Invisible arms while driving

think arcade games with handheld plastic guns, they don't draw the gun on the screen for you.

Well, thats not a very good analogy. Its not like your using a steering wheel and foot pedals to drive the hl2 vehicles. They dont draw the gun for you because the gun is in your hand. The steeringwheel is not in your hand however.

Anyway, if they wont have it then they just wont have it. I was only curious. Some people will be happy, some people will be dissapointed. Some will think its more immersive, some wont. I guess its a matter of opinion like everything else.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to chime in.

The steering wheel is not in your hands but it's supposed to feel like it is...

I know, it sounds weird when I try to explain it...

There are definitely many ways of immersing the player. If you see 'your' body, it does make you feel like you're at least controlling something that's in the game world. If you don't, it's more like you are just 'you' and you experience the game world as solely you, but you don't get much visual feedback that you really exist there.
I guess this is why there can be so many games- there's so many ideas on how to make it good. :cheers:

Its the traditional way most FPSs do it

In MOST FPS games, you DONT see your feet or anything else besides your hands. They do this so you can actually use your *Gasp* imagination to think of what it looks like

I don't feel the car should appear to drive itself.

it won't, because you'll be driving it :afro:

There are definitely many ways of immersing the player. If you see 'your' body, it does make you feel like you're at least controlling something that's in the game world. If you don't, it's more like you are just 'you' and you experience the game world as solely you, but you don't get much visual feedback that you really exist there.

exactly! If you see everything then it'll just feel like you're watching that character perform actions, with you simply controlling him. But without hands, it'll seem like YOU are actually there. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it does to me. That's the reason I don't like Jedi Outcast, because it feels like your just watching Kyle Katarn's story, and it's less immersive than half life IMO

Its probably a mind control car duh. :) :) :) :) :)

Some people called this thread pointless, others saw such a point they started yelling at other people about their beliefs. Crazy huh.

Back