Irritating things

K

kansel

Hi there. I have a couple of problems with HL2 and I hoped there'd be some technically wise HL2 fans here to help me...

First, there's this strange lack of ejecting shells in Gordon's Beretta 9mm handgun. The gun doesn't eject anything! But the enemies' Berettas _do_ eject shells! Why on earth doesn't _my_ handgun eject shells? The SMG however does eject brass normally. Very, VERY strange.

The second problem is the lack of environmental muzzleflash. When a gun fires in the dark, only the gun itself and the guy shooting are illuminated by the flash, but the surrounding environment is not! A serious lack of realism.

The third abnormality has to do with ragdoll bodies. They don't collide with physical objects (like trash cans, barrels, boxes and other _movable_ stuff). They simply merge through all movable objects like ghosts! They don't merge through other bodies, only objects! A realism glitch from the stone age, for heaven's sake! Could the ragdolls be forced to collide with the objects somehow, with some config command?

The tech specs of my PC are:

- Abit NF7-S2G motherboard
- AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Barton 400MHz FSB, running slightly overclocked, about 2310MHz - 210X11.0)
- 1024MB DDR RAM (PC3200)
- Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

Has anyone had lacks of features like thesein HL2? If _anyone_ knows _anything_ related to these matters, _please_ answer this message! Don't leave this thread unanswered! Thank you.

I can't help you with the first two problems, but cl_ragdoll_collide 1 i think the command is to fix the third one. im not sure on the under scores in it, but it should come up in the console as you type the start. Anyhow set it to '1' and they wont clip through walls.

there is a command in the console about ejecting brass dont remember what it is though

The muzzel flash thing has already been discused, and we've determined that it only lights up actors (barrels, characters, breakable fences) not geometry (walls, floors).

And to confir the command it's "cl_ragdoll_collide 1"

well that not a handheld weapon, so valve had more time to work on specific area lighting for stationary turrets

Doesn't Counter Strike Source make the surroundings light up when you shoot?

yup... at least for other players it does, im not sure if you see the wall light up around you when you shoot though.

CS Source lights up anything in range when you shoot, so, Halflife2 is capable of it, but doesn't for whatever reason.

diluted said:
yup... at least for other players it does, im not sure if you see the wall light up around you when you shoot though.

Yeah its for other players. Another thing, when I spectate someone in first person view, I see their shadow. It would be cool to see your won shadow while playing, I don't know why we can't.

Also, the crowbar leaving a bullethole instead of a scratch is highly annoying to me.

No for me the far worst part of halflife 2 was the horrible battle AI for your allies. When I told them to stay behind a wall when there's snipers it doesn't matter eventually the run out and get smoked. I hate how they fight too they all fight as if they're blind.

Also, the crowbar leaving a bullethole instead of a scratch is highly annoying to me.

Thank god I am not the only one who thinks this. Why can they not fix this? I'd also like to see it be material specific. I.E. Takes a jagged chunk out of wooden crates, gouges metal objects etc.

I couldn't have said it better

colson said:
No for me the far worst part of halflife 2 was the horrible battle AI for your allies. When I told them to stay behind a wall when there's snipers it doesn't matter eventually the run out and get smoked. I hate how they fight too they all fight as if they're blind.

I couldn't agree more, and I couldn't have said it better.

How many times I was spitting out cusswords all at my t.v. becuase they kept getting in my way, especially in the buildings.

Anti-Citizen one is the biggest culprit, I almost threw my new monitor through the wall

Anyway valve or steam is set to release Light sourcing or something, you can read about it... somewhere lol

I hate games where you have a team of CPU NPC's helping you, its like, just get the **** out of my way.

Not only that but they screw up my framerate lol

It's the constrictive levels rather than the A.I. I regularily get blocked by teammates in lockdown.

Hectic Glenn said:
I can't help you with the first two problems, but cl_ragdoll_collide 1 i think the command is to fix the third one. im not sure on the under scores in it, but it should come up in the console as you type the start. Anyhow set it to '1' and they wont clip through walls.

Well, the problem is that they do collide with static objects like walls. And they also impact on other ragdoll bodies. But any movable, physical object is air to them. Something to do with processors 3D power?

I always just sent my teammates out to die. Then I went through killing like normal lol.

there are no waves in the sea even though you can here them crashing on the beach

OK, i just have to say i havent even noticed alot of these thigns haha.....like the crowbar leaving bulletholes instead of scrape marks.....you people take look into every detail to much lol..

It's a game, enjoy it.

EDIT:

john3571000 said:
there are no waves in the sea even though you can here them crashing on the beach

0h n03z!

Well lets see
-Enemies that are shot to death turn intp gosts and have everything clip through them. When you shoot them the bullet just goes throw them and hits the ground under it but it still moves in a weird fashion. Most dead bodies don't react to explosions.
-The exact same hole is used on every material (except metal or wood).
-Stupid allies.
Static watter at the beach. ( As much as I dislike FarCry the water at the shore was actually moving and looked really nice.)
-Some surfaces have extremely crappy looking textures.

It's a great game but a lot of things i said could just have been fixed in a couple of patches making it near perfect.

Yombi said:
OK, i just have to say i havent even noticed alot of these thigns haha.....like the crowbar leaving bulletholes instead of scrape marks.....you people take look into every detail to much lol..

There is no reason why they should have scrape marks. If you've ever played an older game called Global Operations their knife left a slash mark on the wall and the players. You could give a player a huge gash across their face and it looked awesome. The secondary was a forward stab with the knife. It left a thin like the size of the blade like it was supose to on everything. If a game that was made in 2002 could do it I think Half-Life 2 could easily do it.

Pressure said:
There is no reason why they should have scrape marks. If you've ever played an older game called Global Operations their knife left a slash mark on the wall and the players. You could give a player a huge gash across their face and it looked awesome. The secondary was a forward stab with the knife. It left a thin like the size of the blade like it was supose to on everything. If a game that was made in 2002 could do it I think Half-Life 2 could easily do it.

I know it can be done, but i just didn't realise how many people picked that up lol (about HL2).

Yombi said:
I know it can be done, but i just didn't realise how many people picked that up lol (about HL2).

Well it's blatently obvious when you hit something and see a bullet hole lol.

Pressure said:
Well it's blatently obvious when you hit something and see a bullet hole lol.

Then I must'nt be very observent....or I just want to finish the game :p

kansel said:
The second problem is the lack of environmental muzzleflash. When a gun fires in the dark, only the gun itself and the guy shooting are illuminated by the flash, but the surrounding environment is not! A serious lack of realism.

In real life, guns do not light up the area around them. In fact you cannot see muzzle flash in day light (unless your looking at some major fire power). :sniper:

We are just observing things that could use quick improvement.

Shoot, it sounds like you guys already have some good ideas for HL3. I'm fine with the way it is, though I don't even have a very good video card, but it's people like you that push the limits of gaming. I really do need to get a better video card...

Video games have started moving past the realm of being strictly entertainment and have started making inroads as an art form.

Artists should demand perfection of their work. Da Vinchi didn't paint Mona Lisa's face properly and just smudge the background. Michelangelo didn't carefully sculpt David's head and just sort of rough out his body.

Video game production tech. has come far enough that the little things can be addressed easily and cheaply. There is no reason for any detail to be overlooked.

The first game to truly be art will be one with a fully interactive enviroment. Each type of object will have it's own type of breaking action and sound that would be unique and consistant to the action causing it. I saw a special not long ago on a programmer who came up with a way to realistically and easily simulate any object breaking. I can't wait for it to be implemented.

GhostFox said:
Video games have started moving past the realm of being strictly entertainment and have started making inroads as an art form.

Yes.

GhostFox said:
The first game to truly be art will be one with a fully interactive enviroment. Each type of object will have it's own type of breaking action and sound that would be unique and consistant to the action causing it. I saw a special not long ago on a programmer who came up with a way to realistically and easily simulate any object breaking. I can't wait for it to be implemented.

Me neither, but I'm betting it's several years away from appearing on my screen.

GhostFox said:
Video game production tech. has come far enough that the little things can be addressed easily and cheaply. There is no reason for any detail to be overlooked.

Utter nonsense! It's the details that take the time, and every game is up against time and budget restraints and ends up full of little details the programmers wish they had time and money to deal with.

Back