Interview Questions for Doug Lombardi

Status
Not open for further replies.
mbrithoms said:
ask him

'does he realise because of his actions over the past year he has singlehandedly slashed a vast majority of HL2 hype amongst fans'

Oh yeah, I'm sure he's solely responsible for the HL2 delay, and Doug "The Devil" Lombardi said 'muhahaha, lets delay the game, and laugh at all those pathetic fans, muhahaha <insert maniacal laugh here>'

Tim, Whats the limit of questions that you can ask Valve, if you wan't to fill that quota just ask me, and I'll give you a bunch of questions to ask them.

PvtRyan, you could take the effort to read and understand what someone posts before commenting on it = you not looking like a fool.

Why should we ask him anything, apart some thechnical stuff he already talked about early last year, he just told us lies. Now the only reasonable thing to do is wait for that game then we will see!

I've got a question (don't think this has been asked before, but by the shear volume of fans...) anywho, ask him How long the game is in Gordon's point of view. Is the game timeframe in a couple days or is it much longer? How will the player see time pass? That would be cool. Never really could tell how many days passed in the original HL. I just remember maybe one or two night maps but that was it.

I reckon you will go through some sort of timeframe anomaly where characters around you starts to look slow, but your character stays at a constant, that would just so be the Matrix

DEATH eVADER said:
I reckon you will go through some sort of timeframe anomaly where characters around you starts to look slow, but your character stays at a constant, that would just so be the Matrix

was that an answer ot my question?

Not really, but it would be interesting to see with the time they've had, they might of included real-time day/night and weather.

I know I've alread asked me quota but this is important:

Could you ask if it would be possible to get a Free copy of HL2 to Flyingdebris,I mean the guy deserves it for that Headcrab alone and as Valve could do with a PR boost it would be perfect.

How much will HDR be implemented in the game/ how noticeable will it be?

In the videos when the gun is shooting, the left bar on the crosshair goes down. This is obviously supposed to show that your ammo is being depleted. However, the right bar on the crosshair never goes down even when the player it hit. So, if it isn't a health meter and it isn't an ammo meter.... what is it?

If you look at the health counter, it hardly goes down at all as the player is shot. I get the feeling damage was turned down for the video.

Epsi said:
If you look at the health counter, it hardly goes down at all as the player is shot. I get the feeling damage was turned down for the video.

I know, but I'm talking about this. (see attached image)

We know one of them is for ammo because the videos show one of the bars depleting when the gun is being shot, but the other bar never moves, even when the player is taking damage...

Attachments

• crosshairbars.JPG
    crosshairbars.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 284
Anthraxxx said:

We know one of them is for ammo because the videos show one of the bars depleting when the gun is being shot, but the other bar never moves, even when the player is taking damage...

I meant that the health change is so insignificant that you just can't see it on the cross-hair display.

Will multiplayer have bots? I would like to see a mod like DoD with bots and human players. It would really help push the reality of a large scale battle.

1) Has there been only negative consequences due to the code leak, or has Valve been able to "turn lemmons into lemmonade" and use the "extra" time to incorporate more features, fine tune gameplay, further enhance security and anti-cheat beyond where it was before the leak, add polish, etc... If so, can you give an example?

2) Not directly HL2 related, I know, but... Valve must have plans for CS beyond CS:CZ even though nothing has been stated as yet (its just a given considering its popularity), but can you at least address whether or not Valve sees the game's future as being broken down into two categories? i.e. The "oldschool" CS crowd, faithful to the 1.x version and the "new" CS crowd devoted to "2.0" or whatever you intend to call it. Basically, will there be enough similarities, and a "smooth" transition to a new Source powered CS version, or will it be a distinctly different game which will inevitably force the CS community into the above described groups?

I personally hope the game makes as smooth a transition as possible because it would be dissapointing to see the community break into pieces, like has happened to other games like the Quake series to name one.

How many Steam accounts have been created since steam went live ?

Epsi said:

its was, clearly, I think because, perhaps, yes thats it, their trying to make an intresting video to show off. it would suck if they got wooped 2 death by enemies easily. Or accidentally killed themselves off by falling :p

Anthraxxx said:

maby one is ammo in the clip and the other is overall ammo that your holding

Anthraxxx said:

Just wanted to point this out.... Estevan from these forums alerted me to this. If you listen carefully during the barricade video, at the part where the player starts zooming in at the combine after he travels a little down the street, you can see the right bar turn red (see attachment). This is accompanied by a little "bloop" sound, similar to the sound played when you were getting your health restored in Half-Life.

EDIT - Just noticed - before the bar turns red, the yellow bar fades all the way to the bottom.

Maybe it indicates what dirrection you are getting shot from? Because wasn't there a turret there? Or was it already destroyed?

Foxtrot said:
Maybe it indicates what dirrection you are getting shot from? Because wasn't there a turret there? Or was it already destroyed?

No, he blew the turret up with a grenade :).

the bars stand for this:

Left one means HEALTH

Right one means AMMO

simple :)

Yah thats what I thought too, but it is hard to tell in the videos because he never gets hurt much.

Foxtrot said:
Yah thats what I thought too, but it is hard to tell in the videos because he never gets hurt much.

yeah, but.. well.. i speak from experience :naughty:

HEY HEY HERES A GOOD ONE!!!!!!!!!!

During the video presentation at last years E3 show, we got to see an example using cameras pointed at the G Man.... Now using the dynamic LOD system if there was a camera in a room far away from the player and he was monitoring it on a video monitor, and there was a character in the room with the camera, would the player see the lowest LOD model since the other character is in the room so far away or would it be the highest LOD, (and can this be specified?)

Do we get to see Gordon freeman if you are looking in a mirror, or a camera is pointing at you and you see yourself in a tv monitor

DEATH eVADER said:
Do we get to see Gordon freeman if you are looking in a mirror, or a camera is pointing at you and you see yourself in a tv monitor

This was already answered, you won't see Gordon at all in the game.

Anyway, there's no way tim will be able to ask all these questions.. lol

They've said no already to that one, DEATH.

EDIT: Whoop, Shuzer beat me to it.

Shuzer said:
This was already answered, you won't see Gordon at all in the game.

Anyway, there's no way tim will be able to ask all these questions.. lol

Thats shite, you can see your character in other games through a mirror. Whats up with Freeman, is he a ****ing ghost or something, I'm pretty sure that valve would be able to put that feature in the source

Design decision, not a technical limitation.

It's like Gordon not speaking in HL1. He could have done, but they decided not to.

Epsi said:
Design decision, not a technical limitation.

It's like Gordon not speaking in HL1. He could have done, but they decided not to.

I would agree, if it weren't for the fact that he has no voice, but he HAS A FACE! It's been on the cover of magazines for gods sake. I see no reason for not having mirrors show Gordon.

BlazeKun said:
I would agree, if it weren't for the fact that he has no voice, but he HAS A FACE! It's been on the cover of magazines for gods sake. I see no reason for not having mirrors show Gordon.

thirdperson :)

yes, there was a console command in HL1 that changed the view to thirdperson, and you could see Gordon, just like in multiplayer games.

I'm not sure, I'm not even sure if the mod even has an interview with Valve, I'm not entirely sure if the world is round

BlazeKun said:

It's a phycological reason, it increases imersion. If you saw freeman stareing back at you when you looked in a mirror it would ruin the suspention of disbelief. If there's nothing there at all your mind can fill in the blanks.

It's a phycological reason, it increases imersion. If you saw freeman stareing back at you when you looked in a mirror it would ruin the suspention of disbelief. If there's nothing there at all your mind can fill in the blanks.

That is indeed a pretty good argument.
But it can also be argued that the immersion is more damaged by not seeing anything at all when "you" look in a mirror.

Not a big deal in my opinion.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back