Is Gordon...?

tCh

Reaction score
I get the feeling of WWII-ish style Concentration Camps and Ghettos from what i've read from the gamespy, gamespot and ign previews.

Yup, sounds like one hell of an opresive regieme.

Time to kick combine but me thinks! :hmph:

that screen shot where those combines are one citizen and arresting another is pretty derpressing, kudos to the atmosphere!

they do a very good job with it (at least how it is described and how screenshots look) it is also reminiscant (as mentioned earlier) of the book 1984.

They oppress smart people instead of jewish descent. That's it!

A homosexual?....

Not in Alyx has anything to do with it.

'Come to Doctor Freeman, Daddy said he'd be away for a while....'

sounds like the combine are a sort of "S.S." maybe the last boss is like some sort of alien Henrich Himmler.... anyways the combine dont seem to like humans to much

RoguePsi said:
A homosexual?....

Not in Alyx has anything to do with it.

'Come to Doctor Freeman, Daddy said he'd be away for a while....'
Ahahaha, that's exactly what I was expecting too! :LOL:

I like seeing the influences that laidlaw has braught into the story, ive been reminded of alot of things so far, 1984, War of the Worlds, The Birds, Night of the Living Dead, The Abyss (or Final Fantasy), as well as historical moments like the europian campaign in WW2, and the soviet occupations and uprisings, kinda captures alot of stuff in one go for me.

Im hearing 1984 alot. I always pictured the world in 1984 to be a lot darker than that, but I see theres definately a communism them in city 17.

Mmmmmm communism.

Yeah, a lot of articles have used the word "Orwellian" to describe the place which seems to be the ideal piece of vocabulary to use. Sounds like a very cool atmosphere, showing Gordon the oppressive regime so that you will fight that much harder against the Combine.

But you have to admit that the Combine bear a striking resemblance to the Marines in HL1. Strict, merciless and cruel.

famas_man said:
Im hearing 1984 alot. I always pictured the world in 1984 to be a lot darker than that, but I see theres definately a communism them in city 17.

Mmmmmm communism.

The 1984 refrence is just an influence, im sure hl2s setting will be quite different, but the idea of monitors and screens all over the city with the ominous head of the city leader dictating to everyone is a real reminder of that story, it adds depth and makes u think about other things while ur following the main story, its quite cool :O

1984 focuses on a Totalitarian regime, not Communism. There's a pretty big difference, Communism isn't nearly as oppressive. I believe Half-Life 2 will be similar to this, at least in the setting. This idea has been explored extensively in literature but also recently in movies, such as Equilibrium. The only games I can think of that focus on this is Manhunt (to an extent), Jak 2, and now Half-Life 2.

1984 seems like a much less vivid society in architecture and social structure than HL2.
Everthing is uniform.

anyone seen the film Brazil?

famas_man said:
but I see theres definately a communism them in city 17.

Mmmmmm communism.

I'm in China right now, i gotta say this bastion of communism is a hell of a lot different from the HL2 world.

I'd also have to see the place as far more of a facist state, mister despot administrator and his loyal minions torturing the locals.

Where is the communism bit? the fact it's Eastern European... :dozey:

tCh said:
I get the feeling of WWII-ish style Concentration Camps and Ghettos from what i've read from the gamespy, gamespot and ign previews.
I reallly hope not, that would be hitting to close to home. I am pretty sure the point of video games is to take us away from reality not frag us down with it.

Rupertvdb said:
I'm in China right now, i gotta say this bastion of communism is a hell of a lot different from the HL2 world.

I'd also have to see the place as far more of a facist state, mister despot administrator and his loyal minions torturing the locals.

Where is the communism bit? the fact it's Eastern European... :dozey:

Um, I don't think China qualfies as a true communist state, they are more like, we are communists now buy our cheep products, which in a communist state would not happen because there is no selling of goods.

have you read Night by Elie Wiesel or something... thats a good book. but what i meant was "Is Gordon Jewish?"

Daiceman9 said:
Um, I don't think China qualfies as a true communist state, they are more like, we are communists now buy our cheep products, which in a communist state would not happen because there is no selling of goods.

....I was using a dash of sarcasm but my point stands, China is communist. They are the People's Republic of China under a communist leadership with summits of communist representatives deciding upon statutes and laws. Sure it is nothing like the ideal of communism but i don't think the Western World is exactly the ideal of Democracy.

On the no selling of goods point yu are totally correct if the globe was completely communist what is yours would be mine and what is mine, yours. In fact we wouldn't have those concepts, it would be simply ours. Don't get me started on the practicalities of this within a state let alone the current 'free market' which the globe enjoys today.

This may clarify China but if my main point is still misunderstood there is very little to suggest the combine are running some kind of communist state and what circumstantial evidence you may or may not see it seems wholly unlikely they want anyhting to do with equality.

I think folks are confusing Communism with the USSR under Stalin.
They're related, but not the same.

Even then, nothing this overt really occured.

Mechagodzilla said:
Even then, nothing this overt really occured.

It looks to me like the stuff that's happening in Iraq and such right now... :p

CNN cameramen= the scanners.
NAVO/US Soldiers= the combine.
Bush's head on every channel= Breen's screens.

Is Gordon.......GAY?!?.......IMHO i think he is.....WITH BARNEY!!

Anywho...i need to go to bed lol not slept for a while

Edit: YAY IM A BULLSQUID!

i get more of a feeling of east berlin before the wall came down,also anyone who has traveled east europe recognize that city?(i know its not real but what city more resembles those screenshots?)

Has anyone read "1984"? It's a book wich describes the future, as a place where no one can think for them selves, and where everything is controlled...and where there are pictures hangin everywhere of the leader...and where there is a big control building (called parliament of love) in the middle of the city.

Dont tell me that's all a coincidence

Yes, well done. That's the second time today I've seen you not quite up to current events. For the record: people have been comparing 1984 to City-17 for the ENTIRE thread!

Anyway, with that out of the way, it's totallitarian. Stalin's USSR was not communist. The problem with communism is that to maintain a communist society you must have a centralised government which of course destroys the whole point of being communists int he first place. Such is life. ;)

According to the playtests I've read, every time Gordon walks up to a Combine soldier to ask him his political views, the soldier whoops him. I somehow don't think the Combine care about politics.

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
sounds like the combine are a sort of "S.S." maybe the last boss is like some sort of alien Henrich Himmler.... anyways the combine dont seem to like humans to much

In PC Zone Valve were stated as saying....

"We wanted to create a pluassible opponent, and for you to beat them becuase you are a better scientist than they are"

ie. no big Return from castle wolfenstien super nazi zombie with mega armour.

Back