Interview Questions for Doug Lombardi

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim8604

Reaction score
Hey guys. After some correspondence with Doug Lombardi I scored a possible interview with him over email. He's been so busy lately that someone else even responded on behalf of him to accept the interview. They said they'd be happy to within a few weeks. That was a few weeks ago, so now I'm ready to send out an email. If you have any questions that none of the other interviews/emails have seemed to answer yet, feel free to ask them now! I won't include all of them because he's very busy, but I'm sure the majority will make it in. Within any luck, he will respond back (eventually) with your answers ;).

And please, to keep the number of questions down, only two per person.

Are there any large outdoor field type maps?

How long will ATI keep offering the game with a 3dcard?

Oh :p Diddn't notice that, ill edit out two of the questions.

When are we going to see the next generation of SDKs from Valve? I.E. Source, VGUI2, and the enhanced extra features in the Steam Half-Life engine.

What percentage of the game is completed...?
Or
Can you give us some news about something please...?
OR
When is the F***ING game coming out...?

Its the same question but something like that is gotta be asked.

Will there be any involvement or Military intervention(of any sort) by a 'Realistic' State or Organization during the Game?
*Realistic meaning: a sovreign state or an organization whos existence can be seen today.

I dont know if this question has been asked.

how about what is going on with the rumor on gamespot
i would really like to know

1.) How is HL2 multiplayer mode coming along?

2.) What percentage of the team is working: the Single Player story/maps, Multiplayer tweaks and maps, and the Source Engine? Or is everyone working on all three as testing goes on?

thanks

edit:
or if one of those is already answered or not good,

3.) What visual difference might a 56k user see in terms of the realism of physics when playing online, compared to how a high-speed player would see it? Would some physical interactions be less or more accurate as the ping changes, or would the player's CPU take over and everyone experiences the same interactions?

What is Valve's marketing agenda for HL2 as it's release nears?

Has work on HL2 become 'stale', tiresome, unmotivated or disheartened, thus affecting morale, to the Valve team with so much time devoted to the game and seemingly no end in sight in the near future?

When is the game coming out?

What are you working on now?

And there are outdoor maps in HL2, just watch some of the E3 videos.

I'll say it again *sigh*

TF2?

Oh and If you want a question about HL2 specifically how about...
Since you delayed the game have you had any major revalations about what you want in the game?

They have said that they will say more about tf2 when hl2 has been released.

Yeah, they said that before sept 30th. I thought maybe they would release some info anyway.....

Heheh, I think I know just about everything valve has ever told us since they anounced HL2 :p

DAMNIT... how sad....... ;(

Will the difficulty level the player chooses determine the A.I. effectiveness at coordinating attacks, or the ability for enemies to dodge objects with the physics code, i.e. the dumpster and the I-beam?

Would you be willing to share with the community the different A.I abilities for the enemies, i.e. Run, Shoot, dodge bullets, smash doors, etc?

Will the AI in HL2 be as smart, or smarter then in Far Cry

...and didn't mr.badger do this exact same thing like a month ago, and we never got an interview :(

Yeah I was wondering about that too.

I was about to go searching for any reminants of it..

My Question:

Assuming changes have been made to source, will the performance of the radeon 9800 pro be worse than it was in the Half-Life 2 Benchmark Numbers released in september 03 or will it still be "more than adequate" at running source with DirectX 9 shaders at full floating point precision?

getName() said:
My Question:

Assuming changes have been made to source, will the performance of the radeon 9800 pro be worse than it was in the Half-Life 2 Benchmark Numbers released in september 03 or will it still be "more than adequate" at running source with DirectX 9 shaders at full floating point precision?

This has already been awnsered by Valve it self.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19050

In that thread Valve said that they are workin to make the game run the same on all vid cards. Which prolly means that they are gonna make the nVidia card run a lil faster, and Ati cards to run a lil slower, cause then it wouldn't be "fair" don't u think?

That doesn't answer my question, "Will performance change on the 9800 pro due to any changes which may have been implemented in source since september".

also I doubt that they would slow down the ati cards :)

Sorry if this has been asked before, just ignore it then.

1.) Will it be many different choices of vehicles in the game? We have seen for example, the buggy in action. So will it be anymore driveable vehicles in the game?

2.) Pretty dumb question, but will the crowbar in Half-Life 2 have a secondary attack?

Loke, if you want a spoiler I can answer #2?(not really a spoiler just beta experience)

Will enemies react according to where you hit them? ie, shooting a Combine soldier in the leg will make him limp. One criticism I've heard of Half Life is that enemy soldiers simply absorb bullets, then run off at normal speed.

dæmon said:
Will enemies react according to where you hit them? ie, shooting a Combine soldier in the leg will make him limp. One criticism I've heard of Half Life is that enemy soldiers simply absorb bullets, then run off at normal speed.

Yea, well those were the quake engine years

1.) Why doesn't the rest of Valve keep you in the loop?

2.) Have you had ANY PR experience before this job?

What the hell happened to the other interview?? Wasn't that with Rick Ellis or somebody? If this is another false alarm, screw it. I can't exactly think of the evil purpose in getting us to ask all these questions and then not answer them, but there must be one.

It's not our fault if Valve becomes too busy to follow through with interviews that they agree to. Don't take it out on us ;).

Q#1 Since some weapons are "real" in the source engine does that mean you can smack a grenade away with the crowbar?

Q#2 If so, would that also mean you could catch a grenade with the manipulator then blast it back?

I hope these arn't repeats. If so can someone give me a link to the answer

Would Windows 2000 or Windows XP be the optimum OS for the sole purpose of playing HL²?

Can I get a poster or something? :D ;)

1) Will CS2 be released around a few months after HL2 is released?

2) And if so, is it going to maintain the mouse movement properties that truly helped drive the first game into such success?

And apart from the interview questions, I know I can probably find the answer in a thread somewhere, but isn't Gooseman working with Valve on CS2? Just need some reassurance...

How did you feel announcing the delay? Was it difficult to do, knowing how many people were so excited about the game?

wonkers said:
Q#1 Since some weapons are "real" in the source engine does that mean you can smack a grenade away with the crowbar?

Q#2 If so, would that also mean you could catch a grenade with the manipulator then blast it back?
the first one I would like to know as well.

mine

Q:1) The infomation in the CNN article claimed that valve are targeting a summer release(or summer to complete the game), and in the same article, it states that Troika's Source Powered Vampire game Bloodlines would be delayed to 2005, this was quickly stated to be false by the developers. So is the valve/summer comment for sure?

Q:2) Forget this question if it was already asked but, can you pick up objects with your hand without the manipulator as well? or just push when you walk towards it?

thanks

Q1:Will the snark be makeing a return as a weapon/enemy,if so will there be a secondary fire.

Q2;Is Gabes father done yet so u can release the game ;)

Hiln, by hitting the use key you can pick up anything as long as it is light enough. You can also push things when you run into them.

Foxtrot said:
Hiln, by hitting the use key you can pick up anything as long as it is light enough. You can also push things when you run into them.

oh, nice. :)

wonkers said:

I hope these arn't repeats. If so can someone give me a link to the answer

well if Painkillers version of Havok 2.0 is any indication then yes you will be able to pick up any physical entity in the game world ans throw it back. but im assuming this game better have the ability to prime the grenades.

EDIt if your wondering why im using Painkiller as an example its because with the stake gun you can shoot a grenade into the air then shoot it with the stake at enemies which is pretty cool but takes alot of timing.

That's pretty cool. Although i'd much prefer catching a grenade with the manipulator and throwing it back :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back