Invisible arms while driving

G

This will be fixed right? I hope so, it looks so silly when the wheel turns itself.

Stalker pulls this off perfectly. Its like the camera is in the player models head. You dont only see the arms, but if you look hard left or right you see the top of the shoulders too. Flawless effect. I would be rather dissapointed if you dont atleast see the hand on the wheel in hl2. Seems lazy not to do it.

how is that an issue at all.. I think gabe said it would be unchanged.. im guessing that they want you to feel in control like its really you...or something

Yeah it doesn't bother me much.
It's not like you stare at the steering wheel when you're driving down the highway, right? :p

:cheers:

Truly, the fact that you don't like this particular design choice comes as a great shock and surprise to me, farva.

The point is to see as little of Gordon as possible. Only his hands on the guns. It's kind of wierd seeing no hands, but I like it. Hands are needed of guns, though, otherwise they would float.

I think there should be hands and whatnot. The only reason that there are none, laziness. We can see them for the guns, why not on the wheel?

I agree. And another thing thats been bothering me, is where the hell are the footstep sounds? I mean cmon people, thats the pinnacle of the fps experience!!!

Originally posted by mekilla
I think there SHOULD be hands and whatnot. The only reason that there are none, laziness.

Uh, no, not laziness. Valve are not the "lazy" type when it comes to games.

Originally posted by mekilla
I think there should be hands and whatnot. The only reason that there are none, laziness.

LOL. Yes, laziness. All the folks at Valve are quite the bunch of slackers, aren't they? All this time that they've supposedly been developing the game in their Kirkland offices they have in fact been down at Rick's strip club slamming 20s into g-strings from the profits that came from HL. In fact, there is no Half-Life 2. All the E3 footage was pre-rendered from hired geeks at Squaresoft.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
I agree. And another thing thats been bothering me, is where the hell are the footstep sounds? I mean cmon people, thats the pinnacle of the fps experience!!!

Listen to Bugbait again. Those are Gordans footsteps.

Originally posted by liminal
Listen to Bugbait again. Those are Gordans footsteps.

Sarcasm is a tool used by many people. Learn to detect it.

Gabe said a bunch of sounds weren't in as of e3, because they weren't finalized yet. Some were placeholders, some were just missing.

im not worried about such things as seeing my hands while im driving. Gabe said in a email that you wont see the hands, because he says you dont in real life? I think that if you cant see the hands you shouldnt see the steering wheel.

it was a design decision, not a technical limitation.

Hands are needed of guns, though, otherwise they would float.

Yea, and hands arent needed on steering wheels because they are perfectly capable of steering themselves, right?

Gabe said in a email that you wont see the hands, because he says you dont in real life?

I hope gabe isnt a big enough idiot to say such a thing. In the buggy in the e3 vid you saw like 3/4 of the steering wheel, you would deffinetly see the hands if thay had taken the time to put them in.

it was a design decision, not a technical limitation.

wtf ;o

Why are you guys saying your not supposed to see gordanic appendages? Whats the reason for this? To make you feel as if its you and not gordon there? That seems silly seeing how everyone calls you gordon by name. In the game you play the role of Gordon Freeman, thats who you are. It not up for grabs.

Seeing the hands adds to immersion. Its makes you feel more like you are really there.

Gabe Newell: You don't see your hands when you are driving and you don't see your feet pretty much ever.
Basically if your not gonna see his legs, your not seeing his arms either besides being equiped

Maybe Gordon steers with this hands on the bottom part of the steering wheel like some yuppies do.

Gabe said the reason they don't include hands is because when you're driving in real life you don't look at or see your hands.

Gabe said the reason they don't include hands is because when you're driving in real life you don't look at or see your hands.

Surly that cant be the real reason. You may not NOTICE your hands when you drive, but you dont notice the steering wheel either. Not anymore than you notice your hands on them anyway. Does that mean the steeringwheel should be taken away also?

When you drive your hands are in your feild of vision. When you focus on the wheel you notice them easily. It should be the same in any game that is trying to go for any sense of realism. Look at the e3 vid. The wheel shows enough thhat your hands SHOULD be visible. You WOULD see them if they were there. Its not like you wouldnt see them even if they were there.

i just dont give a shit.

Well that doesnt matter.

Most people would rather have the hands visible than have them not be there at all. For some people its a big deal. I was just curious after seeing it in the stalker vid and how cool it looked. It definetly looks better with hands/arms.

Well we wont know until release. So unless Someone mails gabe and he lets out the info. We wont know.

:dork:

You don't see the hands because it is supposed to be YOU driving the car. If the hands were there it would give an unnatural feel to the game because it's like seeing some one else's hand there. In real life, you don't really look at your hands to drive, you just feel the wheel- that's the feeling they are trying to replicate.

But don't worry about game design and stuff like that, just leave it to the pros. (if you've read about Stalker and most games coming out, you'll realize that they don't plan on showing bodies either, whether they can or cannot; this idea of 'feel' in a game is quite a widespread and effective one)

If you care so much, make a mod "HOSW: Hands On Steering Wheel" with new: HANDS ON WHEEL!

You don't see the hands because it is supposed to be YOU driving the car

Last time i checked, when i drive a car I HAVE HANDS.

If the hands were there it would give an unnatural feel to the game because it's like seeing some one else's hand there

LOL! Your playing a character. In hl2 you ARE gordon. Your playing the role of a character, its not like the identity of your character is left anonymous so that you could pretend its you.

In real life, you don't really look at your hands to drive

You dont really look at the wheel either, should it be in the game? In the game the feild of veiw is larg enoug hthat my hands SHOULD be visible.

you just feel the wheel- that's the feeling they are trying to replicate.

The fact that the wheel steers itself doesnt make me feel the wheel. It makes me wonder where the **** are my hands.

if you've read about Stalker..........they dont plan on showing bodies either

Actually, you see every part of the body you should see while driving the car. Meaning if you turn right and left your shoulder will be in the view as it would in real life. Your legs can even be seen if you look down far enough. Also, last time i checked you will be able to customize your character model to better suit you. So no, the body wont be absent. And what you people dont seem to get is that when it looks like your body is actually there it aid immersion, it doesnt destroy it.

If you want to feel like you are there, you should see yourself reprsented there. Being absent completly just looks silly.

Guys, the no hands on the wheels is a good thing, because as soon as I get my hands on that SDK, im going to make vehicles in Hammer that dont even HAVE a steering wheel! Just wait and see what kind of crazy things I come up with! *evil grin*

Oh yeah, also remember, we can drive with steering AND shoot a gun ontop the vehicle at the same time. Having both our hands seen as steering in game and then somehow having the turret work byitself would be very odd. The fact that they left out seeing your own hands is because not all vehicles are alike. They can't spend hours making a custom hand model and animation for every type of vehicle the player is going to drive. And its even better to leave them out entirely, thereby enabling mappers like myself to create custom vechiles of ANY type I want, without having to worry about players seeing gordons hands steering when the vehicle has a button interface for steering instead of a wheel for instance.

You don't get it.... You are still supposed to be YOU, Gordon Freeman (well it's more exciting that way). You already have hands that are using a mouse and keyboard- it is the way you interact with the world (you do not interact with hands/body that interact with the world). They (game developers) are trying to put you (as a person) *directly* into the world as opposed to seeing the world through someone elses eyes.

i was going to say that i wanted hands on the wheel, or at least 1. But now that you mention the whole dealy with different vehicles, i think you hit the nail right on the head. having no hands on the wheel is a helluva lot better than having hands appear where they don't belong later on.

still, it would be nice if someone modded in a hand or set of hands onto each vehicle's control area

Sorry, but my legs don't stick out in front of me out of my neck. I don't want my body parts getting in the way of my game. You have to take a dump in real life, and I don't want to do that in the game either.

Of course, anything the game does, farva will say it's wrong and sucky. Feeding trolls is a waste of time.

Kidrock: "i could care less about arms on the steering wheel."
well that's unlucky for you, because i personally COULDN'T care less.

gabe said that they aren't putting arms in. kinda silly i guess, because you see his arms when he is holding guns.

in HL1 trains just moved forward on their own though, and while it was a little silly, it wasn't awful...

Man, it will totally ruin my enjoyment of the game. What a travesty. May as well not even release it.

;)

Originally posted by ice101
Man, it will totally ruin my enjoyment of the game. What a travesty. May as well not even release it.

;)

Yea I agree, lets wright a petition to Valve!

I care. They want the game to feel real and be an example for racecar mods then this feature should be added. It would look silly to see people driving with no hands in multiplayer. If they can script it so you animate yourself to get in the car, they can script it so your hands grab the wheel, and I don’t think it’s much to ask for. I expect just about every other modern fps with cars will have the hands on the steering wheel.

To quote Bill O’Reilly

“You have entered a fanboy spin zone!”

something like that

I'm not gonna worry too much about this issue, i assume a moder will be able to include the arms easily in a racing mod of some sort.

Well seeing as Im sure driving will compose about 1% of the total game I dont see why people have their panties all in a twist.

Back