Invisible arms while driving

In multiplayer? Of course the players will have the hands on the wheel in third person view! It's only in first person view you can't see them! :)

I didn't even notice till people mentioned it. If your this critical you won't enjoy the game as much. Its just like the movies.

didn't he say the game would support steering wheels. i remember playing nascar 2003 it had no hands either. It just part of you feeling like gordon i think. if you see his hands on the wheel its like a puppet seeing its strings.

I figure that perhaps the reason there are no arms or the driving wheel is because you can look freely while in the car. When the arms are visible on weapons, they're always in front of you, as you point the gun wherever you're facing. In the car, your arms would always be on the wheel, and so looking round would allow you to see the sid of your arm, then your shoulders. And if you can see your shoulders, shouldn't you be able to see your whole torso? And then see your legs? It'd be plain wierd to have a cut off point, where your body is no longer visible.

Plus you'd be adding another 5000(?) odd polys in the form of your body, and since you're viewing them at very close range, you couldn't skimp on the resolution of the skin either. It seems like a lot of wasted graphical power for something that mostly serves to block your view of your surroundings, and so I figure it made sense from all angles. It probably is doable in a mod, but I think there's good reason why it's not going into the game for release.

Hands on the wheel would be a perfect example of IK. You could use this on a per-vehicle basis aswell thus removing the hands-in-wrong place problem.

And To fire the gun what about a button on the wheel? I mean having his hands on the wheel and the gun seeming fire itself is easier to explain away, a foot pedal to fire it perhaps, but a car which has a obselete steering wheel is a little more tricky.

And If you dont see your hands while driving a car, methinks you need to go to the optician.

However it's not mission-critical and would be an easy mod, and assuming the include the single player DLL in the SDK, you might even get it done before the game comes out, so you can do it anyway.

And I can have the "immersion" feel anyway cos I'll be stealing my brothers Driving wheel to play it :)

It's better like this, I you see hands and where going to shoot, the hands didn't act well, and it just isn't Half Life, Half Life needs to be without the hands... I won't miss him :) and if you made them in a car, you just had to make em push buttons etc.

lets not have a user interface at all because well... who cares

if you think a mod will remake HL2 to fix this problem you are dreaming

defend it all you want... say you dont care... it wont change the fact that its a shitty way to design a vehicle system.

Originally posted by Anwar

defend it all you want... say you dont care... it wont change the fact that its a shitty way to design a vehicle system.

You forgot ...."in my opinion."

Originally posted by Heavy_D
I figure that perhaps the reason there are no arms or the driving wheel is because you can look freely while in the car. When the arms are visible on weapons, they're always in front of you, as you point the gun wherever you're facing. In the car, your arms would always be on the wheel, and so looking round would allow you to see the sid of your arm, then your shoulders. And if you can see your shoulders, shouldn't you be able to see your whole torso? And then see your legs? It'd be plain wierd to have a cut off point, where your body is no longer visible.

Plus you'd be adding another 5000(?) odd polys in the form of your body, and since you're viewing them at very close range, you couldn't skimp on the resolution of the skin either. It seems like a lot of wasted graphical power for something that mostly serves to block your view of your surroundings, and so I figure it made sense from all angles. It probably is doable in a mod, but I think there's good reason why it's not going into the game for release.

ummm no...
The entire player model will have 5000 polys not his hands, where the hell did you get that idea? And they wont render the player anyways it will just render the hand much like when you hold a gun and reload there is an animation.
More important to me is the 3rd person view I hope that when you look at a guy in a car 3rd person he isn’t just sitting with his hands on his lap. How dumb looking would that be?
If they can’t make good looking hands then why bother with making all the facial animations…
I guess you are not old enough to drive because I know when I drive my hands are not blocking my view. Unless you are vertically challenged.

all of you 10 year olds go outside to mom and dads car

sit in the drivers seat (maybe bring a phone book to sit on)

look forward with your hands on the wheel

do you see them?

if not visit the eye doctor

all of you 10 year olds go outside to mom and dads car

sit in the drivers seat (maybe bring a phone book to sit on)

look forward with your hands on the wheel

do you see them?

if not visit the eye doctor

Well since the experience has been ruined for you, maybe you should pass up on HL2, as this major component of the game is "shitty". Either that, or stop crying about goddamn hands on a steering wheel and just be happy your getting the game in a month.

maybe you should learn that a forum is for discussion dumbass

and good job with the quote then not even giving a related reply

maybe you should learn that a forum is for discussion dumbass

Maybe you should learn that this forum is not for bitching and moaning over things that you have absolutely no control over. This argument ranks up there with the pay to play threads as the dumbest things Ive yet read on this board.

Ok you want a reply? Im 20, no phone book required. I see my hands, big deal. I wasnt aware HL2 was supposed to be ultra realistic. Ive never seen a zombie in real life. Should I bitch about them being there since they wouldnt be there in reality? No.

So what exactly is the big deal here?
In all the "hands-on-wheel" games i've seen so far, the animation looks crappy or very unrealistic, especially when doing some frantic fast driving and turning. Why bother if its going to look shitty anyway, and leaving it out has the benefits for the modders?

Anyways, it's such a small detail of huge game. Stop moaning already.

Originally posted by bastard_loud
So what exactly is the big deal here?
In all the "hands-on-wheel" games i've seen so far, the animation looks crappy or very unrealistic, especially when doing some frantic fast driving and turning. Why bother if its going to look shitty anyway, and leaving it out has the benefits for the modders?

Anyways, it's such a small detail of huge game. Stop moaning already.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Bass
Maybe you should learn that this forum is not for bitching and moaning over things that you have absolutely no control over. This argument ranks up there with the pay to play threads as the dumbest things Ive yet read on this board.

Look Bass...

You should clean the shit out of your ears because you can’t hear your own hypocrisy.

Now let us talk about facts.

This discussion is HL2 related.

It is about a HL2 feature.

It is on a Public forum so that people can voice their opinions.

You are not a moderator.

You are a hypocrite.

You are not in charge of anything.

You came here to post several times.

Each of your posts is a whine.

None of your post is based on facts.

Don’t forget people don’t care what you want to read and what you don’t.

You did forget you can ignore a thread.

I forgot the rule that says it must be a life and death situation to bring something up. I did not bring this up but I have an opinion that is offending so many fanboys.

Nice formatting,

I really don't care about the hands on the steering wheel, I noticed it, It kinda bugged me, but in the end I can live with it. Im definitally not going to be detered by it when I maul down a line of combines with it, would you be?

Well that was a lovely rant. My whole point was simply complaining about hands on a steering wheel in HL2 is the equivalent of complaining about the advertisments on the boards of a rink in NHL 2004.

No, it won't have a major impact on HL2. It should be in the game. I don't feel the car should appear to drive itself.

But if you want to pick apart every little aspect of the game to the point youll no doubt ruin the experience and be disappointed when you get the game, heres to ya :cheers:

Shut up bass you did not have a point you wanted to feel like you were important in some way. You arn't and you will just need to live with that.

Shut up bass you did not have a point you wanted to feel like you were important in some way. You arn't and you will just need to live with that.

Sorry if I dont find the cyber jabs of a random snot nosed kid over the net to be overly hurtful ;)

Bass
Feel free to actually read this thread. You will find that not one of your posts is anything more then a slam to someone else on this thread.

You will then also find that just about everyone who thought that the "hands on the wheel" was important in this topic actually had a reason for it. Many had facts.

Because you happen to not agree you feel it is your job to shun people and make fun of them. Not considering the facts they presented.

Instead of realizing forums are for a debate you try to insist that people opinions are not important.

Some people don’t care and that’s fine. Some people gave reasons for no hands to be on the wheel and that’s great. You had to go out of your way to try to make others feel like they can’t post. And implied that all who don’t agree with you are dumb.

As I have said you are the biggest of hypocrites. You make yourself out to be some tuff 20 year old guy that takes no shit from anyone in the same thread you flame everyone. Use your brain power for a change and actually enter a debate armed with knowledge and facts instead of trying to dumb down everyone else.

Bass
Feel free to actually read this thread. You will find that not one of your posts is anything more then a slam to someone else on this thread.

You will then also find that just about everyone who thought that the "hands on the wheel" was important in this topic actually had a reason for it. Many had facts.

Because you happen to not agree you feel it is your job to shun people and make fun of them. Not considering the facts they presented.

Instead of realizing forums are for a debate you try to insist that people opinions are not important.

Some people don’t care and that’s fine. Some people gave reasons for no hands to be on the wheel and that’s great. You had to go out of your way to try to make others feel like they can’t post. And implied that all who don’t agree with you are dumb.

As I have said you are the biggest of hypocrites. You make yourself out to be some tuff 20 year old guy that takes no shit from anyone in the same thread you flame everyone. Use your brain power for a change and actually enter a debate armed with knowledge and facts instead of trying to dumb down everyone else.

I cant be assed to read that and I feel bad you took the time to type it. My simple point is you are looking to hard for flaws in too small of areas. But dont listen to me, I am a hypocrit (by the way, I fail to see how "taking no shit" while at the same time "flaming" makes me a hypocrit. Im taking no shit and not taking other peoples shit). Personally I feel that there are some people who will find fault in everything, of which I feel you are one of.

PS. Anwar: feel free to just chill the f*ck out, its only a game. Is having no hands on the wheel going to ruin your life? No.

Bass
Use your brain power for a change and actually enter a debate armed with knowledge and facts instead of trying to dumb down everyone else.

I made it shorter for you just focus on this part.

I made it shorter for you just focus on this part.

Thank you, I dont think my brain could handle anything more complex. That 12 years of public school and 2 years so far of engineering in university while keeping consistently high grades is lost on me. Thank you for dumbing it down.

This could go on forever.

I didn't say you were an idiot. Nor do I think you are. You may even be a good person in real life. I said here in this forum you are not backing up your opinions with facts and reasons. Instead you are saying everyone who doesn't agree with you is dumb. I think you can disagree in a much better way then that. This is my last post because I know you want the last word I cant keep replying :-P

Last word ;)
Anyways, this got way out of hand. Simply I feel that having no hands when driving isnt a major issue, and you do. Lets leave it at that. Different strokes for different folks and whatnot.

Originally posted by spitcodfry
LOL. Yes, laziness. All the folks at Valve are quite the bunch of slackers, aren't they? All this time that they've supposedly been developing the game in their Kirkland offices they have in fact been down at Rick's strip club slamming 20s into g-strings from the profits that came from HL. In fact, there is no Half-Life 2. All the E3 footage was pre-rendered from hired geeks at Squaresoft.

Actually, I think you just described why 3DRealms / Duke Nukem Forever is MIA.

Originally posted by Democritus
Actually, I think you just described why 3DRealms / Duke Nukem Forever is MIA.

Its KIA if you ask me, vaporware, we'll never see it ;(

Next time something like this happens... you two should use the wonderful "pm" feature and avoid posting page after page of useless crap in a thread with an actual legitimate discussion.
All that bitching and name-calling does is make both of you look like idiots... especially since this discussion is entirely a matter of opinion.

You guys should email Valve, Id, GSC or any other game company and see why they don't let you see your body. If they give short answer, it will probably be "immersion", if they give a longer one, you would at least learn a lesson in game design.

Sheepfactory unless you want to be banned again read your private message.

You guys should email Valve, Id, GSC or any other game company and see why they don't let you see your body.

GSC= Stalker lets you see as much as your body when driving a car as you actually would in real life. And as stated they also give you the option of customizing your player model.

Id= In Doom3 not only will you see your body in in-game scripted sequences at times, but you will also see your body when you die. They will have numerous scripted animations for each monster to do when they kill you. You saw how the Hellknight ripped off your head and swallowed it in the e3 2002 demo. There will be multiple animations like that for different monsters. In them you will either see your body get ripped apart, eaten, or tossed around.

valve= nothing as far as your body goes.

If they give short answer, it will probably be "immersion", if they give a longer one, you would at least learn a lesson in game design.

Actually, most people would agree that the players hands turning the wheel would be more immersive than no hands at all.

How would no hands aid in immersion? I dont think anyone is really gonn alook at gordons hands and flip out like "OMFG wTf, my hands dont look like that! OMFG im not even there at all! Im really at my computer HOLY SHIET!"

Sheep, It's just Valve's decision not to show and do certain things. I'm sure that some mod team could just make a mod with vehicles that shows hands... :borg:

And oh yes, once again the famous line of the year:

"It's a design decision not a technical limitation."

Originally posted by Munro
Sheepfactory unless you want to be banned again read your private message.

rofl

on topic: personally i could go either way. i believe that valve could put hands on wheels if they felt like it and make it look godamn good too with all the animations etc.

the modding idea with having diff hand model for each vehicle is a great idea. well see how it all turns out in 27 days, 7 hours, 3 min and 37 seconds

Well, I will be fine either way. If you think about it though, it seems like seeing your hands on your steering wheel would immerse you more and I thought this was what Valve is aiming for. Having no hands kind of makes me think more "ok, i'm controlling this with a keyboard" rather than with a steering wheel. Like I said though, I don't really care either way.

I personaly would prefer not to see hands while driving. So I'm glad its not in.

Really, right now I think it is a matter of interaction with the computer. One day they want to put you right into the game world- some sort of 3d glasses + suit. As of now, I don't think the solution to that is to draw the 'player' on the screen- think arcade games with handheld plastic guns, they don't draw the gun on the screen for you.

Back