.-"``-..,,;;;;:'
     `"'`         `\`\
                   /^\ \

Valve guys are maybe playing with us =P

NO I DON't THINK SO!

I THINK THEY HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO! BUT TO WASTE TIME ON THIS SHIT! INSTEAD OF COMPLETING THE GAME!

OK so whats next? combine solders are gay? Pope is behind the resistance? or bush with his f-up ambitions is trying to take over half-life 2 universe?

GET A LIFE!

Platini said:
I THINK THEY HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO! BUT TO WASTE TIME ON THIS SHIT! INSTEAD OF COMPLETING THE GAME!

OK so whats next? combine solders are gay? Pope is behind the resistance? or bush with his f-up ambitions is trying to take over half-life 2 universe?

GET A LIFE!

Take a deep breath....hold it.....hold it......release...

Feeling any better now?

Neutrino said:
Take a deep breath....hold it.....hold it......release...

Feeling any better now?

Maybe he'll feel better when we jam a fork into his eye. It's worth a try right?

Looks like you'll need something with more girth to shut him up.

Platini said:

GET A LIFE!

hey! check your $@#&ing attitude at the door

why does it bother you that people are having fun with this?

for valve, PR is just as important as finishing the game

and for everyone else, they're just trying to have a little fun. even if it isn't anything, what's it to you? why do you care what they do with their time?

no need to be a little bitch about it

Uff, look...
it says: your cleverness is noted.
cleverness is the first word after congratulations, so it's the first test,
second test could be about illicit in that way...

in the linux dictionary google whak, illicit reffers to bruteforcing

bruteforcing...okaaayyy... so... lets go...

i took that dictionary, deleted all duplicate words and converted that file into a bruteforce dictionary file...

so i think next step is to bruteforce the site with this row of information.
here's the link: http://www.posi.ch/pub/dic.txt

username could be bird or birdman, gman, moss... something like that...
you could try to add the words of the whiteboard to my wordlist...

i didn't start the bruteforce attack yet... but i'll probably do that when i'm at home

greets from switzerland and sorry for my bad english...
i hope i did give you some ideas for breaking trough this quiz...

ACLeroK212 said:
hey! check your $@#&ing attitude at the door

why does it bother you that people are having fun with this?

for valve, PR is just as important as finishing the game

and for everyone else, they're just trying to have a little fun. even if it isn't anything, what's it to you? why do you care what they do with their time?

no need to be a little bitch about it

I think we have just seen yours havent we? LIKE I SAID GET A LIFE LOOSER!

By the way why dont you go and kiss gabes ass you moron!

Platini said:

a) That's "loser"
b) **** off to the steampowered.com forums where you belong

Anyway, has anybody noticed the ASCII gordon as a bald patch the perfectly fits for the bird above him. A message maybe like BIRDBRAIN!?!!!!!1111eleven!LOLw00t

Platini said:

lol, raging 12 year old with an attitude.....

everyone watch out!

we11er said:
a) That's "loser"
b) **** off to the steampowered.com forums where you belong

GOOD JOB NOW GO ON FIND SOME MORE COOL STUFF ABOUT HALF-LIFE 2, MAYBE LOOK AT THE BOARD PIC AGAIN? MAYBE YOU FIND SOMETHING NEW!? OR SEND THANK YOU VALVE!(KISS SOME ASS) NOTE TO GABE! LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back